Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I’ve been getting this message on my iPhone when I’m connected to my home wifi.. I don’t get it when I’m on cellular. I also don’t get it on my macs. I believe it might be from a certain website.. that certain website was visited on my iPad and now i get that message on my iPad as well… is this a malware or virus issue That’s somehow linked to when I’m on my WiFi. It’s very annoying

our systems have detected unusual traffic fill in the recapture.​

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I’ve been getting this message on my iPhone when I’m connected to my home wifi.. I don’t get it when I’m on cellular. I also don’t get it on my macs. I believe it might be from a certain website.. that certain website was visited on my iPad and now i get that message on my iPad as well… is this a malware or virus issue That’s somehow linked to when I’m on my WiFi. It’s very annoying

our systems have detected unusual traffic fill in the recapture.​

Where do you get the message? E-mail?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Guessing now but if you are using the same iCloud account then handover might cause this. What happens if you delete the internet cache (all of it) on both devices?
Have you installed any internet extensions or using VPN software that might tamper with the traffic?

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Guessing now but if you are using the same iCloud account then handover might cause this. What happens if you delete the internet cache (all of it) on both devices?
Have you installed any internet extensions or using VPN software that might tamper with the traffic?
Just tried it then and i still get the message. I’m tempted to wipe my devices. It literally happened immediately after i used the website on the ipad which makes me think the website has loaded some kind of malware? But then iOS and iPad etc I thought were immune from those?

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I’ve just turned off Apple iCloud relay and that seems to have maybe stopped it.. could it just be that interfering as opposed to anything malicious?

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I’ve just turned off Apple iCloud relay and that seems to have maybe stopped it.. could it just be that interfering as opposed to anything malicious?
That could very much has something to do with it. Did you turn it on recently?
You can mess around with it a bit, you can set it to be active on different connectivity.
Might be that it was enabled on WiFi and not cellular.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I get something similar as soon as I have Privacy Relay turned on. Google is always asking me for a Captcha or simply blocks my access to search when I search directly via the address bar on Safari. If I go to the actual „google.com“ website first and do a search from there, it works.

Reason why I turned it off

Reactions: JamesMay82

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
I get this too occasionally when using mobile data (Three UK network). Never on WiFi, though. I don't have Private Relay or use a VPN.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm... I was going to make a post about how Apple's breaking the IPv6 spec, but when I went to quote the relevant text I couldn't find it!

Private Relay uses IPv6 whenever it can, and it also re-uses addresses. In other words, customer A might get assigned a particular IP address one day, and then customer B might end up with it the next day.

I was under the impression that the IPv6 spec disallowed address re-use in this way. If an address was used by customer A, then that address should never be reassigned to customer B. Does anyone know whether that's true? I must have read it somewhere!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.