Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the refreshed iPad Air and iPad Pro models, Apple introduced a new "Apple Pencil Pro." No Apple Pencil options have been discontinued, which means there are now four total Apple Pencils to choose from.

Apple-Pencil-Pro.jpeg

While the updated iPad Pro and iPad Air are compatible with the Apple Pencil Pro and the USB-C Apple Pencil, they do not work with the Apple Pencil 2. Older iPads are also not able to work with the Apple Pencil Pro.

Apple Pencil Pro

• M4 iPad Pro
  • M2 iPad Air
Apple Pencil USB-C

• M4 iPad Pro
  • M2 iPad Air
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (4th gen and later)
  • 11-inch iPad Pro (1st gen and later)
  • iPad Air (4th and 5th gen)
  • iPad mini (6th gen)
Apple Pencil 2

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen)
  • 11-inch iPad Pro (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen)
  • iPad Air (4th and 5th gen)
  • iPad mini (6th gen)
Apple Pencil 1

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st and 2nd gen)
  • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
  • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
  • iPad Air (3rd gen)
  • iPad mini (5th gen)
  • iPad (6th gen and later)
The Apple Pencil Pro and the Apple Pencil 2 are both priced at $129, while the Apple Pencil 1 is priced at $99 and the Apple Pencil USB-C is $79.

Compared to older Apple Pencil models, the Apple Pencil Pro supports squeeze gestures, roll gestures, haptic feedback, and Find My.

Article Link: Here's the Apple Pencil Lineup With New Pro Model

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

dpfenninger

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2005
Ugh...I'm planning on finally upgrading from my 2018 11" iPad Pro to the 13" M2 iPad Air, but my Apple Pencil 2 won't work with the newer iPad and I'll need to also get an Apple Pencil Pro? So my $800 new iPad just became a $930 iPad?

Not cool.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
What a disaster. Hate to be “that guy” but this is the very thing Steve was against when he came back. The worst thing you can do is confuse the heck out of your customer.
They kind of fixed the ipad lineup… but did the opposite with the pencil lineup.

A regular consumer going to buy Apple Pencil is just going to think what the….

They should have a regular and a Pro… and stop.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
What a disaster. Hate to be “that guy” but this is the very thing Steve was against when he came back. The worst thing you can do is confuse the heck out of your customer.
Apple backed themselves into a design corner with the Apple Pencil 2. They needed to move the magnets to accommodate the landscape camera. In time the Apple Pencil 1 and 2 will be gone. They are mostly for legacy devices. It will just be the Apple Pencil USB-C and Apple Pencil Pro (much closer to the Steve Jobs model).

The keyboard situation is still confusing though.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Am I reading this correctly, my current Apple Pencil 2 is not support on the M4 iPad Pro? Why Apple Why?
Yeah and they were really shady in the keynote. They showed this slide before any new accessories were announced, making it seem like the existing pencil would work with the new model. Will Apple recycle the pencil or do they assume you’ll try and sell it or throw it away?
IMG_1432.jpeg

MacMikePro

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
As for the people asking “why” obviously Apple had to move the magnets and the charging conductor to accommodate the new landscape camera. As annoying as it is, I will 100% take a landscape FaceID camera if it causes me to have to sell my Apple Pencil 2 and buy a new one, it’s honestly not that big of a deal. But I do agree, that the pencil lineup looks like a total mess right now, eventually they’ll stop selling the 1 and 2 and that’ll make it a bit cleaner and easier.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
As for the people asking “why” obviously Apple had to move the magnets and the charging conductor to accommodate the new landscape camera. As annoying as it is, I will 100% take a landscape FaceID camera if it causes me to have to sell my Apple Pencil 2 and buy a new one, it’s honestly not that big of a deal. But I do agree, that the pencil lineup looks like a total mess right now, eventually they’ll stop selling the 1 and 2 and that’ll make it a bit cleaner and easier.
They should allow you to trade in your pencil 2 for the new pencil at a discounted price. Especially since there is no way to charge the pencil 2 with the new iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.