Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcqueen030609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024
I have been trying to find the right apple MacBook for me for quit some time and I need any experienced users help.

I am currently debating myself whether the base m3 MacBook pro will be enough for me or will the 8gb ram going to be a major issue.

I am planning to use the laptop for watching movies, web browsing(10-15tabs maximum), Microsoft word, facetime mostly. Not something too stressful. However I really like the Pro's screen compare to air and the extra port as well. I am aware that m3 air will be enough for my use but the better screen,speaker,ports is just too tempting.

I am here to ask is 8gb ram enough for my use? I am planning to use 5 years on this laptop potentially or is it better to get the 15MBA m3 16GB ram/512gb SSD?

Also in terms of price the base MBP is cheaper than the 15MBA by 80 pound.

Let me know

sinanziric

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
8 GB Major issue if we are looking into the next 4-5 years. Go for 16 GB or 18 GB you won't regret.

Problem is: 8 GB (right now) is barely OK, but requirements are going UP as you know (from year to year), and now you are stuck with 8 GB - you can imagine what is going to happen.

I've bought myself few days ago M3 pro 16" 18 GB RAM and I hope it will last 4 years. I expect in the 4th year that it will behave as OK computer for that what you have mentioned above.

So yeah, go for higher specs.

Now, if you are changing laptops every 1-2 years - then everything is fine.

mcqueen030609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024
8 GB Major issue if we are looking into the next 4-5 years. Go for 16 GB or 18 GB you won't regret.

Problem is: 8 GB (right now) is barely OK, but requirements are going UP as you know (from year to year), and now you are stuck with 8 GB - you can imagine what is going to happen.

I've bought myself few days ago M3 pro 16" 18 GB RAM and I hope it will last 4 years. I expect in the 4th year that it will behave as OK computer for that what you have mentioned above.

So yeah, go for higher specs.
Do you think i should just go for the m3 pro MBP if I'm going for m3 MBP 16/512 cuz the price diff is only 100 dollars and it offers so much more...

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

sinanziric

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
Do you think i should just go for the m3 pro MBP if I'm going for m3 MBP 16/512 cuz the price diff is only 100 dollars and it offers so much more...

Generally, rule of the thumb - when buying MacBooks - always buy something in between, never go for the cheapest and don't go for the best combination.

Base m3 pro (14 or 16) are (imo) the best options.

tiguanito

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
MBP also has a better cooling and doesn't throttle like the MBA
If you like better contrasts, HDR and smoother scrolling, the MBP is the clear winner. If you don't care and prefer a bigger screen then the MBA ..
( I'm currently trying to decide between the iPad Air 13 and MBP 14" mainly for travels, and occasional use at home )

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
The MBP is worth it for the Pro-Motion XDR display and extra battery.

If performance for the money and longevity are most important, I'll throw out a 3rd option: Apple Refurbished MBP 14" with M2 Pro. It is available for the same price as the base M3 MBP currently, will have the XDR display and 16GB of RAM. Disadvantage is not having the latest GPU features like Raytracing, but the M2's 16-core GPU is still ~50% faster at most things than the M3's 8-cores, and you'll take a battery life hit.

• Love

mcqueen030609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024

If performance for the money and longevity are most important, I'll throw out a 3rd option: Apple Refurbished MBP 14" with M2 Pro. It is available for the same price as the base M3 MBP currently, will have the XDR display and 16GB of RAM. Disadvantage is not having the latest GPU features like Raytracing, but the M2's 16-core GPU is still ~50% faster at most things than the M3's 8-cores, and you'll take a battery life hit.
I understand, i am just hesistating whether the better display,speaker and battery is worth GBP120. The thing is I have been eyeing for the m2 pro MacBook pro but in where I am buying it doesn't offer. I am buying from UAE. If they I will snatch it straight away. Just waiting and hesistating.... How much do you think is the appropriate price for m2 pro MacBook pro? 1400 GBP?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
“Future proofing” today is quite difficult with the AI Integration into the OS. I am quite confident “apple intelligence 2” is not too far away which will make todays machines “old”. So I would get the cheapest machine possible which meets your demands today.

• Love

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
“Future proofing” today is quite difficult with the AI Integration into the OS. I am quite confident “apple intelligence 2” is not too far away which will make todays machines “old”. So I would get the cheapest machine possible which meets your demands today.
Nonsense.
Apple Intelligence 1.0 won’t even be fully rolled out until next year, and it requires an M1 and up.
Yes, more features might be introduced in the future that require newer specifications, but that’s always going to happen.

Yes, but only if you can afford it.
8GB is definitely a stretch for five years down the line, but I don’t think it’s an apocalyptic disaster like people are trying to make it out to be.
Apple doesn’t differentiate their support timelines by RAM amount, so no matter if you go with eight or 16 GB today it’s going to get the same amount of software and security updates.
Even in five years, a machine with 8 GB of RAM will still be able to do all of the tasks you listed, YouTube and movie watching, Microsoft Word and FaceTime.

I’d even argue that if literally all you’re doing on the machine is browsing, watching and the occasional document editing, an iPad would be able to do all of these things, and for quite a bit less as well.

mcqueen030609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024
Nonsense.
Apple Intelligence 1.0 won’t even be fully rolled out until next year, and it requires an M1 and up.
Yes, more features might be introduced in the future that require newer specifications, but that’s always going to happen.

Yes, but only if you can afford it.
8GB is definitely a stretch for five years down the line, but I don’t think it’s an apocalyptic disaster like people are trying to make it out to be.
Apple doesn’t differentiate their support timelines by RAM amount, so no matter if you go with eight or 16 GB today it’s going to get the same amount of software and security updates.
Even in five years, a machine with 8 GB of RAM will still be able to do all of the tasks you listed, YouTube and movie watching, Microsoft Word and FaceTime.

I’d even argue that if literally all you’re doing on the machine is browsing, watching and the occasional document editing, an iPad would be able to do all of these things, and for quite a bit less as well.
Should i just get the m1 pro macbook pro with 16/1TB? its the one with 10 core 16core GPU.... I know its quite old but I think it will do the job definitely?

mcqueen030609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024

Yeah i agree but i think in where I live... m2 pro is almost the same price m3 pro laptop I think...what do u think about the m1 pro MBP 10core./16core GPU with 16GB ram and 1TB SSD.
Its an old device from 2021 but I think it has the best screen and nice speaker and the ports I need... would it be comparitvley slower than the normal m3?

_Mitchan1999

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2024
8GB ram is more than enough for your use cases. OP, let me know if you have any more questions that I can answer. If I were you then I would get the M2 13" MacBook Air or M3 13" or 15" MacBook Air or M3 14" MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: leifp

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
I do not recommend 8GB for a laptop you are planning to use for 5+ years. You are stuck with the RAM you have installed.

Make use of the SD Card slot if you feel like storage might be an issue in the future.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Your use case, unless you forgot to mention keeping half a million browser tabs open, does not require one iota more than 8GB RAM.

edit: any M series laptop will fill your requirements. The newer chips trickle down video editing power (M2 has abilities one needed an M1Pro to have), add CPU power (not even remotely an issue for your use case and barely one for my own, substantially more strenuous, use case), and improve the GPU (M3 adds mesh shading and ray tracing; if you don’t use pro CAD-like software or AAA game, irrelevant to you).

How long do you expect to use this laptop?

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Should i just get the m1 pro macbook pro with 16/1TB? its the one with 10 core 16core GPU.... I know it’s quite old but I think it will do the job definitely?
That is a great system and definitely will do you for as long as Apple releases macOS updates. macOS releases would be my sole consideration for getting newer hardware and there are always workarounds… but your use case will not remotely stress that system, neither now nor in five years…

EmanuelF

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013
Any M-generation cpu is good enough for day-to-day and more.
M-PRO CPUs - you'll be saving few minutes for some specific heavy workloads cases.
A larger screen is more immersive and useful than 120hz (120hz to me is barely noticeable IMO)
8gb will be barely enough for 2 open apps

• Haha
Reactions: StoneJack

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Should i just get the m1 pro macbook pro with 16/1TB? its the one with 10 core 16core GPU.... I know its quite old but I think it will do the job definitely?
The only reason I would advise against this is because at the end of the day that is a three years old machine that Apple hasn’t sold in a year and a half.
But if that doesn’t bother you, I pretty much think any Apple Silicon machine will be fine.
Even the $649 M1 MacBook Air should absolutely breeze through everything that you throw at it.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Personally, I'd get the MBA. Mainly for the 16 GB of RAM, but I also just love the MBA xD

As others have said, the 8 GB are absolutely fine for what you're doing now (in fact, I'm using an 8 GB M1 MBA to type this and it's perfectly fine for the occasional music recording, photo editing, office apps etc).
If I were to get a laptop now, however, 16 GB would be my choice because the software I'm using may get more resource hungry.

bellflyer14

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2024
I have been trying to find the right apple MacBook for me for quit some time and I need any experienced users help.

I am currently debating myself whether the base m3 MacBook pro will be enough for me or will the 8gb ram going to be a major issue.

I am planning to use the laptop for watching movies, web browsing(10-15tabs maximum), Microsoft word, facetime mostly. Not something too stressful. However I really like the Pro's screen compare to air and the extra port as well. I am aware that m3 air will be enough for my use but the better screen,speaker,ports is just too tempting.

I am here to ask is 8gb ram enough for my use? I am planning to use 5 years on this laptop potentially or is it better to get the 15MBA m3 16GB ram/512gb SSD?

Also in terms of price the base MBP is cheaper than the 15MBA by 80 pound.

Let me know
The MacBook Air 15" 16/512 is $100 off at Best Buy currently, making it $1599. I picked up a 14" M3 Pro MacBook Pro Friday. $300 off, making it $1699. To me, it's worth the extra $100. The screen is fantastic, 18gb memory is plenty enough for me and it's a great powerful machine. I gave my 8gb M2 Air to my son. 8gb is fine for your use case, as long as you don't have OCD and constantly look at the activity monitor. Several apps open, 15 browser tabs open, along with anything else and you'll be in swap with pressure in the yellow. Yellow is perfectly fine, it means you are getting what you paid for. Red pressure...close some things out and keep on trucking. Again, 8gb is fine for your use case. Now, how well will it age? That is the question. In several years time, 8gb might really becoming long in the tooth, non of us really know. Im loving my 18gb M3 pro MBP for $1699

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
The MacBook Air 15" 16/512 is $100 off at Best Buy currently, making it $1599. I picked up a 14" M3 Pro MacBook Pro Friday. $300 off, making it $1699. To me, it's worth the extra $100. The screen is fantastic, 18gb memory is plenty enough for me and it's a great powerful machine. I gave my 8gb M2 Air to my son. 8gb is fine for your use case, as long as you don't have OCD and constantly look at the activity monitor. Several apps open, 15 browser tabs open, along with anything else and you'll be in swap with pressure in the yellow. Yellow is perfectly fine, it means you are getting what you paid for. Red pressure...close some things out and keep on trucking. Again, 8gb is fine for your use case. Now, how well will it age? That is the question. In several years time, 8gb might really becoming long in the tooth, non of us really know. Im loving my 18gb M3 pro MBP for $1699
That $1699 option on Best Buy is currently the best deal across the board for a new MacBook.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Unless you know exactly why you need a pro machine (in which case you wouldn't be asking), then the Air is always going to be the better choice.
In a knee-jerk way, sure. But unless you see the difference in the screens, hear the difference in the speakers, and feel the difference in the weights and you’re coming at them blind (as many do, online) it’s more difficult (budgeting aside). Until my wife went to an Apple Store to play with the MBAir 13” and MBPro 14” “side by each” 🤗 it was a toss up. Once she did, there was no way to get her to budge from getting a MBPro (for her, it’s the speakers) and thus there is at least one, quite content, base M series chip shopper of the 14” MBPro out there…

Personally, since Apple no longer make a 12” MacBook and I’m more flexible in my tech choices than I’ve been able to be in the past, my 16” MBPro has Desktop Duty and my 11” iPad Pro is my portable computer. When it comes to portability, I value portability the most… but I’m unwilling to give up on a great screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.