Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm surprised we're not seeing this being added for iPad in iPadOS 18 (also expected it for MacOS too, but no love there either).

I was sure of it happening, as usually, when things come to one device, it comes to the rest the next year.

Maybe we might see it added before they release iPadOS 18 in the Fall, can only hope & speculate.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Apple's last new 1st party app (Freeform) launched on all 3 platforms simultaneously! 😔

I understand Journal is a bit of a different situation since it ties in with Health data, but iPadOS got Health.app with iPadOS *17*, so I'm really not sure what Apple's thinking is. Pretty shocking they didn't do it--seems like really low-hanging fruit TBH.

Reactions: boston04and07

H_D

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2021
If you like journaling, I cannot recommend DayOne enough. It has a subscription, but works on all platforms, is searchable, offers mostly useful filtering, works with the same prompts Apple offers, you can develop your own templates, import from Social Media, Music, photos etc. It’s still the best despite some room for improvement.

If you like prompted journaling and self-reflection, Stoic is a brilliant App, well designed, fun to use, the AI-based new questions are great (especially the evil alter ego), it offers mood tracking, trends, journals, even some meditation techniques (although here Headpsace & Calm are so much better)… there could be a nicer way of exporting your content (PDF, as in DayOne for example), but works really well on iOS, iPad and MacOS and is really well cared for by the developer. It’s subscription but there is a lifetime offer.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I really like the idea of the Journal app a lot and have used it a bit on my iPhone, but I’m just not interested in typing out journal entries on the phone. I’d much rather do it on the iPad’s keyboard (or better yet, hand write them on the iPad). I agree that it’s a very strange omission, and it’s keeping me from actually using the app.

Runaway Train

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
If you like journaling, I cannot recommend DayOne enough. It has a subscription, but works on all platforms, is searchable, offers mostly useful filtering, works with the same prompts Apple offers, you can develop your own templates, import from Social Media, Music, photos etc. It’s still the best despite some room for improvement.

If you like prompted journaling and self-reflection, Stoic is a brilliant App, well designed, fun to use, the AI-based new questions are great (especially the evil alter ego), it offers mood tracking, trends, journals, even some meditation techniques (although here Headpsace & Calm are so much better)… there could be a nicer way of exporting your content (PDF, as in DayOne for example), but works really well on iOS, iPad and MacOS and is really well cared for by the developer. It’s subscription but there is a lifetime offer.
Yes, been with DayOne for 12 years now. Never failed and no reason to look elsewhere.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’ve been using Apple Journal since it launched, is there a way to export/import into Day One? I see I can print all of my entries, one page per entry and save it as a large PDF file. Can I import that into Day One?

I’m a bit bummed I can only use it on my iPhone.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I hope it gets added with the release of iOS 18.
I also really hope they do it. Having the Journal app sync between Mac, iPad and iPhone seems like a pretty logical request. Also, like many already pointed out, the typing experience is much better on a Mac or iPad (with an external keyboard).

I’m sure it is a great app, but honestly I don’t see myself eternally tied to a 38€ yearly subscription (if they don’t raise the price of course). This isn’t that type of apps you subscribe to every now and then, when you need it. I guess when you stop paying you lose access to all your years long journal.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I agree, this seems like a perfect app for iPad with a keyboard or a perfect app for iPad mini where you can write things in something that’s the size of a paper journal. A very strange omission, hopefully they bring it to iPad sometime before next year.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
Since I’ve seen that he does seem to reply to emails from the public occasionally, I took a punt on emailing Craig Federighi.

I know it’s highly unlikely my email with get a reply, though. If, by some chance, he does, I’ll update!

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Since I’ve seen that he does seem to reply to emails from the public occasionally, I took a punt on emailing Craig Federighi.

I know it’s highly unlikely my email with get a reply, though. If, by some chance, he does, I’ll update!

Yeah, I think it was iOS 13-14 time, when I wrote him with a few suggestions (many of them were later implemented), and he replied me with a polite “thank you for your feedback, we’ll keep this in mind to improve our products!”.

Later, I wrote him with other suggestions, but never got a reply again…

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I'm a bit late to the iPad World, but I have a long history with the iPhone.

I've only opened the Journal app, once.

Since then, it just seems creepy, as I get these suggestions to journal my visit to a local QT, HD or [insert-random-address-here]

Not that I did not have a memorable experience at any of these places, but seriously . . . why can't I find the Scenic Overlook moments that were even-more memorable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.