Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Have iPhone mirroring on between my iPhone 15 ProMax and my MacBook Pro. Normally during the workday, I have a Focus turned on my iPhone to reduce notifications from a certain app that sends a lot of notifications on my iPhone. But iPhone Mirroring doesn't recognize that Focus being on, and all the notifications that are normally silenced on my iPhone proceed to come through instead on the MacBook, ignoring the Focus settings. And I cannot create a matching Focus on the MacBook because the app doesn't exist on the MacBook, so the Focus creation doesn't recognize it as an App to silence. So, I want to turn off mirroring. But every time I go into the settings on the iPhone and remove the MacBook from the list of devices to mirror to, after about 10 minutes, it adds itself back and starts sending notifications again.

Anyone figure out a way to turn off iPhone Mirroring permenently?

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Have you tried turning off Bluetooth on either your phone or your MacBook?

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Oh, in that case there’s this setting on a Mac.
View attachment 2395557
Yes, thank you. I just stumbled across this a few minutes ago too. That seems to address the reason for my complaint, as I can turn off notifications for the offending app (although, I don't really want them off permanently, just when I have the focus turned on). So this is a stop gap for now.

But the larger question is, why does iOS18 and MacOS keep turning this connection back on when I keep turning it off? Trying to figure out if this is a bug and I should report it, or if there's something else I'm missing. I should be able to tell my devices "No, I don't want you to mirror each other" and they should listen.

Reactions: HuNay

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Yes, thank you. I just stumbled across this a few minutes ago too. That seems to address the reason for my complaint, as I can turn off notifications for the offending app (although, I don't really want them off permanently, just when I have the focus turned on). So this is a stop gap for now.

But the larger question is, why does iOS18 and MacOS keep turning this connection back on when I keep turning it off? Trying to figure out if this is a bug and I should report it, or if there's something else I'm missing. I should be able to tell my devices "No, I don't want you to mirror each other" and they should listen.
No problem. Other than the bug where it keeps turning itself back on for you, it does sound like a weird oversight where no one remembered Focus modes existed.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
No problem. Other than the bug where it keeps turning itself back on for you, it does sound like a weird oversight where no one remembered Focus modes existed.
Exactly. Don't turn yourself back on. And if you are on, respect the same Focus settings from the iPhone when providing notifications to the MacBook. I'm going to log both of these as bugs/feature enhancements.

Reactions: Tagbert and HuNay

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
One of the most useful uses of Focus modes would be to associate them with calendar events.

Except you can't.

Apple often likes to bring in new stuff then forget about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.