Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG Electronics will be one of the first TV manufacturers to support Apple's AirPlay expansion, which will see Apple bringing easy access AirPlay to hotel room TVs.

airplay-hotels.jpg

In a press release (via ZDNET), LG said that later this year, it will introduce LG Pro:Centric Smart Hotel TVs that include built-in AirPlay technology.

"This is a major advancement for in-room entertainment in the travel and hospitality industry, and underscores how closely we are listening to the needs of consumers who increasingly demand simple access to their personal media options on the biggest screen, wherever they are," said LG Business Solutions hospitality vice president Michael Kosla. "Hotels that offer this feature will have an immediate leg up with travelers who use Apple devices, boosting guest satisfaction while providing real differentiation from local competition."

LG worked with Apple to make an easy-to-use AirPlay solution. iPhone users will be able to scan a QR code to access AirPlay, allowing them to to securely play content from an iPhone or iPad to a hotel room TV with no need for extra equipment. LG says AirPlay will work on the TVs it is releasing this year as well as "recent year's models."

Apple at WWDC said that it is partnering with select hotels to bring AirPlay to supported television sets. IHG Hotels & Resorts, which operates 6,000 locations worldwide, will be one of the first companies to support AirPlay in its hotels.

Article Link: LG to Bring AirPlay to Hotel Room TVs Later This Year

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
This is such a great feature!

I hope that more hotels add this in the future

Apple keeps partnering with various hotels to add more awesome features - Last year, Apple added the ability to unlock your hotel room with your iPhone:

I’ve taken my Apple TV with me when I’ve stayed at hotels in the past to set up at my hotel room and watch sports games but it will now be so much easier to be able to AirPlay pictures or YouTube videos without needing to set up my own Apple TV

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I’ve stayed at 2 different tiers of Marriott hotels in the last 12 months, and both had LG 📺📺 and horrible Netflix and Prime Video interfaces.

No way I will log into their systems with my private credentials and assume they will honor the logout and wipe cookies process!

I always bring either my Roku Premiere+ (2016)[works perfectly] or my backup tv and hook into Ethernet.

Roku works hands-down better.

I’ve only had to request once for the wired access fee [🙄🤯😠🤑] to be waived, and that was 6 years ago at another but different Marriott.

Also, I always bring along my AirPort Express. I have the will, therefore, there will be a way.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I’ve stayed at 2 different tiers of Marriott hotels in the last 12 months, and both had LG 📺📺 and horrible Netflix and Prime Video interfaces.

No way I will log into their systems with my private credentials and assume they will honor the logout and wipe cookies process!

I always bring either my Roku Premiere+ (2016)[works perfectly] or my backup tv and hook into Ethernet.

Roku works hands-down better.

I’ve only had to request once for the wired access fee [🙄🤯😠🤑] to be waived, and that was 6 years ago at another but different Marriott.

Also, I always bring along my AirPort Express. I have the will, therefore, there will be a way.

This is the way.

/s

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Guess who pays for all those brand new, expensive Hotel TV's? Yep. Us, in the form of increased room rates.
Once most hotels have them, so much for "providing real differentiation from local competition."

I remember back in the day when hotels who hung out the "HBO" sign got the business. Now, who give a s$#*.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Call me skeptical but I don't know what the hotels or LG has to gain from this... without Airplay they harvest data from people that (stupidly) log in to their streaming services. I'm not sure what either has to gain from Airplay. 🤔
Read the post two above yours... that's why

RemedyRabbit

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2014
It’s mad just how awful hotel TV systems are. You can stay at a beautiful hotel with otherwise excellent facilities, but the TV is nearly always small and outdated with a horrible interface and limited choice, if it even works properly at all.

I can understand why a big hotel might not be able to offer 4k streaming over their network to 100+ rooms, but having airplay and chromecast should be a no brainier.

Reactions: zapmymac

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Errrr, they already have that in Japan on fairly ancient (thick) LG flatscreens in cheap hotel rooms, maybe it's not the TV itself but the result is the same.

TV displays a WIFI QR code, you connect to it and then you can just airplay to it from your phone and use the internet on your phone as well. It's probably just a little router with airplay and hdmi in every room, but it looked very well integrated on the TV's hotel mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.