Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Apple design chief Jony Ive and OpenAI CEO Sam Altman have been discussing building a new AI hardware device, according to a new report by The Information.

jony-ive-ipad-pro.jpeg

Both men have spoken to SoftBank CEO and investor Masayoshi Son about the idea, according to people familiar with the conversations, but it's not clear if he will remain involved. Since leaving Apple, Ive has been concentrating on working for several clients through his British design studio, LoveFrom.

The report is scant on details, and does not reveal anything about what such a device could be, but Ive and Altman are said to be friends and have been discussing "what new hardware for the age of AI could look like," according to one person familiar with the matter.

Altman is one of the biggest investors in consumer hardware startup Humane, with was founded by Imran Chaudhri and Bethany Bongiorno, both former Apple employees. The startup plans to develop a screenless wearable device that can be directed using voice prompts and gestures, and projects information onto surfaces in front of it. Chaudhri in May demoed a prototype to a TEDTalk audience. Ultimately, Humane plans to integrate OpenAI's technology into the device.

OpenAI's ChatGPT chatbot has made waves in the tech world since it was launched to the public less than a year ago. The company's annual revenue pace has exceeded $1 billion, thanks to ChatGPT subscriptions and paid access to the chatbot's latest and most advanced incarnation, GPT-4. In May 2023, OpenAI released an official ChatGPT app for the iPhone and iPad.

For Apple's part, the company has significantly ramped up its spending on artificial intelligence, according to a previous report by The Information. Apple's "Foundational Models" team that works on conversational AI includes just 16 people, but Apple is said to be spending millions of dollars per day training its language models, which could one day be integrated into Siri.

Article Link: Jony Ive Could Develop AI Hardware Device With OpenAI's Sam Altman

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
This could be interesting.

Hopefully Ive when paired with the right people can throw off the shackles of Apple and do something truly innovative.

Fingers crossed!

Just came on here to support Sir Jonny Ive because I know how much hate (jealously) people have for him.
Really? Hate?

Speaking for myself, I am more puzzled and disappointed by how the man who came up with the brilliant, innovative and fun Apple designs managed to paint himself into a corner with his obsession on thinness.

He's a hugely talented guy who also managed to be in the right place at the right time. But his later work was definitely not on par with the inventiveness of the earlier stuff.

If that is "hate" or "Jealousy" then… *shrug*

Last edited:

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
This could be interesting.

Hopefully Ive can throw off the shackles of Apple and do something truly innovative.

Fingers crossed!

Really? Hate?

Speaking for myself, I am more puzzled and disappointed by how the man who came up with the brilliant, innovative and fun Apple designs managed to paint himself into a corner with his obsession on thinness.

He's a hugely talented guy who also managed to be in the right place at the right time. But his later work was definitely not on par with the inventiveness of the earlier stuff.

If that is "hate" or "Jealousy" then… *shrug*
I think you’ll find it was a desire for simplicity. Funnily enough, exactly the same as Steve Jobs had.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
This post should be taught in Journalism studies on 'How to make a news article from nothing and fill it with news fodder' because that is basically what this post is. men seen having a conversation but no one knows what the conversation was actually about, no idea about hardware or design concepts, nothing, absolutely nothing but here we are with an MR editor making a news article out of nothing just to fill some space and because there is nothing it is filled with news fodder. Come on MR editors, you can do a lot better than that.

appleappleuser

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2023
The pursuit of thinness really only works for a few Apple products today. MacBook Pros would be hindered by being thin for instance, and phones really cannot be too thin due to the camera hardware that takes up the already small space for the battery.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Sure, noble and all that…

But often a lot of functionality was seriously compromised in that search for what you describe as simplicity.
Ive was "simplicity, screw functionality". He should have been "a reasonable balance of function and simplicity".

The problem was that Ive was a bridge builder (mechanical designer) and did not apparently understand the limitations his designs were imposing on the product's functionality. Jobs was the only person that could force Ive to be reasonable. Then after Jobs left no one could counter Ive's power at Apple.

NEPOBABY

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
Let's kindly and smartly stop talking about rich lunatics

OpenAI's CEO Once Bragged About His Hoard of Guns and Gas Masks - Futurism

I truly believe we should send a bunch of these rich doomers, frauds and preppers to a remote island and let them Battle Royale themselves for our entertainment.

Then we won't have to deal with them wasting stupid amounts money and tons of electricity on their toys and eccentric lifestyles.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
I agree form over function sometimes went too far under his leadership, but, he was one of the few passionate product people, among so many salesman executives Apple is filled with today.

In addition to that, some products were truly great, like the 12" MB (with a proper keyboard), the iMacs, the MBA wedge design (or iPhone 5S), which to this day feels fresh vs the chunky (& notch) M2 MBA. At the same time, you have epic fails like the 1st apple pencil charging port, the butterfly keyboard, or design aberrations like the magic mouse, which ironically is still being sold as is, after years from his departure 🤷🏼‍♂️.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
This post should be taught in Journalism studies on 'How to make a news article from nothing and fill it with news fodder' because that is basically what this post is. men seen having a conversation but no one knows what the conversation was actually about, no idea about hardware or design concepts, nothing, absolutely nothing but here we are with an MR editor making a news article out of nothing just to fill some space and because there is nothing it is filled with news fodder. Come on MR editors, you can do a lot better than that.

This seems to be happening a LOT lately. They wrote an entire 'how to transfer data over USB3 with the 15 pro' and it literally did not tell you how to do that. It mentioned the phone being capable of it if you use a USB 3 cable. It mentioned that the cable that comes with the phone is USB 2.

But it did not give any information on how to transfer data at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.