Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KarlsMoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Hello everyone!

I have an M1 Macbook Air with 16GB, 256GB. The last time I updated my OS on this machine was way back, so it is currently on 11.4. I seem to remember reading about the then upcoming update being somewhat subpar, and I simply decided to stay with 11.4, because things had been running smoothly. I am not a power user by any means, but I am now curious about the latest OS. With my particular machine, would I be better off updating to the latest version of Sonoma, or the latest version of Big Sur? A clean install is out of the question. I have a fresh backup on an external SSD.

Thanks! And sorry, if the question is very basic or even stupid...

KarlsMoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
I have that with 8GB RAM and Sonoma is running well. If you waited that long, maybe wait a little bit more for Sonoma 14.4.
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I am definitely doing the Sonoma update.

Is there a specific reason to hold out for the next update? Added performance, security, relevant features?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I am definitely doing the Sonoma update.

Is there a specific reason to hold out for the next update? Added performance, security, relevant features?
You could wait forever, but 11.4 is way out of date and Big Sur was fairly buggy so you're probably better off updating now.

KarlsMoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
You could wait forever, but 11.4 is way out of date and Big Sur was fairly buggy so you're probably better off updating now.
Yes, and I even set the blue desktop background from Mac OS X Tiger when I got this M1 Macbook Air as a throwback to my very first Mac (white Macbook), so it is truly a ridiculous configuration. But yeah, gonna update overnight, thanks everyone, this has saved me a lot of time.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

NazleenaShaariin

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2024
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.