Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaitlin4599

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
United States
so i currently have a 6s which is having some issues, so it needs to get replaced. the issue is im on a fixed income so spending 400+ on a new current gen iphone isnt an option. i have the chance to snag a 64gig factory unlocked XR for 229$ i guess what im wanting to know is is the iphone XR worth it given how old it is?

also if i do buy the XR assuming ints already on ios 17 should i be worried or concerned?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes a XR is perfectly fine to use today.

Check out the website below:
(BackMarket).
That’s where I purchased an excellent iPhone 6S Plus 7 months ago. It’s like new.

Also…. I have an iPhone 11 for sale if you want an iPhone 11 instead ($200).
I purchased it used from Swappa and it’s nice but I prefer TouchID. It’s just sitting in a drawer.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you're using a 6, then an XR will be a huge leap. It's good for your case.

Main concern is the quality of the XR you're buying. You can check in Settings the battery capacity. But XR can't identify if the chassis, display, or camera have been replaced with low quality parts.

Reactions: kaitlin4599

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’d personally try and get an iPhone 12 or 13 if that’s within your budget. That doesn’t mean the iPhone XR is a bad phone in 2024, it’s definitely still a very usable device. I just think you’ll get a lot more use out of a phone that’s only 3-4 years old rather than one that’s already 6 years old.

Reactions: kitKAC and Zwhaler

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I’d personally try and get an iPhone 12 or 13 if that’s within your budget. That doesn’t mean the iPhone XR is a bad phone in 2024, it’s definitely still a very usable device. I just think you’ll get a lot more use out of a phone that’s only 3-4 years old rather than one that’s already 6 years old.
Besides battery (which can be replaced) and better cam where is the advantage over the XR?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The XR will get ios 18 and likely to be the last operating system before being sunsetted. It's not a bad phone, my s/o had one. My Xs Max, which has the same chip but more memory performed very adequately on ios 17. If you could move up to an iphone 11 or 12 I think the experience would be worth it.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Personally the XR is my least favorite iPhone ever. I'd rather buy an 11 or stretch and buy a 12 on ebay. XR is too old to be viable to buy today; it will get dropped by Apple sooner than later.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Besides battery (which can be replaced) and better cam where is the advantage over the XR?
XR has LCD display, 12 has OLED. While LCD has a small (and vocal) group of fans, OLED is superior in almost every way.

Also as mentioned, XR is on its last year of software updates; 12 probably has 2 or 3 more years.

Reactions: Andeddu

Clamjuice65

Suspended
Feb 27, 2023
so i currently have a 6s which is having some issues, so it needs to get replaced. the issue is im on a fixed income so spending 400+ on a new current gen iphone isnt an option. i have the chance to snag a 64gig factory unlocked XR for 229$ i guess what im wanting to know is is the iphone XR worth it given how old it is?

also if i do buy the XR assuming ints already on ios 17 should i be worried or concerned?
Absolutely not especially With that crappy Intel Modem

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
For some of us…. Apple OLED screens are absolutely horrible.Personally, I refer to them as Garbage.
Their flickering is atrocious. Some people don’t notice it while others get totally nailed.

My advice to anyone who’s always used an LCD iPhone: You’ve got to try an OLED iPhone first and be prepared to return it if it gives you trouble. (Eyestrain, dizziness, headache, nausea, mental fog)

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
XR has LCD display, 12 has OLED. While LCD has a small (and vocal) group of fans, OLED is superior in almost every way.

Also as mentioned, XR is on its last year of software updates; 12 probably has 2 or 3 more years.
Now with AI I don’t expect many new features and perhaps non AI iPhones will be discontinued much sooner than before.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Apple is correct when they said iPhone XR is the best single camera iPhone and it still is... Until iPhone SE based on iPhone 13/14 gets released which is rumored to have a single camera as well...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

4GB RAM, Gigabit LTE, UWB for AirTags. While the XR was the best selling smartphone globally in 2019, the 11 and 12 offer massive improvements as well.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I'm still using an XR (and I can't see myself upgrading anytime soon unless SE4 gives me a compelling reason to upgrade, or the phone stops working or otherwise no longer fits my needs).

With that being said, for (potentially, depending on where you live) not much more money you could get a 12 that (based on previous ios support history) should be supported for a few years longer (I'm guessing 2-3) than the XR. IMO the relatively modest cost increase is worth paying to get a longer lasting phone.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I think the XR (and SE2020, XS) are all good phones that works well. One of the more important things these days are to have devices that can receive security updates and the XR are will be fine for at least 2 more years, probably longer.

I haven't used iOS 17 on the XR but on the SE2020 and XS which has similar specs (XS has more ram and SE2020 one gen newer CPU) and it runs great on both those devices.

So can you find a good deal, go for it.

jchfriis

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I used a XR until recently when I changed to a SE (yes I’m cheap 😏). Reason being I wanted G5 which the XR doesn’t support. Otherwise the XR covered all my needs.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For some of us…. Apple OLED screens are absolutely horrible.Personally, I refer to them as Garbage.
Their flickering is atrocious. Some people don’t notice it while others get totally nailed.

My advice to anyone who’s always used an LCD iPhone: You’ve got to try an OLED iPhone first and be prepared to return it if it gives you trouble. (Eyestrain, dizziness, headache, nausea, mental fog)
I’m guessing the vast majority of iPhone users think the displays are good. There is a demographic of undetermined size, that has a sensitivity. But I like apple displays. YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.