Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I don't have the beta installed, but it wasn't presented at the keynote, so I'm gonna assume it's STILL not a feature. Why is playing multiple audio so disruptive?!

Can someone tell me if window management has improved? Can we move apps slightly off screen? Cuz I wanna get behind overlaying apps, but it won't let me move it away so that it's reachable.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Why would you want to listen to multiple audio sources at once?! That would send me mad.
I've explained this every year at some point regarding this issue, I would listen to music and want to watch a tutorial video that may not require any listening, just observing. I wanna view my HomeKit videos without needing my YouTube video to pause just to *see* something. I still encounter bugs, such as reddit, where my music would just pause because a video would auto play. I also don't want my audio or video to stop just cause a pop up video started to overtake the screen in safari. If I wanted to glimpse at what someone sent me, I don't want to wait for my currently playing audio to fade in and out, especially when the video may not have any noteworthy audio to listen to. there is so many scenarios and reasons. it's about being less restrictive.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Why would you want to listen to multiple audio sources at once?! That would send me mad.
I'm right there with the OP... I don't want/need to listen to multiple simultaneous audio streams, but what I DO want is to be able read news on various websites without the Music app being paused because there's some media player element on the page that, even though it's not actually playing anything, takes over the audio system. This happens so often and is so annoying, I've given up on trying, and now just play music through my iPhone while reading on my iPad (which just feels silly to have to do).

Another use case... listening to music, and I want to check my Ring cameras, this stops music playback.

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
This seems like a very niche usage case to knock Apple for not including. I’d like a control centre I can actually reach with one hand.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
This seems like a very niche usage case to knock Apple for not including. I’d like a control centre I can actually reach with one hand.
You do realize we can both ask Apple for improvements and not have to fight over it as if they’re making either a priority. Also niche is an understatement, people do this all the time for podcasts, Picture in Picture like reactions, gaming, and commentary.

Reactions: Devyn89

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
This is not a niche use case. it starts with video editing. In the early stages of editing / selecting I very often just listen to music to get in a mood.

Reactions: symphony and 0-0

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
This is basic computing stuff we have since windows 95. Android have this for a good 15 years as well. Still not having this in iPadOS 18 is a real shame and it’s a big reason I still prefer to use my Mac over my iPad.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This is basic computing stuff we have since windows 95. Android have this for a good 15 years as well. Still not having this in iPadOS 18 is a real shame and it’s a big reason I still prefer to use my Mac over my iPad.
Android has had it for 15 years? That’s not true.

Google doesn’t have this feature on their Pixel devices, Samsung released the feature back in 2017 under Sound Assistant. And it’s not even on by default nor is it installed, Galaxy users have to go and download it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Weird what people are posting today heh? It's almost like invasion of Brawndo drinkers.
For some users this might seem like a strange feature request… I get it. But I think if you come from a Mac/Windows perspective, it wouldn’t appear like a foolish ask.

I personally use it on my Galaxy Fold… to watch sports (don’t care for the commentary) and listen to some music/podcast.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Android has had it for 15 years? That’s not true.

Google doesn’t have this feature on their Pixel devices, Samsung released the feature back in 2017 under Sound Assistant. And it’s not even on by default nor is it installed, Galaxy users have to go and download it.
I said that because when I had my nexus 7 tablet back in 2013 I clearly remember I could listened multiple audio source at once… or maybe my memory is messed up.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Weird what people are posting today heh? It's almost like invasion of Brawndo drinkers.
You clearly haven’t used a real computer that much in your life to say something like that. This is a very basic feature (its even not a feature but a must have)m’ many people use every single day. It’s one of the things you don’t make attention or know it’s there until you lose it when you switch to the mobile world.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I said that because when I had my nexus 7 tablet back in 2013 I clearly remember I could listened multiple audio source at once… or maybe my memory is messed up.
I owned the Nexus 6P awhile back and some apps were able to take advantage of this, but it wasn’t as if it was universally backed into the OS.

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
You clearly haven’t used a real computer that much in your life to say something like that. This is a very basic feature (its even not a feature but a must have)m’ many people use every single day. It’s one of the things you don’t make attention or know it’s there until you lose it when you switch to the mobile world.
I’ve been computing since the 1980’s and the only time I’ve ever thought that I needed the ability to listen to multiple audio streams at the same time was when I used to DJ back in college.

I’ve not really ever thought of myself as neurodiverse but I find listening to more than one thing at the same time cacophonous. If I’m trying to watch TV and I can hear a family member blaring something out of their phone at the same time it makes me incredibly stressed. I have to go to the cinema in the day to avoid all the noisy strangers.

I can tune out incidental music, eg when online gaming with friends with the voice chat on. But I could never have music on whilst trying to video edit for example. How would you concentrate?!

NEPOBABY

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
For some users this might seem like a strange feature request… I get it. But I think if you come from a Mac/Windows perspective, it wouldn’t appear like a foolish ask.

I personally use it on my Galaxy Fold… to watch sports (don’t care for the commentary) and listen to some music/podcast.

Almost every decision Apple makes for the iPhone and iPad is geared towards battery life because that's primarily what people ask for on a phone and tablet. Out of a thousand users probably 999 are asking for battery life and 1 is asking to play multiple media files at the same time. Music faces out during phone calls and video conferencing for the same reason.

If Android devices aren't optimizing like that it's not something they can boast about.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
How can some people defend that?
So we should be able to multitask with our eyes but not with our ears?
Nobody ever watch a game while listening to something else?

NEPOBABY

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
How can some people defend that?
So we should be able to multitask with our eyes but not with our ears?
Nobody ever watch a game while listening to something else?

It's called optimizing battery for the majority of users. You can play music and game.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Has anyone downloaded and installed iPadOS 18 beta (or iOS 18) to confirm that you still can't watch a YouTube video muted while listening to music?

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
Duh. Be serious. That's not consuming any more resources if you know how SwiftUI works.
Wait so how does mixing together the audio from two simultaneously running apps cost more battery than two simultaneously running apps within split screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.