Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google will refresh its product lineup this year in the middle of August rather than its usual October timing, which means its latest flagship Pixel smartphones will debut ahead of Apple's annual iPhone upgrade cycle for the first time.

google-pixel-announcements.jpg
Google Pixel 8 series

Google last week began sending out media invitations to an August 13 hardware event that will "showcase the base of Google AI, Android software and the Pixel portfolio of devices." Google typically holds its annual Made by Google event in early October to unveil its latest Pixel phones, smartwatches, and Nest-branded devices.

Rumors indicate Google will launch three devices in its forthcoming Pixel 9 lineup, with a new larger 6.2-inch Pixel 9 Pro XL device joining the regular Pixel 9 and Pixel 9 Pro. Leaks suggest the Pixel 9 Pro will have a triple rear camera setup. Google is also expected to launch Android 15 touting Gemini AI enhancements and other services.

Alongside new phones, Google is expected to release a Pixel Fold 2 tablet, a Pixel Watch 3 series, and new Pixel earbuds, all of which will compete with Apple devices. The decision to bring forward the hardware upgrades was likely made with one eye on Apple's hardware launches in September, when the iPhone 16 and Apple Watch Series 9 are expected to be revealed alongside iOS 18 with Apple Intelligence.

Article Link: Google to Unveil Pixel 9 Phones Next Month Ahead of iPhone 16 Launch

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
The Pixel line is the only one I'd consider after the iPhone. Times I've played with the devices they've always been fast and good hardware quality.

Samsung's just... icky in comparison. No idea why anyone would buy any Samsung over a Pixel.
Same. iPhone since 2007. The pixel 7a I got my partner makes me tempted to switch. The price and features are very hard to beat.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
The Pixel line is the only one I'd consider after the iPhone. Times I've played with the devices they've always been fast and good hardware quality.

Samsung's just... icky in comparison. No idea why anyone would buy any Samsung over a Pixel.

My wife is a long-time Android user and she won't even consider a phone other than the Pixel. She upgraded to an 8 from a Pixel 2, and it's a fantastic phone.

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
Same. iPhone since 2007. The pixel 7a I got my partner makes me tempted to switch. The price and features are very hard to beat.

I used a Pixel 7A when I was travelling for a bit last year for security reasons (less likely to get done over for it).

The thing was a complete liability. Crap camera, eSIM problems, some stuff stopped working after a couple of days offline, bt crapped out constantly, serious problems with battery life on and off. Email sync issues. Also no compass apps worked on the damn thing properly - calibration was completely off.

Never again will I go near one. Went straight back to my 13 Pro and bought a 15 Pro almost immediately when it came out. Been to less dangerous places this year with the 15 Pro and ZERO problems with it.

Here's a crop of a non-zoomed photo it took in daylight. Utter and total garbage.

1719836222852.png

Fortunately I had an actual camera with me!!

snaps840

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
"...the iPhone 16 and Apple Watch Series 9 are expected to be revealed alongside iOS 18 with Apple Intelligence."

I was under the impression Apple would be announcing Watch Series X in September? Isn't the 9 the current version?

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
I used a Pixel 7A when I was travelling for a bit last year for security reasons (less likely to get done over for it).

The thing was a complete liability. Crap camera, eSIM problems, some stuff stopped working after a couple of days offline, bt crapped out constantly, serious problems with battery life on and off. Email sync issues. Also no compass apps worked on the damn thing properly - calibration was completely off.

Never again will I go near one. Went straight back to my 13 Pro and bought a 15 Pro almost immediately when it came out. Been to less dangerous places this year with the 15 Pro and ZERO problems with it.

Here's a crop of a non-zoomed photo it took in daylight. Utter and total garbage.

View attachment 2393644

Just a friendly reminder, the Pixel 7A can be had for $350-$400. It's not supposed to compete with an iPhone 13/14/15/ Pro cameras, it never will. As for all the software issues, sounds like you got a lemon. If you had an 8 Pro or even a 7 Pro I'm sure that picture would have turned out just fine.

JitteryJimmy

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
This is a smart move by Google. By releasing a month earlier than Apple and avoiding alignment with Samsung, Pixel will get an exclusive full month of customer focus. The Pixel 8 series has been a sales dud, so shortening its time on the market and discounting it heavily now for back-to-school is also a benefit.

iMac The Knife

macrumors regular
May 22, 2024
🇺🇸
I have a Pixel 7 as a backup to my OnePlus Open. Pixels are great phones and they have my favorite flavor of Android. The Pixel Fold is a beautifully designed foldable, but it was too heavy for my liking and it also has a garbage cellular modem as well. I'm hoping the Pixel Fold 2 (or whatever the call it) is much lighter. From what I have read, it should have a better modem, which is good.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
Just a friendly reminder, the Pixel 7A can be had for $350-$400. It's not supposed to compete with an iPhone 13/14/15/ Pro cameras, it never will. As for all the software issues, sounds like you got a lemon. If you had an 8 Pro or even a 7 Pro I'm sure that picture would have turned out just fine.

The regular 8 is fine. My wife's 8 takes better photos on the regular than my 13 Pro.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

Pixel has best camera and app integration so if that's your primary objective, Pixel is the right move.

Besides that, Samsung has Pixel's beat in terms of hardware quality, app extras, performance, etc. They are also doing a better job with updates lately too. I ran a Pixel 8 Pro side-by-side with S23+ and found the former choppy/laggy at times with less than optimal mobile and wifi signal strength. Now running a 24+ which is another set of steps ahead of Pixel performance.

The Tensor chip remains a marketing-hyped lackluster yawner platform (glorified Exynos chip). Ironically, Samsung still uses Snapdragon "SD3" on all S24 Ultra and US model 24+ and 24's. They use newer "non-Tensor" Exynos on international S24+ and S24 models and while performance has improved, still not to the same level as Snapdragon.

Tensor is not on my radar screen until they start making TSMC ones in Pixel 10 and beyond. I generally never purchase a 1st gen processor platform so probably won't consider Pixel until 11 comes out.

Reactions: HouseLannister

iMac The Knife

macrumors regular
May 22, 2024
🇺🇸

View attachment 2393644

I wouldn't expect much from a low tier phone, regardless of the company that is selling it.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
Imagine wanting a Pixel so that you can pay Google to take all your data and make money off you while also aiding a pretty evil company. Victims!

I consider all publicly-traded companies as evil, so take your pick. Google is no better or worse than the others, including Apple.

That said, Apple is teaming up with ChatGPT and I put them on the Facebook level of evil, or even worse, so...

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
I consider all publicly-traded companies as evil, so take your pick. Google is no better or worse than the others, including Apple.

That said, Apple is teaming up with ChatGPT and I put them on the Facebook level of evil, or even worse, so...
Check my signature. I’m not in complete disagreement BUT yes there is better and worse, Google is FAR worse!

To argue otherwise is quite disingenuous but yes agreed on the ChatGPT.

I put Google at the top and Meta next and GPT close behind.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
A whole month earlier for Google to overpromise and under-deliver with their AI features before Apple steals their thunder? Honestly, probably a great business move. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.