Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Lens can now recognize over a billion items in the world around us, the search engine giant announced this week.

That's four times as many things that the AI-powered feature could identify when it was first launched last year, thanks partly to a huge number of Google Shopping products which have been added to its knowledge base.

how-to-use-google-lens-5.jpg

While its optical character recognition engine has been optimized to read more product labels, Google has also honed its machine learning and AI to recognize more animals, including common pet breeds.

how-to-use-google-lens-2.jpg

In addition, you can use Lens to get more information about places as well as word definitions and translations of words. Google Lens can now also recognize people, Wi-Fi network names for auto-connecting, and geometric shapes. And if it isn't sure what an object is, it will offer up similar photos that match.

Google Lens originally appeared on iOS as part of Google Photos and could only be used on pictures you'd taken. However, last week Google added the feature to its flagship search app, and this implementation is better since it allows you to aim your phone's camera at things in your environment in real time.
Follow the steps below if you'd like to give it a whirl.

How to Use Google Lens on iPhone
  1. If you don't have it already, download the Google app [Direct Link] from the App Store and launch it.
  2. Sign in with your Google credentials or create an account.
    Tap the Lens icon to the left of the microphone in the Search bar.
    how-to-use-google-lens-4.jpg

Tap the blue button that says Turn on camera to use Lens.
  3. Tap OK in the permissions alert to allow Google to access your camera.
  4. Aim your device's camera at an object that you'd like more information about and tap on the circle that appears. If light is poor, you can activate your phone's flash using the lightning bolt button to illuminate whatever is in frame.
    how-to-use-google-lens-1.jpg

If you want to use Google Lens on photos you've taken, tap the picture icon at the top right of the camera view, tap OK in the permissions alert to allow Google to access your photo library, then select a photo.
    how-to-use-google-lens-3.jpg
If you want to withdraw Google's access to your camera and photos you can do so anytime by following these steps.

How to Disable Google Search App Permissions
  1. Launch the Settings app.
    Select Google from the list of third-party apps.
    how-to-use-google-lens.jpg

Turn off Google's access to your device's camera by toggling off the Camera switch.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Tap Never.

Article Link: How to Use Google Lens on iPhone

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Not sure this is worldwide. No lens icon in the uk as yet
I had to sign in with my google account. The lens icon still didn’t appear, but closing the app completely and restarting it fixed that.

Edit: It seems that logging in probably wasn’t necessary......just close the app completely and restart it.

Last edited:

macsimcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Google Lens launches, but whenever it shows me the results of something I've pointed at, the app quits a few seconds later. Lame.

Reactions: Jason83

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Same issue on iPhone XS with latest iOS in germany. Cant even set camera permissions.

I downloaded it and confirmed the the release notes of Google Lens. In Settings the Camera option is not available and the App has no hint this feature exists.

Deleting it. First World Problems.

Gary Z

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012

Google Lens can now recognize over a billion items in the world around us, the search engine giant announced this week.

That's four times as many things that the AI-powered feature could identify when it was first launched last year, thanks partly to a huge number of Google Shopping products which have been added to its knowledge base.

how-to-use-google-lens-5.jpg

While its optical character recognition engine has been optimized to read more product labels, Google has also honed its machine learning and AI to recognize more animals, including common pet breeds.

how-to-use-google-lens-2.jpg

In addition, you can use Lens to get more information about places as well as word definitions and translations of words. Google Lens can now also recognize people, Wi-Fi network names for auto-connecting, and geometric shapes. And if it isn't sure what an object is, it will offer up similar photos that match.

Google Lens originally appeared on iOS as part of Google Photos and could only be used on pictures you'd taken. However, last week Google added the feature to its flagship search app, and this implementation is better since it allows you to aim your phone's camera at things in your environment in real time.
Follow the steps below if you'd like to give it a whirl.

How to Use Google Lens on iPhone
  1. If you don't have it already, download the Google app [Direct Link] from the App Store and launch it.
  2. Sign in with your Google credentials or create an account.
    Tap the Lens icon to the left of the microphone in the Search bar.
    how-to-use-google-lens-4.jpg

Tap the blue button that says Turn on camera to use Lens.
  3. Tap OK in the permissions alert to allow Google to access your camera.
  4. Aim your device's camera at an object that you'd like more information about and tap on the circle that appears. If light is poor, you can activate your phone's flash using the lightning bolt button to illuminate whatever is in frame.
    how-to-use-google-lens-1.jpg

If you want to use Google Lens on photos you've taken, tap the picture icon at the top right of the camera view, tap OK in the permissions alert to allow Google to access your photo library, then select a photo.
    how-to-use-google-lens-3.jpg
If you want to withdraw Google's access to your camera and photos you can do so anytime by following these steps.

How to Disable Google Search App Permissions
  1. Launch the Settings app.
    Select Google from the list of third-party apps.
    how-to-use-google-lens.jpg

Turn off Google's access to your device's camera by toggling off the Camera switch.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Tap Never.

Article Link: How to Use Google Lens on iPhone
[doublepost=1545412526][/doublepost]In SF with 10 XS and no lens in the app

Reactions: S G

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I'm in the US. No camera icon when I launched it. I killed the app and then launched it, and the camera icon is there now.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
While Google is actually making use of AR for real world uses, Apple is making kids games with it.

It’s very impressive from a tech POV, but I personally can’t see me getting much use out of it. I can’t think of many situations where I would have needed an app to identify an object for me.

I imagine this technology could be extremely useful for people with visual impairments, though.

Of course, I don’t really use Apple’s AR much, either.

Reactions: dominiongamma

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I haven’t installed it yet but I surely will do. This seems to be a very useful innovative programm. Wish Apple would build something like that instead of stickers and emoji.

Reactions: BeforeTheMeds

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
“Son, looks like we need have to have another ‘privacy’ talk.”

One can only wonder (shudder) how Google monetizes you with every picture you take using this service.

Agreed. While I admire the tech and don't wanna be a luddite, my iPhone is proudly Google free (DNS, VPN and ad/tracker blockers to make sure) and I won't be using this.

To me privacy is important and this kinda tech bugs me when I know the only purpose of it is to be able to track people, so you can sell them out. Not interested...

This makes me wonder whether some day soon, privacy will come at a premium. For example, while travelling I love finding random little niche places that are untouched. A 'stuff you can't find on Google' tour would be pretty cool... I'd pay for it :D

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Agreed. While I admire the tech and don't wanna be a luddite, my iPhone is proudly Google free (DNS, VPN and ad/tracker blockers to make sure) and I won't be using this.

To me privacy is important and this kinda tech bugs me when I know the only purpose of it is to be able to track people, so you can sell them out. Not interested...

This makes me wonder whether some day soon, privacy will come at a premium. For example, while travelling I love finding random little niche places that are untouched. A 'stuff you can't find on Google' tour would be pretty cool... I'd pay for it :D

Yep, all of my stuff is always VPN’d, and I only use Google products if absolutely necessary (let’s be honest: their search engine algorithm is the best, for a reason), and even then, for only as long as absolutely necessary.

Your travel idea seems like a great business idea, but then it’s immediately ironic, so, :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.