Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its updated parental controls, Netflix now includes an option that lets account holders PIN protect individual profiles to help prevent kids from using them.

netflixpin.jpg

Even if you're not a parent or guardian, so long as you're the account holder you can still use the PIN feature to prevent other people in the same household from watching stuff on your Netflix profile and messing up your recommendations.

The easiest way to set up a PIN for your profile is on the Netflix website. The steps below show you how it's done.
  1. Launch a browser and go to www.netflix.com.
  2. Sign into Netflix using your account credentials, then select your profile.
    how-to-disable-autoplay-previews-netflix.jpg

On the main Netflix screen, select your profile avatar and choose the Account option in the menu.
    how-to-add-a-pin-to-netflix-profile.jpg

Under the Profile & Parental Controls section, use the chevron against your profile to reveal further options.
    how-to-add-pin-to-profile-netflix-2.jpg

Click Change next to the Profile Lock option.
    how-to-add-pin-to-profile-netflix-3.jpg

Enter your account password if prompted.
  3. Click the checkbox next to Require a PIN to access [yourname] profile, then enter the four-digit pin that you want to use.
    how-to-add-pin-to-protect-netflix-4.jpg

Click the second checkbox to require the same pin to add new profiles.
  4. Click Save.
When your PIN is set, Netflix will ask for it whenever your profile is selected at the welcome screen. This will happen on all devices, including smart TVs. Note that you won't be asked for a PIN if your profile is the only one that exists on the account.

In addition to PIN protection for profiles, Netflix has added filters for children's accounts that are based on country ratings, as well as options to remove individual series or films by title, and a feature for reviewing each profile's setting using the Profile and Parental Controls hub in the settings menu.

Article Link: How to Protect Your Netflix Profile With a PIN Code

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I don't know why these companies move like their development team is one person working part time. This feature is handy I guess if you're embarrassed about your viewing history, but useless for parenting. The kids profile is way too restrictive for kids of 5+, so ours will pester a parent to use theirs, but since the adult profile now features f-bombs and whatever else in the autoplaying trailers, the parent has to navigate to the show carefully. Thankfully, the developer called in a couple of months back to allow us to disable the autoplaying trailers, but now you can't play the trailers at all, which is a pain when the kids are in bed, and you're trying to browse.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I don't know why these companies move like their development team is one person working part time. This feature is handy I guess if you're embarrassed about your viewing history, but useless for parenting. The kids profile is way too restrictive for kids of 5+, so ours will pester a parent to use theirs, but since the adult profile now features f-bombs and whatever else in the autoplaying trailers, the parent has to navigate to the show carefully. Thankfully, the developer called in a couple of months back to allow us to disable the autoplaying trailers, but now you can't play the trailers at all, which is a pain when the kids are in bed, and you're trying to browse.

You might as well let your kids see the F bombs and get them prepared to live in a cruel world. I never understood why parents continue to pretend their kids don't know how to swear even long after they admit Santa doesn't exist.

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
The real story here is that we can finally turn off autoplay previews (setting found in the profile section):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 9.29.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 9.29.09 PM.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 726
Reactions: arkitect

Sethal

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
You might as well let your kids see the F bombs and get them prepared to live in a cruel world. I never understood why parents continue to pretend their kids don't know how to swear even long after they admit Santa doesn't exist.

Whoa! Spoiler alert, bro.

Reactions: arkitect

LeBilou

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2020
South Africa
Finally ! I've been waiting for this . Very useful when dedicating a Netflix profile for the guest smartTV as I run an AirBnB. I can finally protect settings and privacy for the rest of the family profiles. I hope Disney+ will include the same feature soon !
[automerge]1586596209[/automerge]
If only they implemented 2FA.
For the Netflix account protection I agree, but the pin code is ok for the viewing profile switch.

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
This is much better now as kids can’t watch stuff on my profile by accident. But there still seems to be the option to edit and delete the locked profile without entering the PIN. I haven’t tested and it might fail.

gwenaellp

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
And we are suppose to do what with that news ? send thumps up emojis to Netflix for doing something that should have been done years ago ?
I don't understand how Netflix has allowed young children for years to easily access their parents profiles and potentially watch M or R contents.
They should have apologized when they announced that this option would now be available

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
And we are suppose to do what with that news ? send thumps up emojis to Netflix for doing something that should have been done years ago ?
I don't understand how Netflix has allowed young children for years to easily access their parents profiles and potentially watch M or R contents.
They should have apologized when they announced that this option would now be available

?? Netflix has always had content PIN restrictions, it was just that my kids could pollute my continue watching before this change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.