Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hank3rd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
For some reason today, my iPhone 15 Pro is getting really hot. I had to put in in the freezer for a few minutes to cool it down.

I killed all the apps and restarted the phone and it is still getting hot. The battery when from fully charged to 10% in about 1.5 hours.

I am charging it not and have a small portable fan blowing on it.

Leaves me wondering what it might be? I m running iOS 18 Beta 2.

Hank3rd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
I turned it off, put it in the freezer for 5 minutes and when I took it out it still got hot!

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
These sorts of things happen routinely during betas, and they can start (as it appears to have in your case) only after several days.

One thing I’d try is to do a hard restart of the phone. That will hopefully clear out any rogue processes that are running excessively, causing the heat. Of course, the issue may not be rogue processes but rather fully intended processes (like logging) and a restart may not help with those.

If this persists, you could try reinstalling the beta (via IPSW install) to see if that clears things up.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Honestly if you need to put the iPhone in the freezer maybe it's time to forgo installing the beta. A newly released iOS is beta enough for me...

Reactions: pizzzle

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
You should never put it in the freezer, that doesn't sound good at all. If it's so hot that it drains your whole battery in 1.5 hours, you have a rogue process using 100% CPU. Try multiple reboots.

Reactions: JCCL

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
Did you have any bluetooth devices connected to it (watch, airpods, etc.)? I had some major heat issues and severe battery drain with beta 1, but it was resovled for my use case. Just wondering if there are still some issues with the bluetooth stack.

Hank3rd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Ended up charging it up all the way with the portable fan blowing on it and it seems to be normal now. Not sure why or how.

I only put it in the freezer to cool it down a bit to not damage the battery.

I hope that it does not happen again.

The thing is, it still got hot when it was turned off. Strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.