Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
There's something wrong with my calculator app on the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

It shows wrong results...Am I the only one with this problem?

Video
Yikes! In all fairness, iOS 18 is still in beta.. hopefully that issue will be corrected before public release.

buzzman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
sure, i have no worries, just saw that yesterday and was wondering if I'm the only one

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
There's something wrong with my calculator app on the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

It shows wrong results...Am I the only one with this problem?

Video
Works right for me. What language/region do you have your phone set to?
Make sure to report it. These calculator bugs are actually common. I have major deja vu that we have talked about this every .0 beta cycle for a few years now.

buzzman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Works right for me. What language/region do you have your phone set to?
Make sure to report it. These calculator bugs are actually common. I have major deja vu that we have talked about this every .0 beta cycle for a few years now.
It is set to Switzerland, German

Attachments

• IMG_6316.PNG
    IMG_6316.PNG
    285.4 KB · Views: 41

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Of course, but early betas often screw things up especially when it comes to localisation and/or non-English languages.
But I don’t understand how they can screw up math. 2+2 = 4, or is that only in America? What does 2+2 equal in other countries?

People keep praising AI, but I’m not sure we need machines handling more when they can’t even get a simple subtraction correct (see video in OP post).

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
But I don’t understand how they can screw up math. 2+2 = 4, or is that only in America? What does 2+2 equal in other countries?

People keep praising AI, but I’m not sure we need machines handling more when they can’t even get a simple subtraction correct (see video in OP post).
It's the apostrophe in the number which is confusing it.

Reactions: Iwavvns

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's the apostrophe in the number which is confusing it.
But it really shouldn't. The apostrophe shouldn't be stored, and should only be used when the number is displayed. It sounds like Apple is storing formatted numbers as strings instead of as - wait for it - numbers. I'm actually astounded that such an error could creep in there in this day and age.

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017

Standard or metric? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Iwavvns

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
But it really shouldn't. The apostrophe shouldn't be stored, and should only be used when the number is displayed. It sounds like Apple is storing formatted numbers as strings instead of as - wait for it - numbers. I'm actually astounded that such an error could creep in there in this day and age.
Maybe they used their own Apple Intelligence?

• Haha
Reactions: Nermal

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The iOS calculator has never shown all of the keystrokes in the display before. It only shows one number in the display and then operates on that number to generate another. If this calculator is behaving differently, then it's probably a major rewrite, and bug in the beta implementation should be expected. They'll fix it.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.