Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
I just got an iPad and I’ve noticed that between my phone and my tablet, only one gets Gmail notifications at a time. Sometimes it’s the tablet, sometimes it’s the phone. I would expect both get the notification and dismiss when it’s been viewed on a device (laptop, phone, or tablet). To be clear, I’m using the Gmail app.

I’ve already tried to uninstall and reinstall on both devices to no avail.

Any idea what’s going on?

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Yes, I mentioned this in the post.
Must have missed that. To be honest there’s not a lot to trouble shoot, Gmail does requiring any kind of cloud sync so each app is a standalone instance on your device. Unless the notification system on your devices are setup differently there should be no affect on Gmails side.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Do the messages arrive on both, but only notify on one? Check notification settings on the app in Settings > Notifications > Gmail (and I don't just mean "Look at it" - change the settings to something else, and change them back to re-write the settings).

nxt3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Do the messages arrive on both, but only notify on one? Check notification settings on the app in Settings > Notifications > Gmail (and I don't just mean "Look at it" - change the settings to something else, and change them back to re-write the settings).
I’m not getting a notification, no badges, nothing on one of the devices. If I get notified on my iPad, I won’t know I have an email on my phone until I open the Gmail app. The notification settings at the system level are the same on both devices.

I tried changing all of the settings to something and then changed them back—no dice. Right now it seems only my phone is getting notifications. It’s like the most recent device that I’ve installed Gmail on gets notifications. If I uninstall and reinstall on my iPad, that will become the device that gets notified.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Must have missed that. To be honest there’s not a lot to trouble shoot, Gmail does requiring any kind of cloud sync so each app is a standalone instance on your device. Unless the notification system on your devices are setup differently there should be no affect on Gmails side.
I know it’s such a weird issue. iMessage, Messenger, and other apps aren’t exhibiting this issue. 😔

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’m not getting a notification, no badges, nothing on one of the devices. If I get notified on my iPad, I won’t know I have an email on my phone until I open the Gmail app. The notification settings at the system level are the same on both devices.
I understand you're getting the notification. So the email is on your phone when you open the Gmail app, then? If so, follow the advice in my previous post (don't just LOOK at the settings - change them & change them back).

nxt3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
I understand you're getting the notification. So the email is on your phone when you open the Gmail app, then? If so, follow the advice in my previous post (don't just LOOK at the settings - change them & change them back).
I did change them, I changed all of them. It didn’t affect anything.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Does anyone else have an iPad and iPhone with Gmail installed? How do your devices behave when getting an email notification?

I’m wondering if Gmail tries to only notify the most recently used device. If I use my phone for 30min, that device starts to be the one to notify. Same if I start using my iPad and haven’t picked up my phone for awhile.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Okay so it actually is the last device to have had Gmail opened and synced will get notifications. It’s so strange.

When I setup my iPad for the first time I used my iPhone’s iCloud backup as the starting point. Wonder if that has something to do with it? I would assume uninstalling and reinstalling would fix that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.