Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I recently upgraded my 2018 iPad Pro, to an M4 iPad Pro.

This was for the AI features that are coming with iPadOS 18.

I bought a Smart Folio, as I only use my tablet in tablet mode (I have MacBooks.)

But, I also bought an Apple Pencil, and to be honest, I haven’t even used it.

What was the last Apple product you bought, “just because?”

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I can't say that I've ever bought equipment that I didn't need. I will occasionally buy a game to show support for the developers, especially if they're new to Mac. Mostly, I leave that kind of decision to food.

Reactions: Chuckeee and assoc

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Primarily I buy things I want and often just because. I don't have to have a purpose, a need or a reason to own something other than "I want that." In most cases, what I want also serves what I need. Win/win.

That said, I'm not rich. So, unlike where OP seems to be going with this thread topic, when I plunk down my money it's usually not for a NEW Apple product. My last 'just because' Apple purchase was an iPhone 6 Plus off eBay (unlocked). Just because I wanted to replace the iPhone 6 Plus I traded in to my carrier in 2015.

I'm patient. Even if it takes me years sometimes, I ultimately get what I want.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Primarily I buy things I want and often just because. I don't have to have a purpose, a need or a reason to own something other than "I want that." In most cases, what I want also serves what I need. Win/win.

That said, I'm not rich. So, unlike where OP seems to be going with this thread topic, when I plunk down my money it's usually not for a NEW Apple product. My last 'just because' Apple purchase was an iPhone 6 Plus off eBay (unlocked). Just because I wanted to replace the iPhone 6 Plus I traded in to my carrier in 2015.

I'm patient. Even if it takes me years sometimes, I ultimately get what I want.
I think Apple Vision is a perfect case of “just because.”

I personally have zero interest in it, so they won’t get my money on that device.

Reactions: eyoungren

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Never. I don't have enough disposable income to drop a dime on whatever catches my fancy. Macs/PCs are just tools to me. Android phone/iPhone, again just tools. I'm a pragmatic guy...it's in my bean counter blood.😉 I use an android phone because its too much of a hassle to jailbreak an iPhone on account Apple will break the jailbreak with subsequent updates.😑 I just want a firewall.😩

The last time I spent money on impulse was when I bought a can of fancy feast cat food to lure a local stray. The bean counter in me gave me an earful as a empty tuna tin would have been just as effective and cheaper too.😐

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I'm always looking for opportunities to adopt new Apple technologies. Literally every month I'll buy at least some new bit of Apple kit.
If you are buying something new from Apple every month and it is not an accessory, what are you buying? They don't have that many products.

Like others have said I never buy "just because". It needs to serve a purpose and benefit me. I would say it is close to cult level if you are buying just because it is Apple.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
If you are buying something new from Apple every month and it is not an accessory, what are you buying? They don't have that many products.

Like others have said I never buy "just because". It needs to serve a purpose and benefit me. I would say it is close to cult level if you are buying just because it is Apple.

There's more than enough variants of iPads, iPhones, etc. to buy something new every month. Sometimes I'll buy older device refurbs to play around with. My most recent was an old iPhone 13 Mini in product red. Very cool option as a secondary ultra-portable device.

My home is a bit like an Apple storage warehouse I admit. :D

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
There's more than enough variants of iPads, iPhones, etc. to buy something new every month. Sometimes I'll buy older device refurbs to play around with. My most recent was an old iPhone 13 Mini in product red. Very cool option as a secondary ultra-portable device.

My home is a bit like an Apple storage warehouse I admit. :D
So are you really adopting "new" Apple technologies if you are buying older devices? Does sound a little more fanboy then someone actually looking to improve a workflow. You would actually never improve your workflow if you were constantly adding or changing it on a monthly basis.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I don't know if I would describe my motive for buying any Apple product as just because, but I do upgrade more often than many people, simply because I like having newer devices. It's not that there's no reason to upgrade: my phone's battery is not holding a charge like it used to, I know a newer phone will have more features and run faster, etc. There's motive to get a new device, but a part of it is also admittedly "I want the latest and greatest".

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I don't know if I would describe my motive for buying any Apple product as just because, but I do upgrade more often than many people, simply because I like having newer devices. It's not that there's no reason to upgrade: my phone's battery is not holding a charge like it used to, I know a newer phone will have more features and run faster, etc. There's motive to get a new device, but a part of it is also admittedly "I want the latest and greatest".
Interestingly, my 14 Pro Max is not holding as good a charge as it used to, and it’s still at 93%.

It’s taking longer to charge, also.

I’m wondering if that’s because it’s become warm over here in the UK?

Reactions: bousozoku

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm not an impulse buyer and typically use devices for the long haul, although the $500 off sale on the 16" M3 Pro is really tempting. I'm still using a 2019 16" Intel that I've had since 2019.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
So are you really adopting "new" Apple technologies if you are buying older devices? Does sound a little more fanboy then someone actually looking to improve a workflow. You would actually never improve your workflow if you were constantly adding or changing it on a monthly basis.

I like playing with old tech too. I never tried the iPhone 13 Mini before, so thought I'd give the experience a shot.

If you don't try everything you'll never which are the best Apple products to enhance your overall productivity.

All the above said, my main devices right now are the new iPads Pros and the iPad Air. I use the Air for entertainment, the 11" iPad Pro for portable workflows, and the 13" iPad Pro is my maxxed out super computer. My iPhone 15 Pro Max is an incredible workhorse too, and I can do almost everything with it when I'm travelling sans iPads Pros.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not an impulse buyer and typically use devices for the long haul, although the $500 off sale on the 16" M3 Pro is really tempting. I'm still using a 2019 16" Intel that I've had since 2019.
This reply typed in on an Early 2009 MacPro 4,1 (upgraded to 5,1 and running MacOS 12.7.5) that I've had since April 2020. Purchased for $237.60.

I put Monterey on it last Sunday.

;)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This reply typed in on an Early 2009 MacPro 4,1 (upgraded to 5,1 and running MacOS 12.7.5) that I've had since April 2020. Purchased for $237.60.

I put Monterey on it last Sunday.

;)
Those old 5,1s easily could've lasted someone a decade if purchased new in 2009. I still use my 5,1 occasionally with EyeTV to receive over-the-air TV broadcasts (I tried EyeTV 4, it was more buggy than the old 32-bit version) but have no other use for it currently.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Those old 5,1s easily could've lasted someone a decade if purchased new in 2009. I still use my 5,1 occasionally with EyeTV to receive over-the-air TV broadcasts (I tried EyeTV 4, it was more buggy than the old 32-bit version) but have no other use for it currently.
Mine is my primary desktop. I have two other 2009 era Macs (Mac Minis) that I use when I'm in the garage, but they get shut down from late May to late September (Phoenix heat). Going to update them when it's time to turn them back on.

There are only two newer Macs, a 2011 MBA (which remains on High Sierra) and a 2015 MBP I bought my wife a couple months ago. So, that one isn't mine.

There is a 2023 M2 MBP in the house, but that's also not mine - work Mac.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I think the only time I’ve purchased an apple product “just because” would be the microfiber cloth lol I was curious about it and knew better but I was browsing around and figured it’s cheap enough to take a chance to satisfy my own curiosity. It ended up being something I truly like using so it was a win-win.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Interestingly, my 14 Pro Max is not holding as good a charge as it used to, and it’s still at 93%.

It’s taking longer to charge, also.

I’m wondering if that’s because it’s become warm over here in the UK?
At either end of the temperature range, the battery could be depleted more quickly, but I'd have my doubts about a typical UK summer being that hot. It's been 42 degrees C or so here and I've not had a problem.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think I’ve ever impulse bought an Apple product. I buy an iPhone every 2 to 3 years and have bought previous years models if I’ve not seen the benefit of getting a current phone. My Apple Watch is approaching 5 years old (Series 5 bought October 2019). I’ll probably replace both this year. My iPad is an Air 4th gen so a few years old too. I’m not a tech enthusiast though so tend to not focus my money on tech when I enjoy other things like holidays and activities with my kids etc.

mikedis

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
My latest "Just because" was a Series 9 45mm Pink Aluminum. I like pink, I wanted to try a new watch, so I found one new on eBay for a steal at $215.

That said, I don't have a lot of impulse buys when I don't need it. The watch was an investment into my collection, since the rest of them are all S5-7 Stainless models. I didn't have an aluminum model and pink is my favorite color.

My iPhone 12's battery is degraded enough where I should replace it, and with all the AI stuff on the new iPhones coming, it's tempting to upgrade, but that's a pretty hefty investment into new kit, so I'll probably spend the $89 or however much it is to replace the battery only when it gets to unbearably short battery life.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think the last thing I bought on a whim was an Apple TV (the first 4K model, probably 5ish years ago now). I got it because it was a great deal used and I knew I could flip it for a profit if it didn't suit my needs. I think I had it for a week and ended up making a 50% profit on it.

I think it's wasteful to buy stuff I don't have a real need for (or, at least a potential use for, in the case of the Apple TV), both in terms of money and in terms of eventual e-waste.

Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.