Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is testing electronic paper display (EPD) technology for possible implementation in future foldable devices and tablet applications, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today.

Foldable-iPhone-2023-Feature-Blue.jpg

On Twitter, Kuo said that color EPD displays made by Chinese company E Ink could be used for the outer-most display in a foldable device, while the larger, folded-out display would use a more advanced display technology. EPD would be significantly more energy-efficient than other forms of display technology, said Kuo, and as a form of e-ink technology, a color EPD display could also potentially be used by Apple for a new class of tablet devices.

Apple is reportedly planning to first launch a 9-inch foldable that sits somewhere between an iPhone and iPad in display specifications around 2025. Kuo believes that Apple's foldable roadmap will initially focus on medium-sized devices, followed by devices with larger displays, before finally expanding to small devices like the ‌iPhone‌.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple Testing Color 'Electronic Paper Display' Technology for Future Foldable Devices and Tablet Applications

Last edited:

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Does any of Samsung foldables have e-ink?

If not Apple maybe waiting for this to mature and mass produce their own foldable displays

Reactions: iLLUMI

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
This is the same twitter account that told us M2 13"Mbp will come at the Spring event in March
This is the twitter account that is saying the redesign Macbook air will come with M1 and not M2

Reactions: SFjohn and alpi123

flashflood101

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
If Apple really is interested in e-ink, that would be a very good thing indeed, as it would likely accelerate the pace of development of that technology by an order of magnitude. It's been almost stagnant.

Reactions: Blackstick

GhostOS

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2022
All current folding concepts have been lacklustre, even though I might not use this I’m excited to see Apple’s more polished version of a folding device and how it turns out.

Reactions: iLLUMI

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Maybe they are going to finally make a kindle killer. However it won‘t solve the distraction issue.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I just wish Apple would just release a foldable, the Galaxy Fold 3 really is good hardware let down by poor software. There are too few really good tablet apps on Android to begin with and not all of them will even recognise the bigger screen as a tablet. One running iOS with it identifying as a real tablet in unfolded mode would be an instant buy from me, even at a high price.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is the same twitter account that told us M2 13"Mbp will come at the Spring event in March
This is the twitter account that is saying the redesign Macbook air will come with M1 and not M2
This is the same website where thousands have said that their Daddy Apple would never release a large screen iPhone; let alone a foldable phone.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I just wish Apple would just release a foldable, the Galaxy Fold 3 really is good hardware let down by poor software. There are too few really good tablet apps on Android to begin with and not all of them will even recognise the bigger screen as a tablet. One running iOS with it identifying as a real tablet in unfolded mode would be an instant buy from me, even at a high price.
The fold 3 does look pretty good, Samsung is slowly ironing out all the issues

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The fold 3 does look pretty good, Samsung is slowly ironing out all the issues
From what I heard, it doesn’t eliminate that creaking, plastic sound when storing/folding the device. Personally, that would really annoy me.

Reactions: SFjohn

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I would love a dual display LCD + e-ink iPhone. The battery energy savings would be significant, since probably most of my phone usage is just messaging and audio stuff which would be fine on the e-ink screen. I’d still need the LCD for certain tasks.

I don’t think I want a folding phone though. Just LCD on one side, and e-ink on the other, if they can do that without making it too thick. I don’t really yearn for whatever benefit folding gives a phone, so much that doubling the thickness (when folded) would be worth it to me—whether it’s a phone that folds down even smaller, or a phone that unfolds into a tablet sized screen. I’d rather just have the phone be a really slim slate for my jeans’ pocket. Unless they can somehow make it ridiculously thin, even thinner than current iPhones when folded, so maybe 5mm folded, 2.5mm unfolded, all while maintaining same battery life, then I wouldn’t mind a phone that folds down into a smaller phone. But that thin seems practically impossible with current tech.

BUT I would be interested in tablets that fold down smaller, since that allows for more carrying options, when I occasionally do want to bring one outside. So I’d be interested in the phone that unfolds into a small tablet, but not as a phone, only as a tablet because the folding would allow me to bring it without a bag or carrying it in hand. I don’t even care if it has an exterior screen. A large iPad that folds down into a smaller iPad would be less of an interest for me because I’d still have to bring a bag, it could just be smaller, but I like the size of my daily carry bag, which is plenty big enough to fit the largest iPad. But I guess if the folding iPad is built well and not crazy expensive (big assumptions), why not get it and have the option.

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Tweet now clarified by Kuo saying “E Ink” is the company producing EPDs rather than meaning e-ink aka electronic ink!

Darn, and here I was letting myself get excited about an Apple rumor. I have long suspected that e-ink looks far too unpolished for Apple’s very high standards—which is a shame. A non-emissive (easy on the eyes) iPad with 10 day battery life and access to my iBook library? That would be an instant buy for me.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Love my ZFold 3, read documents on it all day (for work), and use the pen in meetings. It does everything I need. But like all Samsung devices it has little niggles. And Android apps are rarely as good as their iOS equivalent. If Apple released a foldable, I would be tempted to return to iOS.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
All current folding concepts have been lacklustre, even though I might not use this I’m excited to see Apple’s more polished version of a folding device and how it turns out.
Don't hold your breath. It'll be years, if ever, before Apple releases one, precisely because they're lackluster. Foldable are a solution in search of a problem.

Reactions: GhostOS

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Again, Apple needs to put it on the other side of the device and allow users to create custom patterns and colors for their iPhone. Keep microLED for the screen. :p

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Sounds like what I heard years ago on here about big screens.
All people ever did is whine and moan for larger screens, to the degree that it's now hilarious to watch people try to use them. I can't recall ever seeing a person say "Damn, if only thing thing would fold into some thicker thing I could put in my pocket..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.