Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of watchOS 7.4 and iOS 14.5, Apple has added AirPlay 2 support to the Apple Fitness+ app. That means Apple Fitness+ workouts can be streamed to ‌AirPlay‌ 2-compatible television sets from an iPhone or iPad, allowing workouts to be viewed on a larger screen without requiring an Apple TV.

fitness-plus.jpg

AirPlay 2-enabled TVs are available from a variety of brands, including Samsung, Sony, LG, and Vizio. Roku TVs sold by brands like TCL, Sharp, and Hisense also support AirPlay 2, or users can connect a Roku streaming stick to their existing smart TV via the HDMI port as a cost-effective way of streaming Apple Fitness+ workouts via AirPlay 2.

One thing to bear in mind when using Apple Fitness+ with AirPlay is that Apple Watch metrics aren't displayed on the screen as they are when using the service with an Apple TV, iPhone, or iPad. Activity rings, calories burned, workout time remaining, and burn bars won't show on your TV, but you can still glance at your connected Apple Watch and iPhone or iPad to view that info.

1. Turn on your AirPlay-compatible television set and launch the Apple Fitness app on your iPhone or iPad.
    Select a workout type, choose a workout type, then hit the green Let's Go button.
    apple-fitness-airplay-tv1-e1619516069488.jpg

Tap the AirPlay icon in the bottom-right corner of the workout loading screen and select your TV from the list of AirPlay options.
    apple-fitness-airplay-tv3-e1619516170493.jpg

Continue following the workout on your television, and remember to check your Apple Watch for real-time metrics.
    apple-fitness-airplay-tv2-e1619516211182.jpg
For more helpful articles about the new features in iOS 14.5, be sure to check out our dedicated guide.

Article Link: iOS 14.5: How to Use AirPlay 2 With Apple Fitness+

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
It isn’t working for me. Lg with AirPlay 2 and each time I try it tells me it’s “unable to connect”. Both are on the same WiFi. Any suggestions? I did reset my WiFi settings on both. Turned both on and off but no dice.

Update: Finally got it to work by completely resetting the tv.

Last edited:

Bendoc62

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
I was hoping to use this feature with air server on the Mac. But it doesn’t appear to work. Anyone gotten this to work?

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
I used it on a TCL and it worked like it should, I’m still completely shocked this wasn’t a feature that was included at original launch.

What’s sad is I’ll only use it for a few more weeks since I’m going to cave and get the new Apple TV everyone said wasn’t coming out!

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Works perfectly with my Samsung q6. It was pretty ahort sighted for Apple to not include this at rollout.

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
Every time I see that picture of the girl in the pink, for a split second I think it's DJ Pauly D. Then I zoom in and realize once again that it is very obviously not.

clarkm

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Maryland
The 'Preview' button works for me and airplays fine. However when I click 'Let's Go' I see the countdown and then the screen goes black. Anyone else have this problem?

qoop

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2021
THE UNITED KINGDOM
Most British people find that constant artificial cheeriness to be suspicious. Think of a lone plastic bag in the middle of an airport. Unattended. You wouldn't approach it would you? We like a bit of misery in the UK.

zekkragnos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I’ve been using this for the past couple of days but one thing I noticed is that I don’t see the circles and the burn bar on screen. Is it because I’m air playing or is there a setting that I’m missing to get those on screen as if I were using the AppleTV?

lartola

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2017
I’ve been using this for the past couple of days but one thing I noticed is that I don’t see the circles and the burn bar on screen. Is it because I’m air playing or is there a setting that I’m missing to get those on screen as if I were using the AppleTV?
It is expected behavior. Unless you’re using an Apple TV 4th gen or later or casting the workouts to your tv using a USB-C to HDMI dongle (compatible with ipad pro 3rd gen or later only) you don’t get the apple watch metric overlays on the tv screen.

Last edited:

Elian_Gonzalez

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2016
How droll that techie boyz on their third bag of Cheetos before 9 am are knocking promo stills with smiling instructors.

MNWildFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Nope, at least as of right now, the ONLY way to view those is if you have an Apple TV. Very short-sighted of them to exclude such a nice feature for us just doing AirPlay.

MNWildFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this, but why can't they have the metrics that are able to show up if you're using an Apple TV to show up when you're doing AirPlay? I'm sure there's some reason why, but I just don't understand why such a feature is being omitted if you're doing AirPlay as opposed to using an Apple TV for Fitness+...

Reactions: Jezzag and BrettN

lartola

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2017
Nope, at least as of right now, the ONLY way to view those is if you have an Apple TV. Very short-sighted of them to exclude such a nice feature for us just doing AirPlay.
No that’s not the only way. If you own an iPad Pro 3rd gen or later and cast from it to your TV using a USB-C to HDMI dongle and an HDMI cable you do get metrics too. Those are the only TWO ways to get the metrics on the TV screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.