Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
the reddit OP should just try disabling the extensions and observe whether the temperature goes down. Not that difficult.

or at least mention which extensions he has

or at least mention what kind of websites the 30 tabs are

difficult to do any problem solving.

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I was interested get MacBook Air M3 and prefer use chrome but without any add on
If you were intending lots of tabs (particularly those with extensive active javascript) make sure you get plenty of RAM (at least 16GB). And you do need add ons to protect yourself from malware.

I suggest Safari unless you have any special requirements that need Chrome.

Otherwise - as @johannnn has said.

DaveEcc

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
My daughter uses an M3 Air w/ Chrome. She never noted any overheating, though we did upgrade from and M1 w/ 8GB to the M3 w/ 16GB because Chrome really needs more than 8GB for many popular sites.

Possible problems:

• Using X86 version of chrome rather than Arm version.
    • Click on Menu 'Chrome' ,'About Chrome'. The version line should end in (arm64). If it doesn't, download the correct version of Chrome.
  • Tab with really bad or malicious scripting. Chrome has a built-in task manager to see which tabs are using the CPU heavily.
    • Right/two-finger click on an unused part of the tab-list area and pick 'Task Manager' at the bottom of the menu that appears, then give it a few seconds to populate.
    • Check for high-CPU usage (more than a few percent on a tab that looks like it's doing nothing). Often this is caused by scripts injected by ad vendors rather than any content of the site you care about. Try to keep such tabs closed when not in use, or configure Chrome to not run scripts on these sites (Settings/Privacy and Security/Content section, Javascript/Not allowed to use Javascript section, click the add button). Personally I just stop visiting sites that allow ad vendors to inject such things into their page. If they care that little about me, I don't care about them.
  • Bad or malicious extension.
    • I don't use extensions... they can see everything you do online, and report whatever they want to whoever they want... a security nightmare, but I realize they're popular.
    • As I don't use them, I have no idea if these show up in the Task Manager or not. If you see them listed with high CPU usage, disable them. If they're not listed, try disabling them all, verifying the overheating issue stopped, then enabling them one by one until you find the one causing trouble. Disable it.
  • Not Chrome.
    • Perhaps something else in the system is using the CPU heavily. Click on the magnifying glass in the right side of the menu bar (spotlight search). Search for 'Activity Monitor'.
    • Click on the CPU tab, then click on the heading of the column "% CPU". This should sort the list by CPU usage. If it's showing lowest use first, click on the column heading again to re-sort highest first. If you see an app using a lot of CPU, close it.

Reactions: johannnn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.