Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's HomePod is being credited for saving a family in Colorado, alerting them to a house fire that was accidentally set by the family dog.

HomePod-2-and-Mini-feature-2.jpg

On June 26th, the Colorado Springs Fire Department received a call about a house fire, and shared the details and a video on Facebook. The homeowners were alerted to the fire by their HomePod, which woke them up in the early hours of the morning.

The Colorado Springs Fire Department claims the homeowners received a "high heat" notification from the HomePod, which alerted them to the fire, but the HomePod doesn't have a feature for sending alerts about high temperatures.

Instead, the HomePod has Sound Recognition, an option that is able to detect the sound of a fire alarm and send an alert. It's likely that the HomePod used Sound Recognition to detect the fire, and proceeded to send an alert to the homeowners to let them know what was going on. It is unclear why the family did not hear the fire alarm that the HomePod must have detected.

Sound Recognition on HomePod sends an alert to connected iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches, but does not provide an audio notification. Sound Recognition can be turned on in the Home app by opening up the settings, going to Safety and Security, and toggling on Smoke and CO Alarm under Sound Recognition.

The fire started because the family's dog accidentally turned on the stove. The homeowners had several boxes on the stovetop, and when the dog got up on its hind legs to look at them, the stove knob was turned, activating the burner. The video shows the fire starting shortly after the dog hit the knob.

The homeowners were able to extinguish the fire before the fire department arrived, and there were no injuries aside from treatment for smoke inhalation.

Article Link: HomePod Saves Family's Life After Dog Starts Kitchen Fire

JuicyGoomba

macrumors regular
May 20, 2021
If a dog is capable of turning on and igniting a stove, then questions need to be asked about the owners themselves more than anything.

Unless safety laws are drastically different in that country, then it would be physically impossible for the dog to do this with any cooker released in the last 10-15 years or more.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
they keep boxes on the stove ...
the dog "accidentally" turns the knob ...
apparently the fire alarm (I guess smoke detector) went off ...
and the HomePod notifies the owners ...
there's a video of the whole thing ...

If this were published on April 1, I'd believe it ;)

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
The Colorado Springs Fire Department claims the homeowners received a "high heat" notification from the HomePod, which alerted them to the fire, but the HomePod doesn't have a feature for sending alerts about high temperatures.
Though I don't think it's a publicly documented feature, it does seem feasible to me that the newer HomePods which have temperature sensors built in, might notify you if the temperature they're sensing is way too high, even if it's just as a "this might break your HomePod" thing.

Wasp14

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2023
If a dog is capable of turning on and igniting a stove, then questions need to be asked about the owners themselves more than anything.

Unless safety laws are drastically different in that country, then it would be physically impossible for the dog to do this with any cooker released in the last 10-15 years or more.
I believe there’s a video out there of how this happened and it’s pretty crazy how the dog turns the stove on. Happens within seconds.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Though I don't think it's a publicly documented feature, it does seem feasible to me that the newer HomePods which have temperature sensors built in, might notify you if the temperature they're sensing is way too high, even if it's just as a "this might break your HomePod" thing.

That makes sense.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Indeed, that’s the only thing I can think of but would love some confirmation it can actually do that?

In Australia the law is you need interconnected smoke detectors and there’s one inside each bedroom so it’s less of an issue but if you’re out the HomePod can alert me to a noise inside. Would love to know if high heat does the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.