Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gabriele Inzaghi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Milan
Hi there,
can you please help me to install a Radeon VII on a Mac Pro 5,1 with high sierra?

This is My Mac

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010)
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
2x2,46 6-core Xeon
96GB DDR3
Main HD Samsung SSD 850 EVO
GPU 1 Original ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB
GPU 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 TI running Nvidia web Driver

GPU 2 Powered By Pixal Mod

Before buying a radeon VII I have to solve the following problem:

1- I know that to run a Radeon VII I need to install the latest version of Mojave
2- To upgrade to Mojave you need a metal supported card
3- To update to Mojave you need to take off from your computer any non metal supported card and any Nvidia card not supported
4- If the macpro is running High sierra the Radeon VII doesn't work.

In conclusion: How can I install Mojave if I'm not able to keep my original card? I can't see the monitor...

Can you help me?

ciao
g

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi there,
can you please help me to install a Radeon VII on a Mac Pro 5,1 with high sierra?

This is My Mac

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010)
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
2x2,46 6-core Xeon
96GB DDR3
Main HD Samsung SSD 850 EVO
GPU 1 Original ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB
GPU 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 TI running Nvidia web Driver

GPU 2 Powered By Pixal Mod

Before buying a radeon VII I have to solve the following problem:

1- I know that to run a Radeon VII I need to install the latest version of Mojave
2- To upgrade to Mojave you need a metal supported card
3- To update to Mojave you need to take off from your computer any non metal supported card and any Nvidia card not supported
4- If the macpro is running High sierra the Radeon VII doesn't work.

In conclusion: How can I install Mojave if I'm not able to keep my original card? I can't see the monitor...

Can you help me?

ciao
g
There are few methods

e.g.

1) via VM onto a physical hard drive, then swap card, and boot natively into it

2) Install Mojave with 1080Ti, then wait long enough to make sure the installation is completed, then force shutdown, and swap card to boot to Mojave

3) Boot to USB Mojave installer with Radeon VII, then install it

Option 1 is very safe, but complicated.

Option 2 is very easy, but not safe (force shutdown required and you can't see anything during installation).

Option 3 should be the most reasonable way to do it.

Last edited:

Gabriele Inzaghi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Milan
There are few methods

e.g.

2) Install Mojave with 1080Ti, then wait long enough to make sure the installation is completed, then force shutdown, and swap card to boot to Mojave

Option 2 is very easy, but not safe (force shutdown required and you can't see anything during installation).

Thank you h9826790

Kantgittrite

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2024
There are few methods

e.g.

I like your option 3 but the "then install it" meaning the gpu or os? And to boot to USB Mojave installer with Radeon but you can't see the screen to see whats going on

I've tried #2 a couple of times with no success. Trying to be there to force shutdown

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I like your option 3 but the "then install it" meaning the gpu or os? And to boot to USB Mojave installer with Radeon but you can't see the screen to see whats going on

I've tried #2 a couple of times with no success. Trying to be there to force shutdown
As long as you created the installer correctly with the latest version of Mojave. And there is no other OS on any hard drive. The cMP will boot to the USB installer automatically (no boot screen required).

And once the Mojave installer is loaded, it does contain Radeon VII's GPU driver, therefore, the card will display.

Anyway, that post was long time ago. Now we can make the Radeon VII display boot screen on the cMP.

If you want to flash your cMP to enable Radeon VII's boot screen, I highly suggest you read through that entire thread before you actually do it. It's not fun if you brick your cMP due to careless of misunderstanding of how to apply that correctly.

Kantgittrite

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2024
WAAATT!!! This is so cool!! Your images are so clear. Thank you very much for the detailed info with no confusion.

The #5 RomDump is no good, it can't be opened. Is there another one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.