Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first beta of iOS 17.5 potentially references a new fourth-generation Apple Pencil, amid rumors that the accessory will be updated soon.

apple-pencil.jpeg

The beta includes a hidden code reference to a "V4" version of the Apple Pencil, according to MacRumors contributor Steve Moser:
NumberOfApplePencilV1ConnectionsCount
NumberOfApplePencilV2ConnectionsCount
NumberOfApplePencilV3ConnectionsCount
NumberOfApplePencilV4ConnectionsCount
A new Apple Pencil is rumored to launch alongside updated iPad Pro and iPad Air models in May. Apple refers to the USB-C version of the Apple Pencil released last year as the third-generation Apple Pencil in iOS code, so the fourth-generation model would be a new version that would likely succeed the second-generation Apple Pencil.

Additional code in the iOS 17.5 beta uncovered by MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris suggests that the Apple Pencil could gain a "squeeze" gesture for certain actions, but details are slim. The gesture may provide users with a quicker way to add a sticker, text box, signature, or shape in image editing apps, the code suggests.

MacRumors exclusively reported that Apple has tested a new Apple Pencil with visionOS support, but it is unclear if this feature will be released to the public.

Article Link: iPadOS 17.5 Beta Potentially References New Apple Pencil and 'Squeeze' Gesture

Last edited:

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Just give it an actual eraser. I'm tired of it randomly thinking I tapped and switching.

This!!

I had an MS Surface for a while and although the pen computing as part of the main OS felt like a gimmick, I really enjoyed just flipping it around and using the eraser. It's ironic to me that MS call it a Surface PEN and included an eraser, and Apple calls it an Apple PENCIL, and yet it doesn't have an eraser.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
If it works on the iPad Pro M2 and on the AVP, I'm definitely getting it.
It would be great if it works on the iPhone too.
The day Apple brings Apple Pencil support to iPhone, will the same day I officially leave Samsung in the dust and never look back.

[Albeit, it has to be a 100% 1:1 ratio between Apple pencil and S-Pen]

Reactions: KurtWilde

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
perhaps, an interior silo. 🤔
Anything thats better than it just falling off into a bag. I do like the magnetic attachment... but nothing beats a custom, secure, easy access stylus silo.

There is just currently a real lack of slip case options for iPad. A few people I know have struggled to find anything decent that accommodates the dimensions of iPad with Magic Keyboard attached dimensions.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t like this mode of actuation by pressing (as opposed to tapping) against a firm surface that doesn’t “give”. It’s not ergonomic.

Apple has such a weird relationship with buttons.

Reactions: mazz0

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
H
First Gen - Charge with iPad port [The worst one]
Second Gen - Charge with top of iPad Pro [Nice]
Third Gen - Hover feature [exclusive to M2 iPads. Thats some BS]
Fourth Gen - Pinch
Hover was added on the iPad (m2) side, not the pencil side, and works with the 2nd gen pencil.

The 3rd gen pencil is the 1st-gen with usb-c charging.

• Wow
Reactions: hovscorpion12

NASABoomer

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2024
PLEASE - make Pencil like AirTags. Never can find mine when it falls off (and always does). Stopped using as a result

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
Fair enough, the more functionality the better.
Work is picking up for me lately, and I might seriously get an M3 iPad Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.