Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 15, Apple has made some welcome improvements to the Photos app, such as the ability to see the EXIF data for a photo. The latter feature is accessed via a new "Info" button, which also brings up a caption field for the selected photo, the location where the photo was taken, and any Look Up information available.

ios-15-photos-saved-from.jpg

In addition to the above, the Info button will also tell you which app on your device that an image was saved from if you didn't take it using your camera. For instance, in the example above, you can see that the HomePod image was saved from the web via Safari.

This metadata information also acts like an organizing tag, so if you tap the "Saved from" location in bold, the Photos app will filter your photo library to show you any other images that were saved from the same app, meaning you don't have to scroll endlessly for any others that might be in your camera roll.

The new feature adds another organizational layer to your photos, allowing you to, say, find all the images you've saved from Messages or WhatsApp conversation threads without having to go into the apps themselves.

iOS 15 is available as an early developer beta, with a public beta due to be released next month and an official release set to drop this fall.

Article Link: iOS 15 Photos App Tells You Which Apps Saved Images Originated From

Reactions: JKAussieSkater

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
But can they be rearranged in the camera roll, or the date changed? This would actually be useful.

Reactions: PimpDaddy

LasseFar93

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
Nice! Would be really cool, if you could set up rules, to auto delete certain app images, such as Pokemon GO screenshots.

Edit:
Just noticed that it is possible to set up through shortcuts based on different filters, hopefully this will be exposed too :D

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
it still misses the most basic function though. Telling me which photos have already been saved to an album right from the endless camera roll or better yet, even which folder with a little indicator in the corner. As soon as you don’t sort your photos Right away, it becomes a mess. For instance I didn’t sort my photos in a month and now I am looking at this mess of a feed like hmmmm did I already sort these photos? Where did I stop sorting? Whatever, I’ll just select all the photos of my nephew since February again to be sure

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
it still misses the most basic function though. Telling me which photos have already been saved to an album right from the endless camera roll or better yet, even which folder with a little indicator in the corner. As soon as you don’t sort your photos Right away, it becomes a mess. For instance I didn’t sort my photos in a month and now I am looking at this mess of a feed like hmmmm did I already sort these photos? Where did I stop sorting? Whatever, I’ll just select all the photos of my nephew since February again to be sure
That is a very good point, especially someone with lots of photos. One shouldn't have to use an electronic sticky in order to keep track of such things.

Reactions: name99

danielagos

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
In macOS, you can create a smart album with all the photos that are not inside any albums. Unfortunately, I don't think this feature is available in iOS or iPadOS... I don't even know if smart folders sync between devices.

Reactions: ealeks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Good to see Apple brings those EXIF field forward to let users search for it. Maybe I can finally start organising images obtained online, obtained from apps, or obtained from…uh…taking photos.
Wonder how many more hidden fields are in those photos, and Apple suddenly allows us to search for “people” by typing name on it, like those anime characters.

Reactions: RPi-AS

dabi

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2021
EU
Still waiting for the day when the camera roll is part of the files app, and vice versa. So when I pick an image from any app, it lets me pick any file without having to save it to the camera roll first. The fact that those two spaces are separate is a bit confusing to me, idk if it's just me.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I’ve been asking in feedback to split “Saved Photos” (images I saved) from “Camera Roll” (photos I took) for years - this is at least a good compromise and will drastically cut down on my sorting time!!

Reactions: Archmage

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
This was available ages ago. Just pinch to zoom in and out. You can even have 30+ on 1 row
You can have 3 or 5. Three is too big, five is too small. It's almost like 4 in a row was the right number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.