Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in early November, Apple released iOS 14.2 and announced with it a slew of new features for iPhones, but one thing it didn't mention was the apparent addition of support for 1080p FaceTime calls on iPhone 8 and later devices.

iphone8guide-b.jpg

The little-known fact was discovered by MacMagazine, which found that Apple quietly updated the specs pages for devices like iPhone XR shortly after the release of iOS 14.2.

Prior to the release, Apple didn't list FaceTime HD (1080p) video calls on its iPhone XR pages, but made the addition in the week following the debut of iOS 14.2.

Looking at Apple's iPhone comparison tool, Apple also now makes clear that FaceTime HD (1080p) over Wi-Fi is available on all models including iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone SE (2020), iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max.

facetime-iphone-8.jpg

That means when it comes to using FaceTime HD, the only advantage of the iPhone 12 series is support for the resolution over both Wi-Fi and 5G.

According to tests carried out by MacMagazine, the difference in quality between 1080p over Wi-Fi and 720p over 4G was very noticeable on the older iPhones.

Article Link: iOS 14.2 Quietly Added FaceTime 1080p Support to iPhone 8 and Later Models

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Good to see my iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone SE getting more functionality. Now just need WhatsApp to release its multi device feature and I can alternate between my 12 mini, 8 plus and SE as I desperately miss Touch ID (Face ID gives me headaches so turned it off.)

• Disagree
Reactions: ikir

-Maxim-

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
But WHY has this been limited to 720p so far? The hardware/camera is the same obviously and the internet connection speed isn't the bottleneck now nor was it 3 years ago.
Apple could have used that for marketing all those years. I don't quite understand that...

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
No love for the 6s :(

in all fairness this should have happened years ago, shameful that Apple held this off for so long...and it was available by software update...hmm!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.