Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iCloud Keychain password manager in Apple's iCloud for Windows app now supports two-factor authentication codes, according to user reports posted on Reddit.

icloud-windows-strong-password.jpg

Two-factor authentication, or 2FA, acts as an additional layer of security for online accounts, by requesting a code generated by a password manager when the account owner logs in.

Apple includes support for the generation of 2FA codes in iCloud Keychain in iOS 15 and macOS Monterey, thereby avoiding the need for a third-party two-factor authentication app. Now it appears that Apple has brought parity to the password manager that is included in its iCloud for Windows utility by including a 2FA generator, according to Redditors.

Apple debuted the iCloud Keychain password manager app last August, allowing Windows users to access their iCloud Keychain passwords for cross-device functionality. Apple in November also added an option to let uses generate strong passwords in iCloud for Windows.

With the password management option, those who are running Windows can access their ‌iCloud‌ Keychain passwords and can add, edit, copy and paste, delete, and look up usernames or passwords.

‌iCloud‌ password extensions for Microsoft Edge and Windows Chrome work in tandem with the password feature, letting ‌iCloud‌ passwords be autofilled on a Windows machine just like in Safari. ‌iCloud‌ for Windows Passwords is part of ‌iCloud‌ for Windows, and Windows users can download it from the Microsoft Store.

(Via 9to5Mac.)

Article Link: iCloud Passwords for Windows Gains 2FA Code Generator

DreadedFun

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2021
Maybe this means that the iCloud password manager now will work on my computers? It’s been broken (acts really weird, to tell a long story short) from day one.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
"It's like giving a glass of ice water to somebody in hell."
-Steve Jobs on iTunes for Windows

It appears that Apple will continue to alleviate those who are burning under Redmond's all-seeing gaze. I haven't used a Microsoft product since I switched in 2005, but I can see why this would be beneficial to others.

• Haha
Reactions: omenatarhuri

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
It doesn't make security sense to have your TOTP codes in the same password manager as your passwords. The purpose of the TOTP is to have a separate factor - putting it in the same manager that handles your passwords nullifies that if your manager is compromised.

Ho Tai

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2018
Not bad, but the iOS version of the Keychain password manager allows me to add notes, for example an account number. I don't see this in the Windows version. If that were available, I think I could dump my LastPass account (after a lengthy migration, unless there's a migration tool available).

Reactions: Oberhorst

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Would’ve killed for this 3 years ago haha

Cool to see they finally let us use 2FA on windows though

Like when they finally released Precision Touchpad drivers for Windows for use in Boot Camp…just before they kill Intel Macs and Boot Camp.

Always baffling what Apple chooses to support and what they choose to not support for Windows.

Oberhorst

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
Stockholm
Wait does this mean I can use Chrome on mac & steamdeck with an iCloud extension????
Unfortunately not, the app/extension only supports Windows. The outrageous thing is that when you try to install it on macOS, it tells you that when you're on macOS, your passwords would sync automatically with iCloud – which is simply not true for Edge/Chrome.

Really annoying since I use both Edge (work) and Safari (private) on macOS. I guess they don't want you to use third party browsers on macOS. Where is the EU when you need them? Sounds like a perfect example for them to regulate.

Reactions: Shirasaki

d3n

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
CHE
That’s the exact reason I went back to my Enpass Setup, which works across browsers, systems. No matter how much I‘d like the iCloud Passwords for me to work out. In the current implementation, I hardly doubt that anyone coming from a dedicated password manager will be happy.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
And how exactly do I get this? Shows no updates and when I go to it it still does not have 2FA. Useless article unless you tell others how to get this.

Tried removing the extension and adding it back still no 2FA.

Reactions: jagooch

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Still useless for me until they add the ability to import/export passwords, and fix the browser extension so that you can stay logged in permanently

Reactions: DblHelix

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've got a problem with Apple Passwords on Windows. None of my 2FA codes are right. I can see my iPhone and iPad have matching 2FA codes but Apple Passwords on Windows does not. None of the 2FA codes generated by the Windows program work.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it?

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I've got a problem with Apple Passwords on Windows. None of my 2FA codes are right. I can see my iPhone and iPad have matching 2FA codes but Apple Passwords on Windows does not. None of the 2FA codes generated by the Windows program work.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it?
No idea. It seems to work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.