Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Any updates if the iPadOS 17 will display the battery health %? This seems to be the last device that you can't see this information without going 3rd party route or calling Apple.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
DELETED (as I completely misread this thread).

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Yes. You can display the battery health percentage on iPadOS 17.
How?

nota bene: I am aware that you can open Analytics-xxxxxxx.ips.ca.synced from Settings>Privacy&Security>AnalyticsData in e.g. Textastic and search for CycleCount or Capacity to find the information about the current battery health as percentage or the number of full battery charge cycles, but this works at least since iPadOS 14 and it’s not really an easy “display the battery health percentage”-option.🤣😂😀

Somebody made a Shortcut for it in the past (the link goes to the reddit post with the iPadOS 16 version), but because Apple changed the location (as well as keywords) over releases of iPadOS it is quite tedious to keep it up to date.

Reactions: EugW

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don’t think Apple will ever include this. Not only because it’s been present since iOS 11.3 for iPhones and they’ve never made it available for iPads, but also because of how the entirety of Apple’s iPad battery health assessment for replacements goes.

Apple does not replace the battery on iPads. Apple replaces the entire iPad. To do so, you’re required to perform an Apple-assessed battery test which never matches available commercial tools to assess health. Apple’s number on iPads is always at least 9-10% higher than Coconut, whereas it matches the iPhone’s Settings-Battery-Battery Health number. Apple has no interest in changing that. Nobody knows exactly what Apple’s formula is for the number.

I will give an example: my 9.7-inch iPad Pro has 84% health on Coconut. I asked Apple, and they said it is at 93% health. Everyone reports similar results.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Unless there’s a class action lawsuit related to the iPad’s battery, I don’t see Apple adding battery health to iPadOS.

Reactions: fiftofar

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I don’t think Apple will ever include this. Not only because it’s been present since iOS 11.3 for iPhones and they’ve never made it available for iPads, but also because of how the entirety of Apple’s iPad battery health assessment for replacements goes.

Apple does not replace the battery on iPads. Apple replaces the entire iPad. To do so, you’re required to perform an Apple-assessed battery test which never matches available commercial tools to assess health. Apple’s number on iPads is always at least 9-10% higher than Coconut, whereas it matches the iPhone’s Settings-Battery-Battery Health number. Apple has no interest in changing that. Nobody knows exactly what Apple’s formula is for the number.

I will give an example: my 9.7-inch iPad Pro has 84% health on Coconut. I asked Apple, and they said it is at 93% health. Everyone reports similar results.
Old post, but I'll respond anyway:

My iPad Air 2 qualified when I brought it in to Apple many years ago. The battery health was below 80% according to Apple, and the battery replacement program was still active at the time.

But they said they couldn't do it because Apple itself no longer carried the part. :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.