Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games says it has submitted the Epic Games Store to Apple for notarization under Apple's alternative app marketplace policy in the European Union.

fortnite-apple-logo-2.5.jpg

The ‌Epic Games‌ Store will include popular game Fortnite, which means ‌iPhone‌ users in the EU will be able to install and play the title without having to use a cloud gaming service. Epic said it was "targeting the next couple months for the store and Fortnite on iOS in the EU." An ‌iPad‌ version of Fortnite is expected to follow this year.

Fortnite has been banned from the iOS App Store for the last several years due to the legal dispute between Apple and ‌Epic Games‌. An avenue for its return was only made possible after Apple made it possible for iPhone‌ users in the EU to download apps from alternative app marketplaces rather than the App Store, as well as directly from developer websites.

Apple is charging a 0.50 euro Core Technology Fee per year for apps installed outside of the ‌App Store‌ (and in the ‌App Store‌ for developers who opt in to the new terms and also still choose to use Apple's system), but there are no ‌App Store‌ commissions or in-app fees. While Apple is waiving fees for the first one million installs, the 0.50 per user fee will cost app developers like ‌Epic Games‌ a notable amount of money, especially given that Epic will often be charged twice – once for its app marketplace and once again for every Fortnite install.

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney has been critical of Apple's App Store changes to bring its policies in line with the Digital Markets Act (DMA). Sweeney has described the changes as a "devious new instance of malicious compliance," and called Apple's charges "junk fees." The European Commission last week formally announced its preliminary view that Apple's App Store policies are in breach of the DMA. The Commission also said it would open a new non-compliance procedure against Apple over concerns that its contractual requirements for third-party app developers and app marketplaces, including its Core Technology Fee, "fall short of ensuring effective compliance with Apple's obligations under the DMA."

Article Link: Fortnite and Epic Games Store Submitted to Apple for iOS Launch in EU

Reactions: Saipher and .wojtek

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Imagine Apple not approving it lol
Depends if they violated any rules in the version they are submitting. What got Fortnite in trouble in the first place was knowingly submitting a version that violated rules, knowing it would get them booted and then give them standing to start legal action. So depends if they want their store up, or if they want to be able to get more and thus submit a version that will get banned so that they can see if the EU will force Apple to allow more of what they want.

lkrupp

macrumors 68010
Jul 24, 2004
It has been pointed out that while Android has had third party app stores for years the vast majority of Android users stick exclusively to the Google Play store for their apps. The same will occur with third party iOS stores. Of course the novelty factor will be in play at first but will quickly wear off. Just my prediction and I know the techie wannabes behind this will not agree. This is just like the jaibreaking “community” of outliers who do things because they can, no need for justification or usefulness.

Bottom line is that all of this is for a small minority of users.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
They weren’t fine with epic.

Because Epic stopped giving them their cut.. The relationship was fine and dandy until that point.

Can we expect a macOS Fortnite app too? There was no reason for Epic to stop supporting Fortnite on the Mac.

I really hope the include macOS too or make a Universal app.

Apple cancelled their developer license. It could technically be installed, but you would get the warning about it being an unsafe and untested application and have to override it to continue.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
"The ‌Epic Games‌ Store will include popular game Fortnite, which means ‌iPhone‌ users in the EU will be able to install and play the title without having to use a cloud gaming service."

I thought the EU liked cloud gaming services?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Congratulations EU people for getting to install whatever software you want on the computing devices you own. The rest of us have this exact same ability with our Macs but you get to enjoy the capability with your iDevices too. They are- after all- YOUR computing devices, no longer belonging to the manufacturer.

Those of us completely unaffected by your laws will be sure to bash away at something of zero consequence for us anyway... but I'd bet fairly large that many of those most vocal have a third-party sourced app (or several) on their own Macs... and that hasn't led to security meltdowns, trojans, viruses, bank account drains, death of first born, locusts & frogs and the four horsemen (but we'll let on that all that is going to happen to you, even though these laws will be in play for 4 months now in just a few more days). "Wolf! Wolf!" the boy cried... but will the villagers come yet again... or finally realize the truth (they already know from Macs always being this way)?

Enjoy access to apps that the rest of us can't access... because "Father" knows best.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Take a look at the games section of the US App Store. 9 out every 10 games are sleazy and run by a sleazy developer..

Apple is fine with sleazy businesses as long as they get their cut.
Every time game developers release full fledged console quality games at regular prices they flop. Unfortunately on mobile most consumers will only play what you call sleazy free to play games.

Reactions: xyz01

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Congratulations EU people for getting to install whatever software you want on the computing devices you own. The rest of us have this exact same ability with our Macs but you get to enjoy the capability with your iDevices too. They are- after all- YOUR computing devices, no longer belonging to the manufacturer.

Those of us completely unaffected by your laws will be sure to bash away at something of zero consequence for us anyway... but I'd bet fairly large that many of those most vocal have a third-party sourced app (or several) on their own Macs... and that hasn't led to security meltdowns, trojans, viruses, bank account drains, death of first born, locusts & frogs and the four horsemen (but we'll let on that all that is going to happen to you, even though these laws will be in play for 4 months now in just a few more days). "Wolf! Wolf!" the boy cried (again)... but will the villagers come again???

Enjoy access to apps that the rest of us can't access... because "Father" knows best.
Look at me, I haven’t figured out that Apple built iOS after learning lessons from OS X - so I’ll make the platform worse for everyone else, falsely claim no is impacted if they don’t want to be, because I know best!

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
250 Million monthly Fortnite players that might choose a Windows machine over a Mac because theres no Fortnite. 250 Million potentially lost customers for Apple. Solid move Tim.
Most people who prefer pc gaming is buying a windows machine regardless. The absence of fortnight on Apple devices hasn’t seemed to move the market especially considering the game easily available on all game consoles

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016

Those of us completely unaffected by your laws will be sure to bash away at something of zero consequence for us anyway... but I'd bet fairly large that many of those most vocal have a third-party sourced app (or several) on their own Macs... and that hasn't led to security meltdowns, trojans, viruses, bank account drains, death of first born, locusts & frogs and the four horsemen (but we'll let on that all that is going to happen to you, even though these laws will be in play for 4 months now in just a few more days). "Wolf! Wolf!" the boy cried... but will the villagers come yet again... or finally realize the truth (they already know from Macs always being this way)?

You can always go buy an android device that allows you the option to install 3rd party stores if that feature is so important to you. People buy apple devices knowing that it isn’t an option.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

May each and every one of you here get the device you deserve. 😏

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Look at me, I haven’t figured out that Apple built iOS after learning lessons from OS X - so I’ll make the platform worse for everyone else, falsely claim no is impacted if they don’t want to be, because I know best!

If you are not in the EU, how is it made worse for you? And if you ARE in the EU, no one is forcing you to buy apps from any source other than the precious.

As to the "false claim", how long until the doom & destruction shows itself? These laws went into effect in early March. Based on the wall of certainty about the EU doom, I would expect the EU to be fully melted down by now. Instead, I've not even seen ONE story of any trouble at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.