Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayemery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
I haven’t been able to find a thread that talks about this, so I apologize if I’ve missed one. I just got the new M4 iPad Pro 13”, and have it attached to a Magic Keyboard and plugged into an external display (BenQ PD3220U). The monitor has a keyboard/mouse attached via USB as well (the monitor has a built-in KVM setup). At least once, but often twice or more per day, my external display goes black (can’t detect an input source) and I start hearing the iPad make the “you just plugged in a USB-C cable, I’m charging now” sound. The sound happens every few seconds, like it’s constantly disconnecting/reconnecting, even though I haven’t touched the cable (and I’ve tried two different USB-C thunderbolt cables so I’m pretty sure it’s not the cable that’s the issue). Unplugging/replugging in the cable doesn’t cause the monitor to turn back on. The only fix I’ve found is to restart the iPad, and then everything starts working again. This is really frustrating considering I‘m trying to do work on the iPad, and it’s just not reliable.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering if there’s something buried in settings somewhere that might help me resolve this.

Thanks for reading!

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
You have the iPP in some case which has a cut out for the USB-C connection? I had just one for mine iPP returned, which ever so slightly restrained the USB-cable I connected and the whole thing was then behaving as you described.
The problem disappeared when I used a cable with better fitting connector (as in: thinner plastic cover part around the connector) or I connected a small hub (again, via a cable with a thinner plastic part) which worked as an intermediate.

In my case it felt different when I connected the „affected“ cables to the „pure“ iPP vs „iPP in cover“ - there is a distinct latching of a USB-C connector to the iPP if the the connection is really stable.

jayemery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for helping me out! I don’t have a case on the iPad, it’s just in the Magic Keyboard (which leaves the USB-C port open). I have a Belkin cable, and a cable that came with my monitor, of which the latter is basically new because I haven’t used it until trying to troubleshoot this problem now :) So it definitely has a healthy “click” which I plug it in. The behaviour certainly seems like it’s a problem with the cable, as you say, but if that was the case then when I unplug/replug the cable it should start working again. Unfortunately once this ‘crash’ happens, no amount of unplugging/replugging fixes the issue. Part of me wonders if it’s a compatibility issue with my monitor, but I don’t own another USB-C monitor to try a different one.

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015
I’ve had the monitor disconnect occasionally while watching long videos but haven’t had any messages and it reconnects on its own. I think, at least in my instance, it might be related to what the iPad senses as inactivity. Turning off auto lock in the display settings has made a major difference, but I think there is a point (maybe an hour?), even with that off, that the iPad looks for your attention (I’m sitting away from the iPad, so it wouldn’t see me as paying attention) and if it doesn’t think you are there, cuts the display. The issues was really bad when doing regular work with an external display and having the iPad to the side when I had auto lock set to five minutes — I am pretty sure it was because I wasn’t looking directly at the iPad during that time and it thought I wasn’t paying attention, so it should lock. Since unlock with FaceID is immediate, it felt more like a display disconnect/reconnect.

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2022
I have been having a lot of issues as well with my M4 13 Pro when it comes to display support. For me, my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse have been randomly cutting out for a few seconds as I am working. I have noticed A LOT of glitches since I downloaded the latest iPadOS. I am really hoping that the next update addresses many of the issues we are having.

Danilamak

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
I’m having same troubles it’s unpredictable and it’s frustrates a lot, i try everything and nothing helping, monitor start reconnect indefinitely and than work normally and than out of blue starts to reconnecting and so on

Most of the time it starts when safari opened.

dr34mc4st3r

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Singapore
i have exactly the same issue, attaching my 11 inch m4 ipad Pro to a thunderbolt dock which then displayport out to my gigabyte m28u monitor. I never had this issue with using my m2 macbook pro. There must be some bug in iPadOS causing this issue. For the record this happens also when I have my Magic Keyboard attached. I have not tried with A Bluetooth keyboard and mouse yet.

jayemery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
After a ton of troubleshooting I figured out exactly what the issue is (for me anyway). I detailed my steps in a post on this thread. Essentially the external display shuts off if the iPad battery is fully charged. If the battery is not at 100%, the external display works. Once the battery hits 100%, the external display dies. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix this, and might just be a compatibility issue between the iPad and monitor. I have the PD3220U so I’m going to reach out to BenQ and see if they have any ideas.

jayemery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
The BenQ PD3220U has two USB-C ports - one supports thunderbolt, and the other doesn’t. Connecting the iPad to the non-thunderbolt USB-C port (the one with just the charging icon) solves the issue; the display doesn’t shut off after the iPad is fully charged. It would seem that something about the thunderbolt connection is the culprit, so if your monitor has multiple USB-C ports, try them all!

My thanks to BenQ support for helping me out with this. I didn’t even know the second USB-C port could be used for display purposes because it only has the charging icon (whereas the other port has a picture of a display).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.