Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The seventh-generation iPad mini will feature four main upgrades and changes, according to a Weibo leaker with an early track record for disclosing accurate information about Apple's plans.

iPad-mini-review-thumb.jpg

The account, known as "Instant Digital," claims that the seventh-generation iPad mini will feature four key differences, with no other other notable improvements other than the following changes.

A16 Bionic Chip

The next-generation iPad mini will apparently sport the A16 Bionic chip, offering a modest upgrade over the current model that features the A15 Bionic.

iphone-15-a16-bionic.jpg

The A16 Bionic would put the iPad mini on par with the iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15, and iPhone 15 Plus. The chip would deliver around 10% better performance, 50% more GPU memory bandwidth, and a new image processor (ISP) compared to the current model. The chip upgrade is by far the most widely reported upgrade rumored for the seventh-generation iPad mini.

Upgraded Front and Rear Cameras

Instant Digital also claims that the iPad mini will receive upgraded front and rear cameras, but further details about what exactly this will entail are unclear.

ipad-mini-rear-camera.jpg

The current iPad mini has a 12-megapixel rear camera with an ƒ/1.8 aperture and a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide front-facing camera with an ƒ/2.4 aperture. This is the same front and rear camera unit used across all of Apple's iPad models at the moment.

The change could take the form of a tangible upgrade to the iPad mini's camera hardware, or it could encompass software features like Photonic Engine, which has not yet been offered on any iPad models. ProRes video recording, Audio zoom, stereo audio recording, Portrait mode, and Portrait Lighting support are all plausible upgrades in this area.

New Color Options

The seventh-generation iPad mini will be available in a selection of new color options, Instant Digital claims.

ipad-mini-6-lineup.jpg

The current iPad mini is available in Space Gray, Starlight, Pink, and Purple. Apple could retain some of these colors and swap one or two out for new options, or it could overhaul the entire selection. It is not clear what new finishes could be in store, but it is possible Apple could take inspiration from the iPhone 15's Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Pink color options.

Display With Reduced 'Jelly Scrolling' Effect

Last week, Instant Digital said that the seventh-generation iPad mini's screen assembly will be rotated to reduce the effect of "jelly scrolling" that some users complain about with the current model.

ipad-mini-9.jpg

"Jelly scrolling" refers to screen tearing, which can cause text or images on one side of the screen to appear to be tilted downwards because of a mismatch in refresh rates. It can cause one side of the display to look as if it is responding faster than the other side in a visual disturbance that is hard to ignore once noticed.

Apple says the phenomenon is normal behavior for LCD iPads. Since LCD screens refresh line by line, there is a tiny delay between when the lines at the top and lines at the bottom are refreshed. But while this may be normal behavior for LCD screens, it can appear more obvious when observed on the ‌‌iPad mini's smaller screen‌‌.

Users have generally only complained about jelly scrolling when the iPad mini is in portrait orientation. The issue is not reproducible in landscape orientation when scrolling, indicating this is a vertical refresh issue. According to the latest rumor, Apple plans to rotate the screen assembly to reduce the jelly scrolling effect in portrait orientation. Whether it will now become more prominent when the iPad mini is in landscape orientation is yet to be seen, but Instant Digital simply claims that the effect is reduced on the new model.

Next-Generation iPad Pro Details

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple is planning a complete revamp of its Magic Keyboard accessory for the iPad that makes the device more laptop-like.

m1-ipad-pro-magic-keyboards.jpg

The updated version of the Magic Keyboard for iPad will apparently offer a larger trackpad, addressing criticisms of the current model, and "makes the iPad Pro look even more like a laptop than the current setup." The area around the keyboard itself will be made of aluminum, resembling the top case of MacBooks, to provide a sturdier structure. The exterior shell of the keyboard will retain the silicone cover material used on the current model and a single USB-C port. Gurman mused that the redesign using more premium materials could lead Apple to raise the accessory's $299 price point.

Now, Instant Digital claims that the next-generation Magic Keyboard will also be 100% carbon neutral thanks to its redesign and use of different materials. Last month, Apple unveiled its first carbon neutral products: The aluminium Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch SE when paired with a new Sport Loop, as well as the Apple Watch Ultra 2 when paired with a new Trail Loop or Alpine Loop. The company plans for all of its products to be carbon neutral by 2030.

The next-generation iPad Pro models are rumored to feature OLED displays, in a significant first for Apple's tablet lineup. Instant Digital added that Apple plans to use Samsung's Gen 6 OLED panel production lines to supply displays for the next-generation iPad Pro models. Chinese supplier BOE is also apparently still trying to obtain orders from Apple for iPad OLED displays, and is currently trying to improve the quality and suitability of its panels. The devices are not expected to launch until next year.

Will New i... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: iPad Mini 7 Rumored to Feature These Four Upgrades

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Seems like a decent upgrade, although I’m surprised they wouldn’t take this opportunity to put the A17 (maybe scaled down a bit) in the Mini and advertise it as the ultimate mobile gaming machine.
Sure it doesn’t have a hi refresh rate display, but it can easily still fill that old iPod Touch gaming niche that they were always targeting.
And it’s probably more practical to play some of those console games they were advertising on a tablet than it is a phone.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I'd like it to have an M processor so it could get used with an external monitor. If not I'll prob upgrade to an air or older Pro.

Reactions: Stenik

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Regarding colors, I’d like to have a white-bezels option again for iPads.

Yeah I know it’s not going to happen.

Edit: To those who disagree, do you disagree with my assessment of my preferences (tall order!), or with my prediction that it’s not going to happen? ;)

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
A16 is more than just a small performance upgrade. Something nobody mentions is that A16 has 6GB RAM so it should address the reloads that plague 4GB devices like the mini 6 (which some don't even seem to notice or care about).
Having said that, promotion is something I would want so I'll be staying on my mini 5 for a while.

Reactions: IJBrekke

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
the current iPad mini shares the CPU with iPhone 13 Pro and they launched together... it would be kinda disappointing to see A16 in the new mini that comes out after the 15 Pro

IMO both Air and Mini should get A17 Pro to unify them as we've seen back with Air 3 / Mini 5

A17 Pro is as powerful as M1 ... has 8GB RAM and external screen support - no problem for the crappy Stage Manager ... plus it has the new ray-tracing

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
The Mini 6 was launched over two years ago, so it would be strange to just move to the A16. If that was the case, I would have expected it to be available now.

The A17, in some configuration, makes more sense as the Mini 7 is likely to be around for a while. It would also put it closer to the performance of the next-generation Air.

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
Next Gen iPad Pro Keyboard will be more expensive than iPad Air!

iPad Mini with OS not optimised for its display should be banned! and jelly still there? sad.. but i can’t wait for the announcement

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
I hope the iPad Pro‘s revamped Magic Keyboard will be less bulky.

Too bad there is no Smart Cover anymore.

lurkerperson

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
i don't care of anymore of Camera upgrades, Face ID, that just add cost, i rather have better screen.

___
Main Wishlist:

Bigger Screen - sides of iPad Mini 6 too fat, & it looks so ugly. & bigger screen makes text easier to read.

120 hz/Promotion - prob not,
Since rumor mention they fix Jelly Scrolling in iPad Mini 7,
with it positioned back to Portrait Mode, since iPad Mini too small for Landscape reading
[they prob wanted to market it for gaming, so made iPad Mini 6 Landscape,
but most like me use iPad Mini for reading,
& people like me won't notice jelly scrolling in Landscape if i play a game,
like in iPad Mini 5 prob have some jelly scrolling in Landscape.]

8 GB Ram - wish so i can have more tabs open in safari,

128 GB - 64 gb for base model is too lacking, every app larger than they use to be

Bigger Battery - since there still space in left side of iPad Mini 6

Mini Led - i like it better than Oled, i rather have blooming, than fear of Oled Burn in

A17 - since it better battery than rumor A16 in iPad Mini 7

Stage Manager - open this up to A Series Chip, since M Series chip burn too much battery, & don't need it

Make their Usb C to Jack braided

___

Overall this wishlist, prob is like a iPad Mini Pro, but it prob just a wish

Last edited:

BGarza

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
San Francisco
For parents, an iPad mini with cellular is a godsend. I’m pretty sure I have the ugliest shade of purple (gray with a hint of purple), but it doesn’t matter for the very second I got it I put it in a puffy, indestructible, kid case.

My only beef with the current model is a software issue. Guided Access works fine for a while, and then it just stops working, requiring me to reboot the iPad. The problem is, the indestructible kid cases always cover up the necessary buttons to do a restart. So, I have used assistive touch to allow a restart from our little floating button. But, that also keeps losing the restart option over time, only showing the home screen instead. Has anyone else has this issue?

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I guess I'll be keeping my Mini 6 for an additional 3 years or whenever Apple decides to replace the 7. I'm at 89% battery though so that's concerning...

PS: what widget is that in the picture?

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
If retina is as much as eyes can see, why liquid and HD tags?
Liquid retina sounds pretty eye-damaging, not sure why they went with that.

“You’ll love our razor-sharp cutting-edge Searing Eyeballs display!”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.