Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some Mac users who updated to Apple's latest macOS Sonoma 14.4 software release are experiencing connectivity issues with USB hubs and monitors with USB ports, with several reports of mice, keyboards, and other peripherals no longer being detected.

belkin-usb-c-hub.jpg

Users have taken to the MacRumors forums, Reddit, X (Twitter), and the Apple Support Community forums to relay their experiences, a selection of which we've reproduced below.

MacRumors forum member mjodotcom:
14.4 definitely breaks USB hub monitor functionality. Things worked without a hitch until my work MBP upgraded to 14.4 and now no devices are detected. On my personal MBP that is still on 14.3 everything is detected without issue. Clearly a OS related problem.
Reddit user Nobodys10:
I have my MacBook (MacBook Pro 16 M2 Pro) connected to my monitor (Gigabyte M34WQ 34 Inch IPS Ultrawide WQHD (3440 x 1440)) via a thunderbolt 3 cable.

I have my keyboard and mouse connected to the USB ports in my monitor. After updating, my keyboard and mouse are no longer being detected on my MacBook. Before updating, it was working fine.
Apple Support Community user LucaPascarella:
I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro M2 Max 64GB RAM and monitor Dell U3219Q; none of the USB peripherals connected to the Monitor's USB hub work.

On the contrary, all peripherals work fine when I attach a Windows computer to the Dell Monitor. In addition, I check every USB peripheral by attaching them directly to the Mac, and of course, they are working.

I rebooted the Mac and detached the power plug from the Monitor, trying any configurations or sequences of rebooting as possible. Nothing is working since the update to Sonoma 14.4.
X user Rhys Morgan:
Love that macOS 14.4 has completely killed the use of my display KVM. Just not picking up any USB devices plugged into my monitor (or even that my monitor is a USB hub too).
While Apple works on a fix, a handful of users have had some success by changing the setting "Allow accessories to connect" to "Ask for new accessories" under the Security section of System Settings ➝ Privacy & Security.

allow-accessories-to-connect-setting.jpg

Have you had a problem connecting peripherals over USB hubs since updating to macOS Sonoma 14.4? Let us know in the comments.

(Thanks, Matt!)

Article Link: macOS Sonoma 14.4 Causing USB Hub Issues for Some Users

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: decypher44

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Oh dear I would have thought that by 14.4 most issues would have been ironed out.
There’s always room for new issues and point upgrades are always a risk, waiting for x.y1 is the safer bet. I’m on 14.4 and the bug, or a similar issue is affecting my keyboard even when it’s connected directly to my mac mini.

• Wow
Reactions: polee

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Very glad I’m not the only one seeing this! I thought maybe some quirk of my Cooler Master GP27U monitor’s crappy firmware mixed with a change in 14.4 had meant macOS wouldn’t see the USB hub any more.
Hopefully this means it’ll be a priority for Apple to fix in a dot release.

Reactions: arkitect

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I have had a similar issue with an external SSD ever since I got my 14 inch MBP. The same external SSD works just fine on my MBP from 2012 but on the 14 inch, it just remains "dead", occasionally it randomly works but 90% of the time it does not. Its a SSD from my old Mac put into an external case

Reactions: DVD9

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
I have had a similar issue with an external SSD ever since I got my 14 inch MBP. The same external SSD works just fine on my MBP from 2012 but on the 14 inch, it just remains "dead", occasionally it randomly works but 90% of the time it does not. Its a SSD from my old Mac put into an external case

That that case have an external power supply? If not, that could be the issue.

Reactions: Killroy

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Interesting how that works out.

I hook my MBA into three different docks through the week. Two cheapo USB-C docks (either one is Belkin or both are) and a reference-style thunderbolt 4 dock at home. No issue found thus far. But now I get nervous :O

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
The update had to break something. This time was the turn of USB hubs.
Now it has become widely a routine, I don't see anything new about it anymore.
This. The hardware may be great but the software just isn’t what it used to be. The endless bugs has soured the Apple experience for me. I’ve slowed down my Apple purchases massively because the bugs are just too tiresome.

Last edited:

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
For me 14.4 broke clamshell mode on my MBA M1: It works for a few seconds after login until it suddenly cuts the signal to the external monitor and won’t wake up again unless I open the lid.

Since the monitor has an integrated USB hub (which still seems to work fine, as long as the MacBook is on), it might be related though. I’ll try the workaround above to see if it solves the issue.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I can’t install Sonoma on my external Samsung T7 Drive using an USB C connector, have to switch it over to an USB A connector for my M2 Mac mini.
I thought this was a different USB problem but maybe it’s related. :rolleyes:

Reactions: chrisone

InTeCredo

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2017
I have the same issues in the past with my 2010 MBP 17" and 2019 MBP 16", long before the Sonoma 14.4...

Once the external hard drives are mounted and connected, I could see the files and amount of used or available space. Then, suddenly, no files suddenly were shown in the Finder and the amount of used space is zero. Dismounting and remounting the drives did not resolve the issue. I had to dismount the drive first then disconnect the cable from the USB hub or computer then reconnect it and mount the drive again. The files are shown in the Finder again. The warning dialogue box always popped up that the drive was still in use and could not be dismounted: I had to force dismount it.

At first, I thought the issue was USB hub so I went through a couple of hubs, including Satechi. Berkin seems to be stabler than the previous hubs. I have wasted so much time searching for the solutions to this issue and getting really fed up.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
No issues for me (M1 Pro MacBook Pro) with a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock or a cheap Anker USB hub.

Is anyone seeing an issue with a hub that isn't integrated into a monitor?

2nd edit
: After a reboot the bad USB C port on the TB3 dock is not working. Got my hopes up too soon. It was the strangest thing because this morning was the first time the port has ever worked and again, the only thing that changed was the OS update. 🤷‍♂️ Looks like just a fluke.

Edit: What's really odd is that my CalDigit TB3 dock had a USB C port that didn't work before. I was doing some back and forth with CalDigit support and was going to send it in for service. I wasn't in a rush to do this because I really didn't need this port to be functioning -- I just wanted the device to work as expected and have the port be a usable option at some point. On a whim, after seeing this thread I thought to try it again. After updating to 14.4, it's now working!

Maybe the fix wasn't tied to the update, but it wasn't working a couple weeks ago when I last tried and the only change I made was the update to 14.4 -- I used the same cable and the same external SSD. I even tried plugging in a USB C hub into the previously non-working port and it works now.

Last edited:

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Connected to a ts4 running in clamshell mode. Dual display 144 hz. M1 Max. and I updated the ts4s thunderbolt nvm firmware as well as its usb pd firmware. And I don’t have any issues on Sonoma 14.4. I’m even booting off of a usb4 drive.

I was having usb dropouts particularly in Ventura which was a dumpster fire of bugs. But Sonoma hasn’t been too bad at all.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
Where is 'Allow accessories to connect'? If I search for it, I'm just sent to the bottom of the Privacy & Security panel where it is not?

View attachment 2358605
Try going to System Settings --> Privacy & Security without searching for allow accessories to connect. Then scroll down to the Security section of the window. It should be between the Allow application downloaded from and the FileVault settings.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
If only hadn't send all their decent developers onto that misguided car project

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Is it just me or are all complaints related to monitor use?

I've been using a couple USB hubs since the update no problem, but I'm using the HDMI port on the Mac and not the hub.

They seem to have updated a lot of stuff related to codename "exclave" which I'm guessing (hoping) has to do with GPU support. Just a wild guess but maybe they broke something there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.