Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A leaked version of the European Union's Digital Markets Act (DMA) indicates that Apple could be forced to make major changes to the App Store, Messages, FaceTime, third-party browsers, and Siri.

european-parliament.jpg

According to a leaked working document intended to reflect the "final" version of the DMA, seen by MacRumors, the EU is planning to enact changes that seek to have a significant impact on the way that companies like Apple will have to manage their products, apps, and services in Europe, particularly with regards to "gatekeeping."

Earlier versions of the Digital Markets Act set out demands for big tech companies to share metrics with competitors, ensure that all apps are uninstallable, and not preference their own apps and services. Companies that fail to do so may face large fines, as high as ten percent of the company's worldwide annual turnover, or even forced disinvestment.

One of the headline parts of the DMA attempts to prompt major changes to the App Store, forcing Apple to allow users to download apps from the internet and third-party app stores and allow developers to use in-app payment systems of their choice and promote offers to users. Amendments to the DMA outlined in the leaked document seek to address browser engine gatekeeping and platform interoperability.

The document expands provisions to stop companies from requiring developers to use a particular browser engine. This change is likely intended to directly address Apple's requirement that all browsers running on iOS and iPadOS that use its own WebKit technology, and would allow third-party browsers like Chrome, Edge, Brave, and Opera to stop using WebKit and switch to Chromium like their desktop counterparts.

New wide-reaching interoperability obligations will require companies to ensure that, under certain circumstances, their messaging, voice-calling, and video calling apps and services will work with rival services and include end-to-end encryption. This could have implications for iMessage and FaceTime, but it is not clear how far Apple will need to make changes to its services to meet the DMA's interoperability requirements.

The DMA has also been amended to add provisions for regulating virtual assistants like Siri, stating that users should be given the option to change the default virtual assistant to a third-party option when using it for the first time. Other changes to the DMA relate to preventing companies from giving their own apps and services preferential treatment, such as when presenting rankings or search results.

EU lawmakers provisionally approved the DMA in March. Once the final document is officially published, the European Parliament and the Council will need to approve it before it can come into effect. Digital competition chief Margrethe Vestager said last month that she expects the DMA to come into force "sometime in October."

Earlier this week, members of the European Parliament voted overwhelmingly in support of legislation that will compel Apple to offer a USB-C port on all iPhones, iPads, and AirPods in Europe.

Article Link: Leaked EU Document Could Spell Major Changes for App Store, Messages, FaceTime, Browsers, and Siri

Last edited:

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Or buying a Chevy and asking for a full powertrain warranty after a Ford engine swap.

Apple: We can allow side loading and self repair at unauthorized repair locations, but it will retroactively void your warranty, and if you are "leasing" a device on a plan, you are immediately required to pay the balance in full.

Seems like government officials time and resources would be better spent on controlling government spending and providing public services.

Last edited:

jjpiv

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2020
If GDPR serves as an indication, this is going to turn into a horrible mess. I have no doubt the EU is well-intentioned, but that doesn’t make what they’re planning a good idea. The change to browser engine requirements is a good move, but everything else seems half-baked. Are they of the position that no company should have a competitive advantage with the products and services they offer?

Last edited:

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
This sounds like buying a Chevy & being given the option to replace OnStar with Dodge's UConnect.
That might make sense if Chevy and Dodge were the only ones making infotainment systems.
Or buying a Chevy and asking for a full powertrain warranty after a Ford engine swap.

Seems like government officials time and resources would be better spent on controlling government spending and providing public services.
This has nothing to do with a warranty. If you damage your phone, you're still liable.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The ideas are not inherently bad but the reality is the infrastructure isn’t there to do this without massive architectural and structural changes across the board. I doubt all of this could even be done satisfactorily even if nothing else was worked on for two years.

It does seem that governments are becoming hostile to vertical integration. However they are hyper focusing on tech when they should look at how multiple industries are set up if they want to prevent this kind of lock in. Lots of similar behavior in places in other non tech industries.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
If GDPR serves as an indication, this is going turn into a horrible mess. I have no doubt the EU is well-intentioned, but that doesn’t make what they’re planning a good idea. I can appreciate the change to browser engine requirements, but everything else seems totally half-baked. Are they of the position that no company should have a competitive advantage with the products and services they offer? This makes zero sense.
They're of the opinion that no American company should ever have a competitive advantage. If Apple were German or French, none of this would ever have come up.

Xdibo

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2022
Living in the EU - this kind of typical bureaucracy-nonsense is making me more angry by the day. Are there really EU-citizens wanting to see this kind absurd requirements implemented - or is it merely a kind of therapy to keep a massive army of public services busy? The only thing I know is that Apple is increasingly more expensive in the EU and this kind of ridiculous exaggeration isn't going to make the pricing-picture look better.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I’m all for allowing side loading and forcing Apple to make good on its promise me make FaceTime open source. That’s it. Why does iMessage need to work with WhatsApp when I can download WhatsApp instead?

Apple should allow users to download apps outside of the App Store like a Mac, just as long as they are signed Apps (that’s the default setting in macOS)

If non signed apps were to be allowed, they’d have to throw numerous security dialogs at the user and require the user to authenticate with their passcode and faceID or touchID.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The law is well intentioned but I think it goes too far.

Generally I think that its important to look at scale with this sort of thing, as a platform becomes crucial for business in the way iOS and Android have, the need for regulation grows, and it is definitely clear that the iPhone has grown to the point that it could be justified in forcing the platform to open up a bit.
I think they go too far here with things like the default app replacement and voice assistant replacement. These seem like vast overreach as they aren't just about apps on the phone but about the APIs that would enable apps to talk to each other that could require a vast redesign of iOS.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Third parties imposing requirements on consensual transactions between other parties are less about protecting competition and more about control or favoring certain competitors.

Apple does a lot of annoying things, but at least they aren’t imposed with the force of law.
Just because two parties consent to a transaction doesn't make it legal. Particularly when there is a massive power disparity between the two parties.
Good on you for massively oversimplifying the implications of what they’re proposing.
I've had many massive, in-depth conversations on this topic in this forum already. If you have a point, feel free to make one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.