Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has announced a trio of new Chrome browser features for desktop and mobile that aim to provide more helpful suggestions when searching the web, even over poor data connections.

Chrome-Feature-22.jpg

On desktop, users who are signed into Chrome and open a new tab will now see suggestions in the search field related to their previous searches based on similar things others are looking for. For example, if you recently searched for "Japchae," you might see suggestions for other popular Korean dishes.

Elsewhere, Google says it has also improved image results. Previously, Chrome only displayed images for search suggestions in the address bar that matched a specific product users were looking for. Now on iOS and Android, Chrome will show images for broader shopping categories and products based on simple searches.

Lastly, Chrome on Android and iOS now has improved on-device capabilities that will give users search suggestions even when they have a poor network conntection. Google claims this will also mean more helpful suggestions when Incognito Mode is enabled.

Google says the three new features are now gradually being rolled out to Chrome users. The changes follow last week's launch of a new generative AI-based "Help me Write" feature that is available for Chrome browser for desktops.

Article Link: Google Boosts Chrome's Web Search Suggestions on Mobile and Desktop

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Google needs to do something about ChatGPT and the other LLMs especially now Apple's about to join the LLM crowd too. I find I rarely search on Google now, I ask ChatGPT4. The only time Google is relevant is when ChatGPT get's it wrong or gets stuck, which is rare, or when I'm looking for something recent or shopping for a product.

CoreForce

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
Thank you. Now please fix the increasingly more broken Google Maps CarPlay integration. E.g. getting stuck in mute after voice search, showing totally different menu without search after reconnecting the phone etc.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

tucotuti

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Google needs to do something about ChatGPT and the other LLMs especially now Apple's about to join the LLM crowd too. I find I rarely search on Google now, I ask ChatGPT4. The only time Google is relevant is when ChatGPT get's it wrong or gets stuck, which is rare, or when I'm looking for something recent or shopping for a product.
You might want to try Perplexity, which provides you the links to online sources, and is a little more similar to Google than ChatGPT. On other news, I changed to DuckDuckGo many years ago and find what I need 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFjohn

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Seems to me like Google is preparing to place ads in the search bar.
Any time I see “suggestions” anywhere in a product, I’m reminding myself that the developer is using the guise of “giving consumers easier access” to sellout under the rug and begin surfacing whatever from the highest bidder.

It���s sad that such skepticism is necessary, but I guess it’s where tech is at.

nuff_said

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
I’m sure Google knows ChatGPT and CoPilot are on their heels, and one of the reasons they rushed out Bard. Yes, it’s had its challenges recently but it’s expected when you rush out a product to market.

Yes, Google’s search results are terrible now especially since they place sponsored posts and use a whole bunch of other criteria positively impacting their bottom line at the top. On the other hand, let’s consider AI results will also be impacted to show you specific answers to your questions based on the individual(s) and company programming them.

nuff_said

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
I have to say I'm enjoying Bing. Still using chrome, google apps etc... but Microsoft is doing some good improvements
Bing reminds me of that kid in high school that the “cool kids” picked on but went on to become a better version of himself after high school. Yet, the “cool kids” only remember the high school version.
Bing is far from perfect but it’s still miles ahead of what it first was.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
We really live in a time where Bing is a better (or at least, less annoying) search engine than Google now, huh? 😮

Also, on iOS, I'd say Edge is a better browser since it has built-in adblocking, which mobile Chrome does not (for obvious reasons). On desktop, Firefox + Bing is the best (or perhaps least annoying) combination. 😎

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
We really live in a time where Bing is a better (or at least, less annoying) search engine than Google now, huh? 😮

Also, on iOS, I'd say Edge is a better browser since it has built-in adblocking, which mobile Chrome does not (for obvious reasons). On desktop, Firefox + Bing is the best (or perhaps least annoying) combination. 😎
Really? I tried Bing today out of morbid curiosity and the results page was a bloated mess of information. Total sensory overload. Not sure if it’s my search query or something but I couldn’t take it and switched.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and xSushi

leicaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
By boost, does that translate to more ads and less search? Because it's hard to imagine how it could be any worse than it is now.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ

The build in blocker with Edge, I still see way too many ads

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Google is terrible now. I was looking for a synopsis about a Netflix movie to get a general idea. Google literally had a search result that spoiled the twist.

Really? L

Image search sucks.

I use bing. I’ll only use google if I need to search Reddit for a specific topic.

Google is trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.