Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I saw a video from 9-5 Mac that shows you can unlock apps locked by Face ID using the Touch ID sensor on your MacBook. I don't have that option. It just goes to the black screen like it's looking for Face ID and failed to authenticate. I don't even see an option for it.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I can't get apps that require FaceID, such as WhatsApp and a couple of financial apps, to work at all. Using the touch sensor on the Mac does nothing. I don't know how Apple will resolve this as the camera on the Mac is not a FaceID camera. Perhaps in a future release Apple will arrive at a solution.

Nicolas Som

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
I can't get apps that require FaceID, such as WhatsApp and a couple of financial apps, to work at all. Using the touch sensor on the Mac does nothing. I don't know how Apple will resolve this as the camera on the Mac is not a FaceID camera. Perhaps in a future release Apple will arrive at a solution.
They already did arrive with a solution (but since it's a beta it's not always working / does not seems to work for third party apps):

The FaceID sensor / biometric authentification is replaced by a biometric authentification on the Mac. So either TouchID if your Mac have it, or your Mac password in other cases.

Nicolas Som

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
The only apps for which FaceID is required on my phone are 3rd party apps. TouchID does not work for any of those apps. Thus, no way to access those apps.
For apple apps, it works. Since it's still a beta, it could be that the feature is simply not ready yet.

What I means is that potentially, it's a solution that could work for 3rd party apps too. It would be a solution that actually make sense.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I saw a video from 9-5 Mac that shows you can unlock apps locked by Face ID using the Touch ID sensor on your MacBook. I don't have that option. It just goes to the black screen like it's looking for Face ID and failed to authenticate. I don't even see an option for it.
I noticed it wasn’t always working for me. Restarting the iPhone Mirroring app fixed it.

Edit: After using it a few more days, restarting the mirroring app does not always fix it.

Last edited:

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Same issue here, im not able to login in my banking apps, touch id prompt doesnt appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.