Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in iOS 17 has introduced a number of changes across its stock apps, including the Weather app. With the update, there are some minor changes to the functionality and design of the app.

ios-17-weather-app-moon.jpg

Previous Day's Weather

The biggest update is an option to see yesterday's weather in the 10-day forecast. In iOS 16, you can only view the current day and the next 10 days, but in iOS 17, you can view current day, the next 10 days, and the weather from the previous day.

ios-17-yesterday-weather.jpg

10-day forecasts show the chance of rain each day and offer a "daily summary" instead of a forecast.

Interface Tweaks

The main Weather interface has been updated with large "My Location" text for the weather forecast in at your current location, with the city underneath. In iOS 16, it simply said the city, which could be confusing when navigating through multiple saved cities.

Module Changes

Some of the weather modules have been relocated, with rain and hourly forecasts shown first. News and alerts are shown lower in the app, and there is a new "Averages" weather module that displays how the current temperature deviates from the historical average on that day. Apple has also increased the size of the wind speed module, showing information on gust speed, a daily comparison, and a wind scale.

ios-17-weather-averages.jpg

Moon Module

Apple has added a moon module that shows the current status of the moon, the time until the next full moon, moonset and moonrise times, and a moon calendar.

ios-17-moon-position.jpg

Daily Comparisons

Daily comparisons are included for UV index, humidity, the "Feels Like" index, and visibility, and there are options to change units for wind speed, precipitation, pressure, and distance.

Data Updates

Apple does not appear to have made any changes to the data that is used for the Weather app, despite complaints of its inaccuracy following the incorporation of the Dark Sky app.

Read More

More information on all of the new features in the iOS 17 update can be found in our iOS 17 roundup.

Article Link: Here's What's New in the iOS 17 Weather App

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Hope they fix the weather app data not loading issue 🤣

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The biggest update is an option to see yesterday's weather in the 10-day forecast. In iOS 16, you can only view the current day and the next 10 days, but in iOS 17, you can view current day, the next 10 days, and the weather from the previous day.
really? for those who sleep all day and missed out on an entire day? I fail to understand the benefit of that so please educate me

rickpdx

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010

Apple in iOS 17 has introduced a number of changes across its stock apps, including the Weather app. With the update, there are some minor changes to the functionality and design of the app.

10-day forecasts show the chance of rain each day and offer a "daily summary" instead of a forecast.

The main Weather interface has been updated with large "My Location" text for the weather forecast in at your current location, with the city underneath. In iOS 16, it simply said the city, which could be confusing when navigating through multiple saved cities.

Some of the weather modules have been relocated, with rain and hourly forecasts shown first. News and alerts are shown lower in the app, and there is a new "Averages" weather module that displays how the current temperature deviates from the historical average on that day.

Apple has added a moon module that shows the current status of the moon, the time until the next full moon, moonset and moonrise times, and a moon calendar, plus the wind speed module is a larger size that shows information on gust speed at a glance. The wind module also displays a daily comparison and a wind scale.

ios-17-moon-position.jpg

Daily comparisons are included for UV index, humidity, the "Feels Like" index, and visibility, and there are options to change units for wind speed, precipitation, pressure, and distance.

Apple does not appear to have made any changes to the data that is used for the Weather app, despite complaints of its inaccuracy following the incorporation of the Dark Sky app.

Some of the weather modules have been relocated, with rain and hourly forecasts shown first. News and alerts are shown lower in the app, and there is a new "Averages" weather module that displays how the current temperature deviates from the historical average on that day.

Apple has added a moon module that shows the current status of the moon, the time until the next full moon, moonset and moonrise times, and a moon calendar, plus the wind speed module is a larger size that shows information on gust speed at a glance. The wind module also displays a daily comparison and a wind scale.

ios-17-moon-position.jpg

I won't be really happy with it until they bring back Dark Sky's ability to show historical weather for any date and location going back many years. Absolutely no reason to have removed that.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
It’s there an option to place the current location screen second? I hate that it can only be placed as default screen when launching the app since most times in my experience is inaccurate and shows a location that is far from where I am.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Do weather animations have sound in iOS 17. For example, wind when it's windy, rain when it's raining, tunder when there's thunder,...birds when it's sunny, crickets when it's hot...

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
really? for those who sleep all day and missed out on an entire day? I fail to understand the benefit of that so please educate me
I would find that useful TBH. It would better see or help predict specific trends for surfing or kitesurfing. Wind prediction can be very off so being able to see what they predicted yesterday and what actually occurred would be nice.

Understanding how the over, or under predicted wind, from a low pressure or thermals due to temps would be welcome.

As of now Accuweather over predicts southerly winds and Weather Channel under predicts them. Both are widely off when it comes to north or west wind gusts behind a front. Matching that to the low that moved through or the air temp vs water temp for thermal behavior would be a big help.

Being able to see the pressure differential in a low that moved through and how the wind reacted would go a long way in prediction models.

Would this mean anything for most people. Probably not, but it would for me and anyone who likes to surf, kitesurf etc and actually does their own data analysis vs looking at Surfline.

andrewfaith

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
It would be nice if it was just accurate for my country (Australia). It says it takes weather from the BoM, but is always out some ways between what the BoM actually says and what the app says.

I use an app that's made here, but doesn't do world weather.

Reactions: 4odomi

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Very happy they added the moon components! In typically Apple fashion though, there is much information left out which makes iOS 18, 19, 20 etc. seemingly worthwhile.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
FINALLY the previous day. Now I just want a score card. We said it would rain for 10 hours in a row with a 80% probability but it didnt rain at all...F.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.