Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I have an Anker Power Core 20100 power bank which I have used only a handful of times since I bought it a couple of months ago and have just started to notice that it is making my iphone xr incredibly hot within about 10-15 mins. I have tested the phone with the wall charger that it came with and after 30 mins there is no heat at all. Could it be the cable or the powerbank (or both)? The cable is one that I bought online and so I will test it with the Apple cable to see if that makes a difference. I am concerned about doing damage to my phone.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have an Anker Power Core 20100 power bank which I have used only a handful of times since I bought it a couple of months ago and have just started to notice that it is making my iphone xr incredibly hot within about 10-15 mins. I have tested the phone with the wall charger that it came with and after 30 mins there is no heat at all. Could it be the cable or the powerbank (or both)? The cable is one that I bought online and so I will test it with the Apple cable to see if that makes a difference. I am concerned about doing damage to my phone.

You should be concerned as one of the batteries worst enemies is heat!

Hope you get it worked out.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I have also noticed that my ipad charger plug gets incredibly hot - it is about 4 years old. The ipad itself doesn't get particularly hot, though. Would it be worth replacing it?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have also noticed that my ipad charger plug gets incredibly hot - it is about 4 years old. The ipad itself doesn't get particularly hot, though. Would it be worth replacing it?
My iPad charger gets hot also, all Apple chargers seem to. Until it dies I wouldn’t worry about it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Caused by? Resolved how?
Have you tried all your chargers in a different building? Maybe there’s something off about the wiring you’re dealing with. I’m no electrician but I would test the chargers out in a different building so I could rule out the need to call an electrician.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Have you tried all your chargers in a different building? Maybe there’s something off about the wiring you’re dealing with. I’m no electrician but I would test the chargers out in a different building so I could rule out the need to call an electrician.
Good point but the only issue is with the phone getting hot when charging with the power bank which is not connected to any sockets in the house. When charging from the socket with the Apple charger, there is no problem.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Could a faulty cable to be to blame for the phone getting hot when charging, or is it simply the phone or the charging source?

Marion111

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2022
Hey. Have you figured out anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.