Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 17, Apple added a handful of new improvements to on-device personal assistant Siri and the Spotlight search feature. There aren't any major changes, but Spotlight search has improved, and for Siri, it's easier than ever to use.

iOS-17-Siri-Feature.jpg

This guide highlights all of the Siri and Spotlight features and changes in iOS 17.

No More Hey Siri

You can just say "Siri" to activate Siri, dropping the "Hey" that's been used as a wake word for years. Siri will activate when you say the Siri word, so you can speak more naturally.

Hey-Siri-vs-Siri.jpeg

"Siri, can you tell me what time it is?" is a phrase that Siri recognizes, for example.

Back-to-Back Requests

Siri is able to recognize and respond to multiple back-to-back requests without needing to be reactivated.

You can, for example, ask Siri to tell you the time, and then follow that up with a request to text your friend that you're going to be late all in the same Siri request.

Web Articles

In Safari, there's a new Siri feature that allows the personal assistant to read a web article to you. As long as a site has Reader View available, you can say "Siri, read this to me" to have Siri read the content on the page.

siri-read-article.jpg

There are playback tools, so you can fast forward, pause, resume, and rewind from the Lock Screen.

Siri Messaging

When you ask Siri to send a message, you can now tap to select which app you want to send it from. This allows you to send messages not just from Apple's built-in Messages app, but also third-party apps like Telegram and WhatsApp.

siri-messaging-ios-17.jpg

The feature is compatible with any third-party app that has "Use with Ask Siri" enabled in the Settings app.

Siri and StandBy

Siri can be activated in StandBy mode, the new option for turning a charging iPhone into a home hub. When you ask Siri a question, there's a new full-screen UI that will show the results in landscape mode.

standby-siri.jpg

If you ask about the weather, for example, you'll see the current temperature and icons that denote the weather conditions.

Siri UK Voices

There are two new "British" Siri voices available in iOS 17, making a total of four.

Siri in India

iOS 17 supports bilingual Siri queries that mix English with Hindi, Telegu, Punjabi, Kannada, or Marathi.

Spotlight Search

Search results have been improved with new colors and app icons to make it easier to see what's what. If you search for cats, for example, and one of the results is an option to tap into Safari for a web search, you'll see a Safari icon instead of the prior magnifying glass icon.

ios-17-spotlight-search.jpg

App Shortcuts

When searching for an app, Spotlight now offers App Shortcuts in the top hits section. If you search for Photos and often go to the Favorites album, Spotlight will show you a link to get directly to the Favorites album from the search interface.

photos-app-shortcuts.jpg

Read More

Additional details on the new features in the iOS 17 update can be found in our iOS 17 roundup.

Article Link: iOS 17: Everything New With Siri and Spotlight

Last edited:

slomtbr

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
And you get the pleasure of telling Siri (in CarPlay) which app you want to use to listen to music.
Every
Single
Time
:mad:
Without cellular service, Siri used to (≤ios16) would tell you there's a network problem, but play your request anyway. Now (iOS17db5), it just doesn't work.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Really really curious to see how the new "Siri" trigger experience will be on HomePod. It happens too often while I'm on a (video) call that my HomePod suddenly starts playing random music or looks up weird stuff on the internet.

With all the advancements in AI, there is hope the trigger recognition is actually better, not just more convenient.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I hope they get rid of the lag in CarPlay when beckoning Siri. For me, when I say "Hey, Siri", there's a pause of about three seconds before the Siri bubble appears. But then I can't say anything; I have to wait a few more seconds for the bubble to beep before I can utter my request. That's a recent development. Siri used to be more responsive.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Siri is such a progress for human intelligence and communication, uhm not.

I can imagine that voice assistants can serve well for larger companies and such.
For people in general, improving and evolving general communication is a better idea then decreasing it with a not-so-smart assistant.

I maybe tried using Siri a month or two when it came, then I turned it off.
Never a regret.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
The Hey Siri to Siri change is okay, but I find it most useful on the HomePod. It feels much more natural to use quickly for something like "Siri turn it down."
I guess I have too many Apple devices around, they are not far away. Older iPads are especially good to use as as control-devices with very few app's for certain inputs, so for me it’s easier to pic up or rather use it in the dock it stands in, to control such things that I assume that Siri is used for.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
Siri is such an absolute embarrassment. Do Apple employees/executives use Siri? Do you think Tim Cook has HomePods in his $10M+ home in Palm Springs and suffers daily with them? That would make me feel better because my wife and I have come to hate Siri. Yes, hate is a strong word but Siri is just so GD stupid and variable. "Who's speaking?" It's just me you idiot - the only MALE in the household!!! "Hmmm, this is taking a bit too long..." Yeah, no sh*t, it was a simple request to play music!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! After 5 years of pops and clicks, one of my two paired OG HomePods died a week ago. I replaced both with two new large HomePods in the hopes that 5 years of newer hardware improvements would help. Nope, Siri is still as bad as ever. Apple, for the love of technology, PLEASE do something to improve Siri!!! Finally, when I tell Siri good night, please change it so she says "Good night" lovingly instead of like she is asking a question!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.