Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG today announced the worldwide rollout of its 2021 sound bar lineup, complete with AirPlay 2 support for wirelessly streaming audio from Apple devices like the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. The sound bars also support Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.

LG-Soundbar-Features-01-scaled.jpeg

All of the 2021 sound bars support both the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround sound formats, while an "AI Room Calibration" feature promises optimal sound in any environment, using spatial awareness technology to measure a room's dimensions and customize the sound bar's audio settings accordingly. Many of the new models are also Hi-Res Audio certified for lossless playback at 24-bit/96kHz.

The new lineup includes models SP11RA, SP9YA, SP8YA, SP7Y, and SPD7Y, with additional models coming later this year. Availability will begin this month in key markets across North America and Europe, but pricing was not disclosed.

LG's press release includes a spec sheet with more details about the new sound bars.

Article Link: LG Launching 2021 Sound Bar Lineup With AirPlay 2 Support

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Does anyone know if these sounds bars do Variable Refresh Rate? VFR?

Do all TV's / Soundbars that support HDMI 2.1 do VFR? Or is that something that the hardware needs to do, and not just pass along.

Is VFR the same thing as QMS (Quick Media Switching?). Basically, I have a Plex server with lots of different video and audio formats. I want new hardware that will switch between those formats faster. Which I am assuming is QMS. But I am unsure if QMS comes free with 2.1, or if the hardware needs to support it in addition to 2.1

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I don't know about the C1/G1 yet... but all their flagship TVs up til now certainly don't support DTS:X passthru.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
So, with Airplay 2 support am I correct to assume that this would pair with an Apple TV, and have stereo mode, Dolby Atmos support, etc, like the recently discontinued HomePods have when paired with an Apple TV?

Reactions: Ghost31

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
i cant waits to download the app in the next generation of LG ThinQ XSPNIV smartsfones and play some beats to that soundbar all day long!

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Does anyone know if these sounds bars do Variable Refresh Rate? VFR?

Do all TV's / Soundbars that support HDMI 2.1 do VFR? Or is that something that the hardware needs to do, and not just pass along.

Is VFR the same thing as QMS (Quick Media Switching?). Basically, I have a Plex server with lots of different video and audio formats. I want new hardware that will switch between those formats faster. Which I am assuming is QMS. But I am unsure if QMS comes free with 2.1, or if the hardware needs to support it in addition to 2.1
Hardware unfortunately has to support all of the new hdmi 2.1 features. I don’t know if any hdmi 2.1 sound bars besides supporting eARC. These only said 4K pass through with Dolby vision with can be done with 2.0. If you want those features plug directly into your compatible tv and use eARC (although you lose DTS support)

Reactions: zapmymac

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Soundbars have been a thing for a few years now. Anyone know of other brands that have "proven" and popularly-rated sound bars? I'm guessing Bose... but that's a brand that I have not visited since they abandoned their iPod/iPhone-specific docking-charging speakers.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
And TV speakers have been decent for a long time.

Yes tv speakers are good now. But they dont do surround sound, and dont have subwoofers. When we want to play a good movie we plug in our subwoofer, and that alone makes watching a movie an entirely different experience.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
And TV speakers have been decent for a long time.
TV speakers are pretty mediocre, even the best ones do not compare to a soundbar or any decent surround system. There simply isn't enough space in most of today's flat panels to house a speaker for great sound. And that's not even mentioning bass, which just can't be replicated without a subwoofer or dedicated speakers. If you're happy with extremely mediocre to poor sound, then sure TV speakers are decent at producing that.

Last edited:

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Soundbars have been a thing for a few years now. Anyone know of other brands that have "proven" and popularly-rated sound bars? I'm guessing Bose... but that's a brand that I have not visited since they abandoned their iPod/iPhone-specific docking-charging speakers.
The Samsung Q950T is the best soundbar on the market right now. They're at the top of the game. Sonos Arc is also up there in terms of sound quality and popularity. Bose has good soundbars, but they all lack critical features like Dolby Atmos. And their price can also be a bit prohibitive.

Reactions: Websnapx2

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Yes tv speakers are good now. But they dont do surround sound, and dont have subwoofers. When we want to play a good movie we plug in our subwoofer, and that alone makes watching a movie an entirely different experience.
Sure surround sound w/ a subwoofer is the best. But that's not what sound bars are.

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2018
Why? It introduces latency, which makes play/pause annoying, and you place the sound at physically right next to the TV anyway.
I have my HomePod a good 3 meters (about 9 feet) away from my TV. I fear that near the TV (wall) the bass would both neighbors. I haven’t noticed any latency issues after setting the HomePod as the default audio output.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I cannot understand why LG supports DTS with their sound bars but dropped support on their TV’s. I really wish they would reconsider as their OLED’s are hands down the best TV’s.

Dolby might be more common but it really can’t be that much of a greater cost to include it on their TV’s.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I have my HomePod a good 3 meters (about 9 feet) away from my TV. I fear that near the TV (wall) the bass would both neighbors. I haven’t noticed any latency issues after setting the HomePod as the default audio output.
AirPlay and AirPlay 2 report latency information with the source. That's why they're so great...and why they're more work to implement. The results speak for themselves.

Reactions: zapmymac and drlamb

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Sure surround sound w/ a subwoofer is the best. But that's not what sound bars are.
Most sound bars are packaged with a sub, with an option to add on satellite speakers at will. Regardless any decent sound bar alone is going to sound much better than TV speakers anyway.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Chucker was saying that he wished there were more wireless options. My sound bar and subwoofer are wireless. Can use one or both. Wasnt referring to just sound bar specifically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.