Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is unlikely to release a foldable iPhone before 2027, but it could significantly disrupt the market when it launches, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce.

Foldable-iPhone-2023-Feature-Yellow.jpg

The report highlights that foldable phones currently represent a mere 1.5% of the smartphone market, with projections suggesting an increase to 4.8% by 2028. Apple is apparently "still evaluating component specifications and performance, with strict requirements for crease and reliability." Screen creasing is an issue that plagues many current foldable devices, raising concerns about long-term durability and the risk of screen damage from debris.

Despite the emergence of a range of popular foldable devices from the likes of Samsung, Huawei, Motorola, and Nubia, Apple's delayed entry to the foldable space is not necessarily a disadvantage. The company's significant market influence and established customer base mean that a foldable iPhone could quickly gain popularity upon release. As a result, analysts believe that Apple's entry into the foldable phone space could "significantly shift market dynamics."

Apple is widely expected to release a large-screen foldable iPad or MacBook to kick-off its foray into the product category before launching a higher volume foldable iPhone.

Article Link: Foldable iPhone Unlikely to Launch Before 2027

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
A foldable phone definitely is one of those I need to see it before I buy into it thing. I can see (pun intended) how it could be a good thing, but not if clunky like the current offerings from Samsung.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
I have tried some foldable phones. I NEED one from Apple. Can’t understand why Apple has not been able to develop one, it seems Apple has no capability or desires since there is no Chinese competitors anymore for apple, there is no need to innovate I guess. Good for the consumer!

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I'm likely to hold onto my iPad mini until then so the timing could work out perfectly. AppleCare might be a good idea though.

Reactions: TydalForce

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I have tried some foldable phones. I NEED one from Apple. Can’t understand why Apple has not been able to develop one, it seems Apple has no capability or desires since there is no Chinese competitors anymore for apple, there is no need to innovate I guess. Good for the consumer!
Because the technology isn't there yet. I don't see Apple making one until they can do it without it forming a crease on the screen.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
As you can’t try it, watch videos about the H. Brand from China, model x3 or x5. Almost as thin as a Pro max, but multi screen

Tomasulu

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2015
If it even got out the gate, it will be exorbitant. And it will be another niche product like the Vision Pro. In other words a failed product that doesn’t move the needle. Why bother?

Reactions: Jovijoker and ab2c4

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Foldables have progressed quite a bit since their inception, can't wait to see Apple's take on them eventually. Although maybe something between now and then will supplant them like AR or a different type of expanding screen paradigm.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
I really wish this nonsense would end.

Foldable screens are a really stupid idea. There's no currently existing material that allows a screen to fold and is sufficiently durable for a phone. All foldable phones have ugly creases within a week, the screens delaminate and look horrible very quickly.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This is great timing for two reasons:

1) The Pro line will likely be all screen by then with the camera underneath it

2) By then, the crease will be non-existent and the screens will be even better than they are now.

Bonus: Apple gets to sell an even higher price iPhone to add to the lineup. Lol.

IllegitimateValor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2023
I think that puts the foldable iPhone in the timeline after eliminating the notch/cutout. That’s essential. Also should have a camera on each corner and built in slot for pencil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.