Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rickroller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
I wanted to post this on the official Mac mini forum as it seems it'd be better served here. Anyways, after the release of the M2 Pro in the Mac Mini, I thought it would make sense for Apple to update the design to take into account the thermal requirements for the more powerful chip, and also to add in some nice extra features that would benefit more Pro level workflows.

Let me know what you think.

Mac Mini Pro larger vent.JPG
Mac Mini Pro larger vent Front.JPG

This last image has a design that if half the size of the Mac Studio.

Mac Mini Pro.JPG

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I like the design, but unless Apple kills the Mac Studio, I think this approach would be too close in design and cannibalize sales too much of the Mac Studio and overlap even more than the mini and Studio do today.

That said, what you designed is what I wish they had done for the updated M2 mini. Now I have to buy a dock…

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Rickroller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
I like the design, but unless Apple kills the Mac Studio, I think this approach would be too close in design and cannibalize sales too much of the Mac Studio and overlap even more than the mini and Studio do today.

That said, what you designed is what I wish they had done for the updated M2 mini. Now I have to buy a dock…
I think there is plenty of room for both designs really. This design is way too small to cool an Ultra chip. Also if we consider that Apple generally likes to keep the same design for the long haul, it would make sense to update the Mini to something that could handle the M series chips for the next ten years or so. The M2 Pro Mini looks like a short term solution from the teardown pics online. It's all out of alignment cos they had to make the cooling vent longer to fit. looks pretty janky to be honest.

Plus you shouldn't have to buy another dock for ports for a pro machine!

I wouldn't cry too hard if they offered this update for a starting price of $1499. You get more ports, a better design as well as improving thermal limits of a future chip if they get beefier. And it's still a big enough gap from the $1999 you have to pay for a Studio.

Rickroller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
The Apple TV Mac mini you didn’t see the other thread lol
Ha! I just had a look at that thread. I think that the mini is fine as it size wise because I get the feeling that the next Apple TV in the lineup has to get bigger to become a console level gaming machine.

With this design I think they could even fit an M2 Max and cool it adequately, which would get pretty close to a PS5 in GPU and CPU. Maybe the M3 Max could be a better option as I'd guess it'll probably be a 50% better GPU so more that competitive with the other consoles.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I wanted to post this on the official Mac mini forum as it seems it'd be better served here. Anyways, after the release of the M2 Pro in the Mac Mini, I thought it would make sense for Apple to update the design to take into account the thermal requirements for the more powerful chip, and also to add in some nice extra features that would benefit more Pro level workflows.

Let me know what you think.

View attachment 2163060 View attachment 2163059

This last image has a design that if half the size of the Mac Studio.

View attachment 2163062
You could call it a MAC MIDI ...

Reactions: mr.steevo

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
All they have to do is perhaps drill couple of ventilation holes and certainly they should add front ports, definitely an SD card reader is a must.

Rickroller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
All they have to do is perhaps drill couple of ventilation holes and certainly they should add front ports, definitely an SD card reader is a must.
This is what the 2014 and 2018 models had for ports

The M1 was a downgrade in that department, and yes front IO is not something that should be only on $2000 models.

1677145834218.jpeg

Rickroller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Does the M2 Pro have higher thermal requirements than the Intel chips that were used in the exact same form factor?
Those Intel CPUs were 65w parts if I remember correctly…the Pro chip is 60w. The new Mini Pro just released has a 180w PSU while the M2 has 150.

I’d like to see the M2 Pro and Max in this body, and maybe add another Ultra tier for the big box Studio.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Should it be redesigned? Maybe. Could it be redesigned? Yes. Will it be? No.

It’s apple’s gateway desktop. The lowest cost entry point. They won’t do anything that adds cost. And that’s okay for the majority of the target audience.

You want a studio? Pay for one.

Reactions: chrfr

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I agree with putting sd card/usb ports on the front but the teardowns show lots of space inside the current chassis.

Is anyone complaining about thermal throttling on the M2 Pro mini (that isn't caused by not letting the fan ramp up)?

Shouldn't the M3 going to 3nm help thermals even more?

There is already discussion about Apple holding off on an M2 Studio to not take away from an upcoming Mac Pro, I can't imagine they would greenlight yet another chassis halfway between the mini and studio.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My problem with the current mac mini is that it takes too much desktop space. I wish Apple would make one that takes less desktop space (without putting the current mini sideways). Intel NUC is a good size. Apple should copy that. With Apple Silicon, there shouldn't be thermal issues.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Almost predictably, another thread about "re-sizing" the Mini.

The Mini (as it is) is likely to remain "the size it is", because the form factor (it is) is designed to fit "into the racks" of large server farms, who are big customers of this model.

For that reason, I don't see a "differently-dimensioned Mini" coming any time soon.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
"to accommodate pro level workflows" ???

What does that even mean?

Whats the obsession with taking the base, entry level machine thats specifically NOT designed for so called "pros" and making it "for pros"?

The Mac Studio is there for "pro level workflows" surely.

You dont see MacBook Air customers wondering when the machine will get more "pro".... because if they wanted a pro machine there are several for sale :)

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
While I understand wanting to have a different feeling mini, is the insane amount of openings meant for cooling the right approach especially when it isn't needed for the mini. I can't foresee any design changes to the mini as there really hasn't been besides IO and the change if you will went to the Studio so a whole separate product. The mini is already IMO in a niche market, we see them a lot here which is kind of a outlier because I can easily count on just one hand how many people I have met that owns a Mini. The vast majority either go with the laptop and use it as a desktop because they want the ability to have both, or go full dedicated desktop with the iMac, but sorry I am going on another topic.

Basically I don't see a change happening because any design changes I can think of or like the photos posted would involve cooling and the base Mini just doesn't need it so why would Apple make it larger for no reason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.