Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024
After updating to ios 17.2 and later to 17.5.1 via iTunes on a Windows PC, I encounter system freezes, statters when opening, switching and closing applications. In general, the performance of the system makes much to be desired. Some third-party apps are also slowing down, and some generally work better than iOS itself. In addition, the battery life upsets me greatly, since the update to iOS 17 at the end of 2023, I can no longer get more than 10-11 hours of SoT, as it was on iOS 16, I am limited to 8-9 hours of SoT, despite the fact that the performance of my battery has not changed much. I'm starting to think that Apple deliberately messed up my device so that I could buy a new one, because, again, I never had problems with battery life and performance when I bought it in mid-2023. It all started right after I upgraded to iOS 17 at the end of 2023 and restoring via iTunes did not help solve this problem in any way.

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024
I have repeatedly contacted Apple support, all they do is receive logs from my device and say "This will definitely be fixed in the next update, engineers are considering solutions to these problems." But after updating to 17.3.1, 17.4, 17.4.1, 17.5, 17.5..1, nothing has changed and there have been no improvements. I doubt that I have some kind of hardware problem, because my device goes through all the diagnostics that were carried out to me by Apple support. This is my first iPhone and unfortunately, at the moment it is one of the most terrible phones I have ever had, constant errors, brakes, camera problems, since the first update to iOS 17. I repeat, everything worked perfectly with iOS 16 and I had no problems, it all started as I upgraded to iOS 17

Last edited:

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
What device do you have ?

Although the performance of your battery has not changed, amount of new features added to the OS has changed, all adding up to more power consumption (that's why newer phones have slightly better capacity and more power friendly chips to get equal amount of SOT as older phones on older OS:es).

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You left out something very important, which iPhone model are you using?

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I’m using iPhon13 too and while I have not used ut with iOS 16 long enough to tell the difference, it most certanly feels snappy on iOS 17 (have not noticed any stuttering) and the battery is decent.

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024
I’m using iPhon13 too and while I have not used ut with iOS 16 long enough to tell the difference, it most certanly feels snappy on iOS 17 (have not noticed any stuttering) and the battery is decent.
Mine sometimes slows down, it's not so noticeable, however, I feel that periodically my animations are not always smooth, as they were on iOS 16. Try to open or close the control point at the moment of automatic brightness change by pointing the flashlight at the top of the phone, the animation of opening or closing will be very stuttering

They definitely slowed it down because I didn't encounter all these problems on iOS 16, my phone worked very, very smoothly with an insane battery life that sometimes exceeded 11 hours of screen operation, now I can't just step over the line in 8-9 hours

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
iPhone 13 user here...I get stutters sometimes when scrolling through the pages on my Home Screen.

Also, switching Airplane Mode off is slow and laggy, regardless of whether I do it via Control Centre or settings.

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024
iPhone 13 user here...I get stutters sometimes when scrolling through the pages on my Home Screen.

Also, switching Airplane Mode off is slow and laggy, regardless of whether I do it via Control Centre or settings.
Try to turn off autobrightness and turn on reduced transparency in the accessibility settings, and after restarting the device, I guarantee you that it will become very smooth and most of the friezes and stutters will disappear

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024
By the way, I would like to ask how much SoT you get when using the battery from 100% to 25%, for me it is on average 5-6.5 hours when connected to WiFi, on cellular data I get about 2.5-3 hours of active screen and about 4-5 hours when using from 100% to 0%

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
I find it stuttering every day unlike 16, I don’t have a 13 though. 16 had issues too but it really wasn’t as bad as 17

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Try to turn off autobrightness and turn on reduced transparency in the accessibility settings, and after restarting the device, I guarantee you that it will become very smooth and most of the friezes and stutters will disappear

I like auto-brightness, so I won't be switching it off. Thanks for the advice, though.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
By the way, I would like to ask how much SoT you get when using the battery from 100% to 25%, for me it is on average 5-6.5 hours when connected to WiFi, on cellular data I get about 2.5-3 hours of active screen and about 4-5 hours when using from 100% to 0%
Brightness level and apps used?

This is normal by the way, newer iOS versions increase power consumption, nothing new. (The drop I mean, not that SOT. SOT sounds poor honestly, which is why I asked for that information).

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024
Brightness level and apps used?

This is normal by the way, newer iOS versions increase power consumption, nothing new. (The drop I mean, not that SOT. SOT sounds poor honestly, which is why I asked for that information).
75-85% brightness, sometimes it’s 25-30%
And i use YouTube, Facebook, Telegram, 3rd party browser(because my safari so glitchy and choppy, 3rd party browser works perfectly and fine)

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024

Switching Airplane Mode slow for me too, but after hard reset it’s more faster

Reactions: Helmsley

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
75-85% brightness, sometimes it’s 25-30%
And i use YouTube, Facebook, Telegram, 3rd party browser(because my safari so glitchy and choppy, 3rd party browser works perfectly and fine)
For an 80% brightness level, that doesn’t sound too bad. You can’t expect much with high brightness. 5 hours on cellular does sound low though, but it depends on usage. And Facebook is a battery killer (on the app).

Clompus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2024
For an 80% brightness level, that doesn’t sound too bad. You can’t expect much with high brightness. 5 hours on cellular does sound low though, but it depends on usage. And Facebook is a battery killer (on the app).
How many SoT you received on cellular data? just i think that my 4h and 4.5-5h sometimes so little, because i lost 1% every 2-4min with use LTE, but on WiFi it’s around 4-7min for every 1%, my phone don’t have hardware issue? it’s all without gaming

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia

maybe if you didn't have over 4 months of uptime you would get less stutters

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.