Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
USA
The iPad Pro 2 has an A10X CPU while the iPad has an A10 CPU. Both devices show iPadOS 18 developer beta as a selectable option. Yet Apple seems to have excluded the iPad Pro 2 from the supported device list.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Very interested in this too (as the owner of a 10.5 with plenty of life left in it).

Coincidentally my wife has the standard 7th gen. I’m going to be very annoyed if that gets the update, but my more expensive and more powerful IPP does not. Make it make sense!

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
I think we should demand that iPad 7 be dropped as well.

It is 2 years newer (and discontinued only 1 year later) however.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
It doesn’t show the beta update, despite checking the iPadOS 18 developer beta. Even tried rebooting the iPad but no change.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
One would hope that the tech media picks this EASY TARGET to scrutinize and do it. It feels like a massive oversight and a slap in the face for the customers who paid the most.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think we should demand that iPad 7 be dropped as well.

It is 2 years newer (and discontinued only 1 year later) however.

Apple probably has contractual obligations requiring them to support the iPad 7 for one more year.

That said, we should demand that they support the Pro 10.5 as well. They're already supporting the A10/3GB 7th gen anyway. Surely it's not too much of a stretch to support the more powerful A10X/4GB 2017 iPad Pros?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Age being a factor in support is ridiculous. While I would always welcome less support - especially considering the 2nd-gen iPad Pro has been obliterated in terms of battery life - if age is indeed the main factor then it makes absolutely no sense.

Battery life and/or performance should be the criteria used for support.

Last time this happened, I thought it was possibly due to battery life concerns: the 1st-gen iPad Pro is just gone as far as battery life goes on iPadOS 16. Pushing it would make no sense, especially considering that downgrading isn’t possible.

But if that isn’t a concern now too, if it is solely age, then I think it makes no sense. Your performance criteria is either matched or it isn’t, for every iPad that runs a certain chipset.

The bottom line is, if battery life is the issue, then I agree. Age makes no sense.

Reactions: Homme

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It’s odd, because I also noticed that battery life hasn’t been a concern for Apple.

They obliterated the iPhone 6s and 7 (Plus versions too) on iOS 15. They obliterated the 1st and 2nd-gen iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 and 17. They continue to obliterate devices like the Xʀ (A12 Bionic iPhones are already poor on iOS 17. iOS 18? It will destroy them).

So if they don’t care... age is the criteria for support.

Admittedly this is person-specific, people have more or less tolerance. If it were up to me, devices would have zero support. The original iOS version would be guaranteed and there would be no forced updates shenanigans, but even what I would consider “middle ground” doesn’t make Apple stop support there.

iOS 12 on A9 devices is a decent version to stop on, iOS 15 is a decent version to stop on A12 Bionic devices, etc.

So if it’s not that (and it definitely isn’t performance, see 32-bit devices), then age is the only possible criteria left (that is, after all, what they use to determine obsolescence. I think it’s a garbage criteria, but I’m not Apple).

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
They're probably just working on it.
Hope so, but it’s not usually the way to go about things. They have chosen to officially leave it out from the compatibility list on their iPadOS 18 promotional page. That tends to be definitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow_Servo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.