Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattyd1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2024
Hello everyone!

After about 10 years away Im looking to get myself an Apple Mac (macMini M2PRO)

Long story short - Im a wedding photographer who is using an old (yet strangely kinda current) Windows PC and Lightroom is just awful. And as such Im looking to get back into macs with a purchase of a MacMini.

To confuse things further, Im also a 3d artist who uses PCs, and I will continue to use my PC for this

At the moment my current set up is a simple Logitec Bluetooth Keyboard, a USB wired mouse, and 3 monitors - all quite modern ones all use HDMI or DVI as a connector.

Now what I want todo is to use those monitors/mouse etc on my PC as well as my mac, and I'd like to (ideally) swap between computers quickly and easily.

back in the day I know you used to be able to buy little switch boxes for monitors, but im curious to know if those things are still a thing, and if they are do mac minis play nicely with them??

thanks all!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
At the moment my current set up is a simple Logitec Bluetooth Keyboard, a USB wired mouse, and 3 monitors - all quite modern ones all use HDMI or DVI as a connector.

Now what I want todo is to use those monitors/mouse etc on my PC as well as my mac, and I'd like to (ideally) swap between computers quickly and easily.
What are the current specs of your PC and monitors?

Reactions: mattyd1234

mattyd1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2024
I have 2 x BenQ sw2700pt - DVI-DL/ HDMI 1.4/ DP1.2

and a Huion Kamvas Pro 16 which uses HDMI for its input (that's the only option with that one)

Windows 10, with an RTX 4060 (looks to have 3 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI)

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
BE AWARE that there will be m4pro Minis coming not that far away.

Looks to be before the end of the year, I will GUESS in Oct or Nov.

Just something to consider.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Apparently, multi-monitor KVMs exist.

Given the low ratings of most, I did further research.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskBattlestations/comments/zq6jo2
In reality, it may be best to find a highly rated/reviewed single monitor KVM (USB 3 + HDMI) for the HDMI-only display and connect the other two displays to each computer using the separate inputs (e.g., DisplayPort for the PC, HDMI for the Mac). A downside is one monitor will seemingly require an adapter as the Mac mini has a single HDMI and than USB-C for video output.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattyd1234

mattyd1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2024
In reality, it may be best to find a highly rated/reviewed single monitor KVM (USB 3 + HDMI) for the HDMI-only display and connect the other two displays to each computer using the separate inputs (e.g., DisplayPort for the PC, HDMI for the Mac). A downside is one monitor will seemingly require an adapter as the Mac mini has a single HDMI and than USB-C for video output.
Thank you! im now thinking this might be the best option - its not ideal, but its workable

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Depending on how you upgrade the machine, be sure to compare it to the Studio Mac, as the latter quickly becomes a much better deal.
I just did a quick compare yesterday, in an idle moment. Near equivalent spec devices (32GB RAM, 4TB SSD, 10GbE) but +2 performance cores on the CPU, +14 GPU cores, plus the additional sockets on the front of the Studio all for $423.75 CAD. A no-brainer for myself even if I’d miss the smaller form factor of the mini…

Not that I’m buying yet. My oft-stated requirement of Thunderbolt 5… for next generation monitors.

@mattyd1234 Your desired system setup will indeed be difficult. I don’t know how new your monitors are but those connections are far from present day spec (DVI began being deprecated in 2010!). Have you considered consolidating monitors (e.g. buying one larger, nicer display to replace 2 or 3 lesser displays) or will that negatively impact your workflow? This is a HUGE to each their own; I have a dual monitor setup at present, and had triple monitor setups in the past, and personally I’d trade them in for a large single monitor (except that what I’d want doesn’t exist yet, hence my TB5 dreaming: 40” 8K). That makes a KVM switch a very simple solution to your conundrum.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
@leifp In the meantime 😃

Hah! Nice… but I require resolution and colour depth and detest curved screens… I do really enjoy the 41.5” RoG 138Hz OLED I have on my gaming PC - looks substantially better than I ever expected such a large 4K display to look (desktop/text). I presently have dual 31.5” LG 4K 60Hz LEDs that leave much to be desired…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.