Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2022
From your iPhone, go to
Settings > General > AirPlay & Continuity > iPhone Mirroring to pick which Macs can use iPhone Mirroring

IMG_0040.jpeg IMG_0041.jpeg Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 14.03.12.png Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 14.03.40.png Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 14.12.25.png Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 14.13.02.jpeg IMG_0042.jpeg

Some notes:
- The first time you use it, you have to trust your Mac as if you were using old school iTunes sync
- Option to require password/Touch ID on Mac to access mirroring or “automatically authenticate”
- Click the home indicator to go back to the home screen (no need to click and drag to simulate a swipe up)
- No drag and drop file transfers (yet). This has been confirmed delayed by Apple
- iPhone remains locked while mirroring session is in progress. Unlocking iPhone terminates the session until relocked and Try Again is clicked on Mac

Long story short, if you’ve used Simulator in Xcode, this will feel very familiar with a few small tweaks.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I don't understand why it is not available in all regions. This is supposed to be a local connection between the computer and the phone, right? Why does the region matter here?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I'm wondering whether you can answer- & talk on the phone when it's in mirror mode. iPhone mic seems to be inop when mirrored to Mac, at least for my guitar tuner app. Otherwise I agree with @fisherking, it's fun, other killer use cases yet to be discovered.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
Is your phone on today's iOS 18 beta 2? It doesn't work on beta 1, ask me how I know...

I am upgrading iOS now as I hadn't noticed the update as available earlier. But when I start iPhone mirroring on Sequoia I am told that it's not supported in my region. Is it supposed to work with iOS beta 2?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Yes, Juli does state that iOS 18 b2 is required in her front-page article, or it's mentioned in one of them up there.

In what region are you? EU could be problematic. Otherwise, it could be a spurious error message, I got a couple when first trying it with iOS 18 b1. Had to reboot phone and Mac a few times today, finally they got in sync. So it's a bit "rough around the edges", so to speak. Working good now.

Last edited:

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
Yes, Juli does state that iOS 18 b2 is required in her front-page article, or it's mentioned in one of them up there.

In what region are you? EU could be problematic. Otherwise, it could be a spurious error message, I got a couple when first trying it with iOS 18 b1. Had to reboot phone and Mac a few times today, finally they got in sync. So it's a bit "rough around the edges", so to speak. Working good now.
I live in Finland, so EU. I still get he same error even with beta 2 on both macOS and iOS. Really looking forward to trying this out.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
seems... fun. not yet sure when i would use it, but it works (am in NY).
One Use Case I was looking forward to with iPhone mirroring is logging in to my office account with a MobileID password linked to my physical SIM card and hence non-transferable to an eSIM on my iPad. Whenever I needed to log in a pop-up message on my iPhone asked me to enter my user data but there was no notification on my MacBook Pro, nor was I able to enter this information directly. But with this new feature I'm now able to mirror my iPhone, receive a notification request for my user data and enter my password directly from my MacBook Pro.

I've also thought I might try the Journal application that's only available in iOS from my MacBook so I can take advantage of the keyboard. Was hoping to try out that app on my iPad but was disappointed to read that it hasn't been ported over to iPadOS yet.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Just read that both Apple Intelligence and iPhone mirroring may never make it to Europe due to some restrictions due to EU laws :(
Up to you guys, put pressure on Brussels to negotiate terms with Apple. USA voters should be doing the same from our end. We need to stick together.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Just read that both Apple Intelligence and iPhone mirroring may never make it to Europe due to some restrictions due to EU laws :(
Apple announced in the last few days that some features like iPhone mirroring will not be coming to the EU this year because of the DMA.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I see no need for iPhone mirroring in my environment. It appears to be a gimmick at this point. Perhaps there is some relevance with Apple Vision and this is a starting point.

Minimizing an app to get back to the Home Screen is not intuitive. A person must click on the bar at the bottom of the phone, no swiping.

The biggest issue seems to be the use of Face ID to unlock an app. It does not work on three different apps I have tried. Perhaps this will be resolved in future releases and allow the use of the camera on the Mac.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Just read that both Apple Intelligence and iPhone mirroring may never make it to Europe due to some restrictions due to EU laws
The law of unintended consequences. EU laws may be in the process of shooting themselves in the foot for future features. People in the EU need to let their representatives know about their blunder.

On the other hand, I would not put it beyond Apple doing what it can to get get even with the EU. A giant urinating contest where the real losers are the users of the product.

Reactions: rehkram

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
another way is by tapping the icon up top
That bar does not show up on my system unless I move the mouse to the top. That may be by design but it is not readily apparent. There is no way to close apps by swiping up as can be done on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.