Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS Sequoia, Apple has added a new "Keep Downloaded" option when browsing items in iCloud, allowing users to designate which files and folders should remain permanently available locally on their device.

macos-15-keep-downloaded.jpg

In previous versions of iOS and macOS, users had limited control over which files and folders were kept offline. iCloud's automatic management system would offload files from the device to free up space, potentially removing files that you might want to keep available at all times.

Apple offered no straightforward way to prevent this – until now. In macOS Sequoia, when browsing iCloud Drive in Finder, right-clicking a file or folder reveals the new "Keep Downloaded" option. When enabled, the cloud symbol next to the item is opaque instead of transparent, indicating that it will remain on the device.

In iOS 18 and iPadOS 18, the same option can be found in the Files app when a file or folder is long pressed to bring up the contextual menu. Users can now explicitly mark files to remain on their device, regardless of how much storage they take up.

The ability to prevent iCloud items from being offloaded should be particularly welcomed by users who need to frequently access documents or files during travel or in areas with poor connectivity. macOS Sequoia, iOS 18, and iPadOS 18 are available in a beta capacity right now, and are limited to developers. The new option should be available to all users when the software launches to the public this fall.

Article Link: iCloud 'Keep Downloaded' Option Included in iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
A basic option/feature that really should have always been there from the beginning.

I mean in the meetings about how people use such file management did no one put their hands up and mention this one aspect?

Were they more concerned about how thin it was? Offloading files

JonathanParker

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
Thank you Apple. Now I can keep my Programming projects directory stored in iCloud on my computer, whilst still having them sync across devices. Having files randomly offload caused code dependency issues and other weird bugs.

Small quality of life improvements like this, and the “Fast” Haptic speed introducing in iOS 17 are underrated and I would love to see more in Apple software releases alongside major features.

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022

In iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS Sequoia, Apple has added a new "Keep Downloaded" option when browsing items in iCloud, allowing users to designate which files and folders should remain permanently available locally on their device.

macos-15-keep-downloaded.jpg

In previous versions of iOS and macOS, users had limited control over which files and folders were kept offline. iCloud's automatic management system would offload files from the device to free up space, potentially removing files that you might want to keep available at all times.

Apple offered no straightforward way to prevent this – until now. In macOS Sequoia, when browsing iCloud Drive in Finder, right-clicking a file or folder reveals the new "Keep Downloaded" option. When enabled, the cloud symbol next to the item is opaque instead of transparent, indicating that it will remain on the device.

In iOS 18 and iPadOS 18, the same option can be found in the Files app when a file or folder is long pressed to bring up the contextual menu. Users can now explicitly mark files to remain on their device, regardless of how much storage they take up.

The ability to prevent iCloud items from being offloaded should be particularly welcomed by users who need to frequently access documents or files during travel or in areas with poor connectivity. macOS Sequoia, iOS 18, and iPadOS 18 are available in a beta capacity right now, and are limited to developers. The new option should be available to all users when the software launches to the public this fall.

Article Link: iCloud 'Keep Downloaded' Option Included in iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia
Stuff like this is deflating. Apple is supposed to be the detail oriented tech company that may launch a product Late but the product launched as a complete product. Been around since what they 80s. Yet things like this take this long? I thought this was there and would get annoyed when things would delete and I’d what if I had accidentally messed it up. I’m glad this is there but sometimes I wonder if the extra time to set stuff up on Linux would be worth it to have things work the way I want vs with apple where the rug gets pulled out from me from time to time.

(And in the interest of fairness: Microsoft esp lately Is so much worse in this regard. With the random installation of apps without permission, egregious ads in the OS way worse than what Apple does with advertising iCloud/music/arcade in its OS. The really lazy security on recall, and on and on).

davem20

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2018
iCloud frequently breaks my Xcode projects. Glad that I will be able to keep all the files local.

Reactions: Parowdy

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Much needed addition. The "Remove Download" and "Keep Downloaded" language still leaves great room for confusion compared to Dropbox's "Make Available Offline" and "Make Online-Only".... the "Remove" language in particular is easily confused with "am I deleting the file if I press this?"

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Stuff like this is deflating. Apple is supposed to be the detail oriented tech company that may launch a product Late but the product launched as a complete product. Been around since what they 80s. Yet things like this take this long? I thought this was there and would get annoyed when things would delete and I’d what if I had accidentally messed it up. I’m glad this is there but sometimes I wonder if the extra time to set stuff up on Linux would be worth it to have things work the way I want vs with apple where the rug gets pulled out from me from time to time.

(And in the interest of fairness: Microsoft esp lately Is so much worse in this regard. With the random installation of apps without permission, egregious ads in the OS way worse than what Apple does with advertising iCloud/music/arcade in its OS. The really lazy security on recall, and on and on).
My experience with windows has been fantastic. Adds? I’ve not ever seen any. Where do they show you adds?

Reactions: eyez73

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
A basic option/feature that really should have always been there from the beginning.

I mean in the meetings about how people use such file management did no one put their hands up and mention this one aspect?

Were they more concerned about how thin it was? Offloading files
I feel there is always one angry person with features like this who insists their viewpoint is the correct one and people will love it.

OR, a survey went out to a bunch of users with terrible questions such as "are you OK with downloaded files you are not currently using filling up your hard drive so you're unable to access new files?"

Its always nice at least when Apple returns to industry standards.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
2TB iPhone 16 Pro?

I’d like an option to download and keep all files in iCloud Drive offline.
We always have had that. I've always set my to keep local copy of all iCloud Drive files when offline. This article while it seems to not mention that is referrring to people who have it set to unload files as needed etc, and with this change now even then you can force select files to stay downloaded. For those with enough storage space however, always better to have all files remain local.

Reactions: Parowdy

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
Microsoft esp lately Is so much worse in this regard. With the random installation of apps without permission
Microsoft is now uploading personal folders to OneDrive without asking for permission.

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022
Microsoft is now uploading personal folders to OneDrive without asking for permission.

::vomit:: Microsoft really did a number for us for a while there talking about being more open than Apple and welcoming of everyone. And they’d learned from their monopoly days. Ya right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.