Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today began letting Android customers know that it will soon launch a promised Android-based Find My Device network, reports 9to5Google. Google announced the upcoming Find My feature last year, but it has not yet debuted because Apple and Google were working to develop a cross-platform solution for unwanted tracking alerts.

AirTag-and-iPhone-Notification-Feature.jpg

Code in iOS 17.5 suggests that Apple is adding support for discovering nearby third-party item trackers and alerting iPhone owners when one has been located. "You can disable this item and stop it from sharing its location with the owner. To do this, follow the instructions provided on a website by the manufacturer of this item," reads some of the code.

With Apple likely planning to add alerts for third-party trackers in iOS 17.5, Google is clear to launch its new Find My Device network, which will allow Android smartphones to be used to locate lost phones, Bluetooth trackers, headphones, and other accessories.

Apple and Google first announced plans for an industry tracker specification in May 2023, with the aim of putting an end to the misuse of Bluetooth item trackers for tracking individuals. Both companies have been working to implement AirTag-style tracking alerts so people will know when a tracker of any kind is nearby.

After Apple launched the Find My network alongside AirTags, there were countless news stories and reports of criminals using AirTags for stalking purposes, leading Apple to make several changes to unwanted tracker alerts. iPhones were initially able to identify nearby AirTags and alert customers if they were being used for stalking purposes, but Android devices could not. Apple remedied this with a Tracker Detect app for Android, but the partnership with Google will allow for a more permanent and reliable solution that will work regardless of device.

Google says that the Find My Device network will let Android users find their devices even when offline, and it will work with compatible Fast Pair accessories as well as Android-based electronics. Google plans to launch the network early next week.

Article Link: Google to Launch Android Find My Network After Apple Adds Third-Party Tracker Alerts to iPhone

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Are people this bad at keeping track of their stuff? The Find My stuff world seems like an unnecessarily large industry.
Its so Android users will now know if someone is stalking them with the stupid AirTag.

Can any company develop these tools, or is this another case of Google paying Apple for the "privilege" of being able to build this functionality?
Google didn't pay anything, Apple ran to them because of the bad press regarding stalkers with AirTags.

Google has waited a year for apples crappy devs to finally give the go ahead, remember apple released some awful AirTag alert app on android and expected that to be enough to protect people.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Are people this bad at keeping track of their stuff? The Find My stuff world seems like an unnecessarily large industry.
I think half of these AirTag purchases fall under the category of "stocking stuffers" Consumers don't really need these but they are cheap, small, always on sale and easy to gift to anyone because everyone has something material that they are afraid of losing.

@Brett

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2016
Its so Android users will now know if someone is stalking them with the stupid AirTag.

Google didn't pay anything, Apple ran to them because of the bad press regarding stalkers with AirTags.

Google has waited a year for apples crappy devs to finally give the go ahead, remember apple released some awful AirTag alert app on android and expected that to be enough to protect people.
Apple did not run to them They created an app for tracking AirTags. And you need to get your facts right they were waiting on someone else to approve the standard. Also people blaming Apple for Google being late to the party is a cop out. No one is talking about Samsung and their trackers. People just love to bash Apple.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
I wonder if Google finally got tired of Apple feet dragging and said we are launching it you either release it or we are going to completely blame you for refusing to add it in and show publicly how easy iOS could turn it on. Plus make Apple current Anti trust issues worse by showing how difficult it is for a 3rd party to do tracking of trackers.

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
Don't the same problem exists with Samsung SmartTags the other way around? How are iPhone users protected from SmartTags? Just wondering why Samsung is not involved in this process.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021

The answer to that question is YES some people like my self really are that bad. Air tags and before that tiles made my life a lot easier just trying to find my car keys. No more trying to look all threwout the house were I set them down. Helps tell me I left them in the car which is a regular thing. Helps when my daughter took them off the counter and walked around the house with them and then dropped them or if they fall behind my desk.

I want a full tracker on my wallet as again an item I regularly misplace. Right now I just have the apple wallet that tells me the last time it saw it.

Another great use of the airtags is throwing them in suit cases when you travel and in my case I toss a tracker in the stroller when my family went to Disney land as yes the staff members will move your stroller

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Probably from people around here who can't fathom the idea of Apple collaborating with their "enemies", when it probably happens way more often in reality than they think
It has nothing to do with the enemy. This is useful without forcing the OS to behave/look like others or break the ecosystem.

I like the idea. I don’t use anything google related so it’s useless to me but should I lose my mind, good to know it is there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.