Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is reportedly scrapping continuous scrolling of search results on desktop and mobile, with the company returning to the old method of dividing results into several pages (via The Verge).

Google-Logo-Feature-Slack.jpg

Google introduced continuous scrolling on mobile and desktop in 2021 and 2022, respectively. The change was reminiscent of a social media feed, although Google's version was never quite the "infinite scroll" that social network users will be familiar with. Search has typically returned the equivalent of six pages of results in a single scroll, before offering users a "More results" button that keeps the scroll going.

Google originally claimed that continuous scroll would make browsing results quicker and easier, although some users likely missed how the old pagination system often acted as a natural breaker that allowed them to consider whether they had all the information they needed.

A Google spokesperson reportedly told Search Engine Land that continuous scroll would be removed from desktop search results from June 25, while the feature will be removed from mobile results "in the coming months." Google said that the change is needed to allow it to serve search results faster, instead of automatically loading results that users haven't explicitly requested.

Article Link: Google Scraps Continuous Scrolling in Search Results

Kirkster

Contributor
Jan 19, 2004
Soon the EU will impose some law that will restrict endless scrolling because it is causing addiction to teenagers anyway. Only half kidding
Not even half…. The EU 🙄. Won’t affect me in the least since I don’t “Google”. If only they would break off youboob I would be Google free….

Reactions: NetMage

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Switched to Kagi and don't see myself going back. Paying for search feels ridiculous, but since it's something we use daily maybe we should pay for it.

So many things I love about it, but near the top of the list is the ease of omitting certain sites from results (permanently).

Just getting Pinterest garbage out of my life has been worth it alone

That site should be fined for littering
Complete garbage just dumped all over the web

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
So many things I love about it, but near the top of the list is the ease of omitting certain sites from results (permanently).

Just getting Pinterest garbage out of my life has been worth it alone

That site should be fined for littering
Complete garbage just dumped all over the web

It's Fandom for me. That website makes my skin crawl.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I don’t think I’ve ever found any useful information on the 3rd page or more of results.

I rarely find useful information on the 2nd page.

And more often than not, I don’t find any useful information at all on any page using Google. It may be “the best” but it’s still virtually useless.

Reactions: TMax

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I don’t think I’ve ever found any useful information on the 3rd page or more of results.

I rarely find useful information on the 2nd page.

And more often than not, I don’t find any useful information at all on any page using Google. It may be “the best” but it’s still virtually useless.

Summary:

Google is virtually useless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.