Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I have an XR. I gave my wife a 13 to replace her X. I was planning on adopting the X as my phone.

The only thing I don't like about the XR is the lack of optical zoom.The X has a telephoto lens and 2X optical zoom.

The X has a better display and higher pixel density, but the XR is slightly bigger, has longer battery life and more processing power.

Looking at the phones side by side, I can see no difference between the two when viewing tiny text or HDR photos. I mainly use my phone for reading and for photos.

Now I'm thinking of just keeping the XR.

Am I missing anything?

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
How are the battery lives for the XR and X? I believe X used to have the best battery life among the lineups in 2018. Not sure if it’s worst now in 2021 with iOS 15.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
In iOS 15 there are several features that are not available to the iPhone X that ARE available on the XR. You might want to look into that as well.

How are the battery lives for the XR and X? I believe X used to have the best battery life among the lineups in 2018. Not sure if it’s worst now in 2021 with iOS 15.
The XS had worse battery life than the XR and the X and XS are pretty similar in that regard (according to Apple the XS has very slightly longer battery life than the regular X). XR should outlast either of them.

Reactions: Buadhai

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
The XS had worse battery life than the XR and the X and XS are pretty similar in that regard (according to Apple the XS has very slightly longer battery life than the regular X). XR should outlast either of them.

I heard the XR suffered from battery drain on iOS 15. But yes the XR always had the best battery life until iPhone 11 came out.

radow

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2021
iPhone XR performs better in everyday life, except for screen brightness (iPhone X is brighter, more comfortable to use outdoors) and lack of a telephoto camera.

Edit: typo

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Thanks to all for your thoughts and for taking the time to reply.

I'll stick with the XR. As I said, the only downside for me is the lack of a telephoto lens. I can live with that until I decide to spring for a 13 Pro. Coming "real soon now". (To quote Jerry Pournelle.)

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Thanks to all for your thoughts and for taking the time to reply.

I'll stick with the XR. As I said, the only downside for me is the lack of a telephoto lens. I can live with that until I decide to spring for a 13 Pro. Coming "real soon now". (To quote Jerry Pournelle.)

Wise choice. Considering the X doesn’t get iOS 17 but the XR not only gets iOS 18 but 7th gen iPad only using 2/4 cores verses A11’s 6 cores is also getting iPadOS 18 💀 💀

Never get an original of any type at release which includes the first original all screen iPhone X,

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Wise choice. Considering the X doesn’t get iOS 17 but the XR not only gets iOS 18 but 7th gen iPad only using 2/4 cores verses A11’s 6 cores is also getting iPadOS 18 💀 💀

Never get an original of any type at release which includes the first original all screen iPhone X,
You're replying to a thread from 2.5 years ago!

Reactions: winxmac

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
You're replying to a thread from 2.5 years ago!
I know but it’s an X verses XR thread and my post is payback when I had the XR back in the day and people I knew who had the X thinks that the X is better than the XR, years later the X is one of the laughing stocks of iPhones because Apple didn’t give it iOS 17

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I know but it’s an X verses XR thread and my post is payback when I had the XR back in the day and people I knew who had the X thinks that the X is better than the XR, years later the X is one of the laughing stocks of iPhones because Apple didn’t give it iOS 17
The XR will get the bare minimum features that iOS18 will offer. Plus it will most likely take a big hit on battery performance and overall UI fluidity.. Not the first time an iPhone received one too many iOS versions.. Just because it's receiving iOS 18 doesn't mean it should...

Reactions: winxmac

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
The XR will get the bare minimum features that iOS18 will offer. Plus it will most likely take a big hit on battery performance and overall UI fluidity.. Not the first time an iPhone received one too many iOS versions.. Just because it's receiving iOS 18 doesn't mean it should...

The sheer irony of your post is that the last time an iPhone had this much OS Support was the 6s at their launch dates. Not to mention that they have the “S” ( besides the R in XR) marketed for the XS and the 6s. Another successful “S” model and the last one unfortunately

XR may get the bare minimum but redesigned control centre, flashlight and camera replaced on the Lock Screen for Apple wallet ( because that is an advantage that Touch ID iPhones have over FaceID when it comes to the Lock Screen but this changes it Halluejah lol no need to navigate a faceID iPhone ( sorry X users)) and something else maybe low power mode

RCS Support is another reason for XR users to laugh at X users not getting this update.

Seamless integration AirPods and AirTags style another reason. And of course security update’s etc

Reactions: Chuckeee

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm the OP. I eventually bought myself a 14Pro to replace the XR. I'm extremely pleased to have the telephoto lens. I use it all the time. I'll never buy another iPhone that doesn't have one.
Telephoto is what's kept me buying Pro models... despite the better colors (and of course lower prices) of the non-Pro. Looking forward to the rumored 5x zoom on the 16 Pro (the Pro Max is just too big).

Reactions: winxmac and Buadhai

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
We can always only see later how a device aged.

Exactly. XR will age much better than the X especially with security updates once XR won’t get whatever future iOS as well as app updates ( though the X and other OS 16 devices in this case are lumped in the same as OS 15 for most apps and maybe iPadOS 17 since no iPhones got dropped)

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The X was better for people who upgrade frequently which is probably the ones who were more likely to have the X in the first place. They don't really care if the XR gets more features now because they're probably using a 15 Pro Max or something. People that keep devices for longer or use older devices think differently about that kind of thing.

In 2024 the XR of course makes more sense to choose.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The 11 Pro was the first iPhone in a small size with a good battery life then followed by the 13 Pro... The 12 series is a skippable model... The only thing good that I see is the purple/lavender model...

Having the iPhone X stop at iOS 16 is fine... The telephoto and dual optical stabilization are the only things that make iPhone X better than iPhone XR when it comes to the cameras... But then again, the iPhone XS have that too and improves upon what the iPhone X has...

If you are after software support and performance, iPhone XR is the better choice...

iPhone 14 Pro should be fine for the OP for many years... I went from iPhone 14 Pro Max to iPhone 13 Pro... Having 2x zoom is nice which was made possible by the 48MP sensor... I wanted to maximize the hardware by shooting 48MP ProRAW but it is taking a considerable amount of time and even though I wanted to keep the 2x zoom, I decided to let it go... The iPhone 14 Pro has a wider aperture and autofocus on the front camera which is of little use to me... I went with the iPhone 13 Pro for the wider aperture and shorter minimum focus distance... Based on some YouTube videos, iPhone 13 Pro series is better for taking photos of documents...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.