Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today introduced the Find My Device network for Android-based products, mirroring the functionality of Apple's Find My network that's designed to locate Apple devices.

android-find-my-device.jpg

Like Apple Find My, the Android Find My Device network is able to use the millions of Android devices (running Android 9 or later) out in the wild to track down lost, stolen, and missing Android products. A lost Android smartphone is able to ping nearby Android devices using Bluetooth, relaying location information back to the owner.

Because the network uses Bluetooth, it works even when Android devices are offline and do not have a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. Some devices, such as the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro, will be locatable even when powered off or when the battery is dead. Find My offers the same feature set for iPhones.

Starting in May, the Find My Device network for Android smartphones will also work with Bluetooth trackers from companies like Chipolo and Pebblebee, allowing Android users to attach trackers to items to locate them with the Android network. While Google isn't designing its own trackers, these third-party trackers will work in the same way that AirTags work.

To keep iPhone users from being tracked without their knowledge using this new network, Google worked with Apple to create an industry specification that lets both iPhone and Android users get alerts about nearby unknown item trackers regardless of the brand of the tracking device. Google waited until Apple implemented support for third-party tracker alerts to launch its network, based on code found in iOS 17.5.

iOS 17.5 appears to expand the "Found Moving With You" AirTag alerts to third-party item trackers, allowing the iPhone to recognize Android-based item trackers and those from other companies. "You can disable this item and stop it from sharing its location with the owner. To do this, follow the instructions provided on a website by the manufacturer of this item," reads some of the iOS 17.5 code.

Google was able to learn from the criticism that Apple faced after launching AirTags. There have been numerous news stories and reports of criminals using AirTags for stalking, car thefts, and more, leading Apple to make multiple changes to unwanted tracker alerts. Apple upped the frequency of notifications and also designed a Tracker Detect app for Android devices, but Apple's work with Google ensures a more permanent solution that keeps Android and iPhone users safe as another major tracking network launches.

Article Link: Google Launches Android Find My Device Network

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Pebblebee seems to work with both iOS and Android.
…but AFAIU with only one of either Google's Find My Device or Apple Find My™.

“Pebblebee has now two lines of products made for Android and made for iOS.”

Only their own proprietary app/network can connect to both types of devices:

“The Clip-for-Android won't work with the Apple Find My™ app. But you can still use Clip on iOS using the Pebblebee app.”

https://help.pebblebee.com/article/apvv6mlfxb-clip-gen2-specs

Last edited:

grantishere

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2023
HAHAHA. What are you smoking? Literally every "IOS" innovation Apple has produced since the iPhone 3G was copied from Google (and implemented years later). Google is like literally Apple's best R&D member. Ther rare occasion Google borrows an idea is fine with me.... Apple still in their debt.
*iOS

And Apple was the first to implement fingerprint recognition and facial recognition into consumer phones.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
And Apple was the first to implement fingerprint recognition and facial recognition into consumer phones.
…until you learn that it was already available on phones like the Toshiba Portégé G500 in mid-2007.

Oh wait… that was before the release of Apple’s first ever iPhone with At&T.

(We don’t need to be getting into awkward discussions on the arbitrary distinction what constitutes “consumer” and what doesn’t, do we?)

Last edited:
No one other than Apple can guarantee such a level of security and privacy.
Apple doesn't need to own it for that to happen. If instead they worked to create a standard that had security and privacy built in then everyone would get the benefit. That is what happened with HomeKit and Matter

HAHAHA. What are you smoking? Literally every "IOS" innovation Apple has produced since the iPhone 3G was copied from Google (and implemented years later). Google is like literally Apple's best R&D member. Ther rare occasion Google borrows an idea is fine with me.... Apple still in their debt.
Overall I agree with the general idea of Android having many features before Apple but you are being extremist which makes your point seem less valid.

Apple certainly led the way beyond the iPhone 3G. That is very extremist. I think it is better to say that iOS and Android both bring features to the masses that existed in some form prior to them doing it. They both borrow from all over the place. Also, from a numbers perspective Android has done this more frequently than Apple has and Apple often comes 2nd to the party in releasing these features.

*iOS

Making something ubiquitous is not the same as "first to" and your comment therefore is no accurate. Most often Apple is nowhere close to "first" but rather come later to the party. That tardiness however allows them to make those same features so well implemented that they become a "natural" part of technology devices for the average person. AKA "TouchID" or "FaceID" and all of the corresponding vertical integration that came with it.

TheMountainLife

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
Bluetooth tracking has become way more than I thought was possible. A few years ago I discovered my Comcast modem is able to communicate with Tile devices. I opted out of it but thought it was neat although it should have asked for permission before participating in their network.

• Haha
Reactions: cateye
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.