Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than two hours after Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said a MacBook with either an 18.8-inch or 20.2-inch foldable screen would launch in 2026, display industry expert Ross Young has said the device will indeed feature around an 18.8-inch screen.

Foldable-Screen-MacBook-Concept-Astropad.jpg
A foldable-screen MacBook concept by Astropad

In a post on social media platform X, limited to his paying subscribers, Young said he expects the device to be equipped with an 18.76-inch display instead of a 20.25-inch display for "cost reasons." In a folded position, Kuo said an 18.8-inch MacBook would be similar in size to a traditional 13-inch or 14-inch MacBook.

It is expected that a MacBook with a foldable screen would feature an all-screen design with a virtual keyboard, but exact design details have yet to be rumored.

Kuo said Apple is aiming to make the foldable screen "as crease-free as possible," and he said this could result in the device being nearly as expensive as Apple's Vision Pro headset, which starts at $3,499. He also said the foldable-screen MacBook will be equipped with Apple's next-generation M5 chip, which has yet to be announced.

It seems like a foldable-screen MacBook is still a few years away, and Apple will firm up its plans for the device as its launch gets closer.

Article Link: MacBook With Foldable Display Will Actually Have 18.8-Inch Screen, Analyst Says

• Haha
Reactions: iPhilPHX

MarkDeMoss

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Is the M5 chip a few years away? Seems they'd want to release M5 sooner since the Snapdragon Elite has 40-45 trillion op/s compared the M4s 38 top/s.

Either way, sign me up for one.

Reactions: dabotsonline

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
This is what we get instead of an iPad with a real OS that allows us to use it as a tablet or computer. This somehow is going to be a Mac with MacOS that also is touch based and we can convert it into a tablet. Somehow I don’t think this is better than just giving us the ability to run MacOS or Mac apps on the iPad Pro.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
As a Z Fold owner, I think this would be fantastic. Although I just replaced my Z Fold 4 with an M4 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard 🤷‍♂️

The Z Fold won in portability but the iPad edges it out as a computer replacement, mostly due to the hardware keyboard. For travel, the Z Fold 4 worked phenomenally well despite its compact form factor (7.6" inner display). Typing on the Z Fold 4 screen was easier than typing on the iPad on-screen keyboard.

If Apple can pull off next-gen keyboard haptics that don't feel like a step backwards then this could be a hit. Of course Apple's pricing will keep this thing out of reach for the average consumer for years. Who knows, they may even implement some cool eye tracking extras from the Vision Pro to make things interesting.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Is the M5 chip a few years away? Seems they'd want to release M5 sooner since the Snapdragon Elite has 40-45 trillion op/s compared the M4s 38 top/s.

Either way, sign me up for one.
We are stuck at M4. Apple lost all the ability and talent to Nuvia/Qualcomm. Apple is doomed, Tim Apple can’t get it done./s

Last edited:

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I was doing some quick maths in my head on the drive home just now - I reckon 18.8 inches is pretty much exactly what you'd expect if you take the current 13" iPad Pro dimensions and make it foldable (i.e. putting 2 iPad Pro's side by side) - you go from a 13 inch 4:3 screen when folded up, to an 18.8 inch 3:2 screen when unfolded. I really hope this runs the iPadOS UI when folded (with touch) and then switches to the MacOS UI unfolded. Would be amazing...

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I was doing some quick maths in my head on the drive home just now - I reckon 18.8 inches is pretty much exactly what you'd expect if you take the current 13" iPad Pro dimensions and make it foldable (i.e. putting 2 iPad Pro's side by side) - you go from a 13 inch 4:3 screen when folded up, to an 18.8 inch 3:2 screen when unfolded. I really hope this runs the iPadOS UI when folded (with touch) and then switches to the MacOS UI unfolded. Would be amazing...
I hope it sticks to one OS. It was nightmare on those windows 2 in 1 devices.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Hopefully they would implement advanced haptics. Apple has done a good job of this in the past.
It's the raised feeling of a keyboard keys, and the F and J home keys - like I can just start typing this reply without even having to look down. On my iPad, I'd need to give it a glance before typing at minimum, and my speed is far slower on the iPad keyboard.

Would be interesting to see what Apple could do with haptics though, I'd be open-minded there to try out any solution they can build.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Interesting...

I trust that Apple can find a way. Much in the same way that we all laughed when iPhone first came out with virtual keyboard. All the Blackberry owners said it would never work, and yet here we are in a world where almost no phones have a physical keyboard.

And... of course it will be expensive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.